Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Atlanta United FC (Wednesday, 9/19) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 3 - 4 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

kennytt repped this.
  2. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Un-********ing-believable.

kennytt, sacrxy and Skillachii repped this.
  3. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    ******** this shit. I'm pissed.

4. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it always is.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U.S. "pissed" (i.e. very angry) or the U.K. "pissed" (i.e. very drunk)? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If only the games lasted 60 minutes instead of 90...

kennytt and 2in10 repped this.
  7. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    New York Pissed, A.I I'd like to punch somebody

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it. I was hoping someone would kick the ref in the balls at the end of the game, or step on that diving ass from Atlanta when he was wasting time at the end.

9. OriginalQuakesGal

Oct 4, 2004
    San Jose/Portland
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOTH!

Quakealope repped this.
  10. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So why 6+ min of stoppage time? (COUGH! so Atlanta has a chance to pull out win, COUGH!!)

Beerking, davez and bobby_guzman repped this.
  11. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I never want to see this ref again, he was unbelievable.

1) 1st VAR call totally incorrect, the play being reviewed didn't fit under the guidelines of a VAR, it wasn't related to the goal being scored, it wasn't in the box, it was a red car review play. Totally incorrect use of the VAR guidelines. Everyone associated with it should be sanctioned by the league.

2) The 4 minutes of stoppage time added on the 1st half, totally incorrect. See #1 above.

3) Wondo was even with two defenders on goal #4 which was disallowed.

4) The 6 minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game, ridiculous.

So four massive mistakes by the the referees, which changed the outcome of the game.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The six minutes of stoppage, I have less of a problem with. If the ref is going to call back two minutes of play due to VAR - it's like the game stopped when Magnus did his handball, and the next two minutes of soccer didn't happen - those minutes should be made up at the end of the game. The ref is like Superman, flying around the earth backwards to go back in time, except the exact opposite of that, because Superman was a good guy and this ref is a piece of crap.

Sactown Soccer, Beerking and davez repped this.
  13. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, we had our chances during those 6 minutes too. But in the end, the quality of the players show through. And no way can we beat the number one team in the league backed by the league itself.

But we got way more heart than them, way more. Hats off to the boys tonight, so proud of them!!!

14. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Yes, Atlanta was supposed to win this game so the referee crew ensured that Atlanta would win.

Sactown Soccer, Beerking and 2in10 repped this.
  15. Skillachii

Skillachii Member

Chelsea
    Aug 23, 2017
    Nah It was all psychological. SJ was absolutely crushing them up to that point. All Atlanta could do was pass the ball around in the middle. Then that call happened and it all fell apart. You could tell how tilted the whole team was right away.

davez, SoccerMan94043, Beerking and 4 others repped this.
  16. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    So apparently, a Magnus handball, two minutes before the Wondo goal, was VAR which caused his goal to be disallowed. WTF. Really. That is not in the officially described uses of the VAR. If we are going to do the VAR rule then let's review all the play that has occured since the last stoppage - or better yet, let's just eliminate the refs entirely and let computers analyze all the angles and make all the calls... This is complete CRAP. CRAP. CRAP.

The fix is in. Only the "Good" teams can win, we can just take our lumps of coal.

P.S. Don't call me for season tickets until you fix this crap.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Oh yeah, forgot one thing. I don't care who wins the Cup as long as it isn't stinking Atlanta. They are stinking filthy cheaters.

bobby_guzman and mjlee22 repped this.
  18. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm in Twitter jail because I called out MLS to refund my season ticket money for rigging their damn league. What a load of crap.

19. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually have no complaints. The guys played with heart and never quit. Danny & Vako had terrific goals. While I generally hate Bazakos, that VAR call was not really his fault. It’s a fifa problem to go back 2+ minutes in play.

Either way it was the most entertaining game all season.

Quakealope, 2in10 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was easily the worst officiating I have ever witnessed. I don't believe you can play games under protest in MLS, but if the Quakes could have, they should have. What a travesty. And we all thought Stahre was bad at his job.

bobby_guzman and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm fuming mad. Robbing Wondo of his goal to give Josef Martinez a PK smells of a fix, and was the low point of a truly abysmal season. There better be f^cking indisputable evidence to support the VAR reversal, and if there is it just proves what an incompetent ref was out there tonight, because if it was so obvious he should have seen it contemporaneously.

Why didn't Atlanta's handball at the end warrant at least a VAR review?

I floated dispassionately through a 5-1 spanking the other night. I expected a loss tonight. I can live comfortably with losing. But I cannot abide crookedness.

F*ck You Ref.

Sactown Soccer, Alan S, Beerking and 8 others repped this.
  22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Also want to note that Lima is a terrible defender. He was beaten on the turn every single time, yet again. I'm tired of him. Even with his goal, I think he's been an absolute disaster this year. The backline needs a complete overhaul.

ColinMcCarthy and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  23. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    First if all, heads off to the team for everything they put on the field. It was not perfect but the heart was there. Remember how Salinas chased down a hopeless ball and gained a corner?

And that ref is the same linesman on the bench side usually and he always missed calls even as a linesman.

I want to know how far VAR can travel back in time to reverse a call and what can be reversed. Let’s say Wondo didn’t score but instead Godoy got a red card two minutes after the incident. If they can render a good goal invalid, can they also cancel the red card?

Good to see TT. He did well with the minutes he was given. It proves that it was Stahre who didn’t even want to consider him. Also the useless Oduro is not even on the bench.

Sactown Soccer, 2in10, davez and 3 others repped this.
  24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's how VAR is supposed to work, then they can throw VAR on the scrapheap of Ideas That Were Supposed To Make Soccer Better But Instead Just Sucked. It can go next to the MLS shootout (1996-99) and the Colorado Caribous fringe uniforms.

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see JT get a start and TT get some minutes, but, for the life of me, I don't know why anyone would start Eriksson over Hyka.