San Jose Earthquakes Academy is on its way!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SCQuakes408, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    3-0 Quakes falling apart. Goal on corner kick

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quakes need to settle down and get a goal.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Halftime Quakes trail 3-0. They gave up all 3 in a 5 minute span. They need to make adjustments and play their game. They did score 4 on Zenit last game but that will be hard to do in 30 minutes

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Second half kicked off.

5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Goal Zenit! 4-0. Quakes defender with bad communication with his keeper. Very easy goal

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    5-0 Zenit. Volley in 6 yard box. Quakes are badly outclassed in this game. Maybe they are just run down playing everyday

7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Best Quakes chance turns out to be offside.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    10 minutes left in final. 6-0 Zenit now

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Final 6-0. Quakes were totally dominated. Too bad, it was a nice run.

Things the Quakes did well:

They played very risky passing out of the back and it worked quite well. I expected them to cough up some easy chances but they picked the right passes almost every time. The problems started when they got to half line.

What they didn't do well:

Pretty much everything else. They were especially poor on clearing balls that they should have handled easily. Several whiffs of the Vega variety and poor communication with their keeper lead to some easy goals. They also didn't handle corner kicks very well. Zenit was slightly bigger, but it was more Quakes marking poorly than Zenit just pushing them around. Also, the Quake's offense was not executing at all. It looked like every player that touched the ball up front wanted to dribble past 3-4 defenders first before picking his head up. Zenit was happy to see that.

sacrxy and tenfourteen repped this.
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 44 U18-29 DAs will go to a 2 tier red/blue system

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    MLS teams were leaning towards going to an all MLS DA league. I wonder if this is the first step towards that?

mjlee22 repped this.
  12. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Good for Nico. He played in our AYSO region as a youngster and moved to Club play after 10U. Talented kid and very nice. Shaun is a good guy too. He is coaching with LG United now, I believe.

13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s another step. Does ussf DA have sponsors?

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Rueter in The Athletic (paywall) reported that the USL will launch a new academy system in 2020/21, where each participating club fields one team that spans U15-U19. The players can also continue to play for their normal clubs.

15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    So basically that’s like a high school varsity team.

mjlee22 repped this.
  16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point!

I wish USSoccer would work better with the high school system to identify players through their high schools, rather than just club play. Why is high school soccer so different from basketball, baseball, and football? How did we get into this state where club coaches don’t allow their kids to play HS

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure about the east coast but in the CCS anyway, HS soccer isn't as good as club ball. It was good in the 70's & 80's but then I think when marquee club soccer started around the late 80's and 90's , all the top players started bypassing playing for their high schools. Its understandable as the season is barely 12 weeks long from November until January or early February. A few top schools though keep their top players intact.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in my day, club soccer was played in the fall, and school soccer in the spring, so the schools had access to the best players. And there were no "marquee" clubs yet that went year-round.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had spoken to the Prospect High School Boys' Soccer. Varsity Coach, Frank Medina a while back and he actually wanted all of his players to play on the same club team. I believe he won 2 CCS D2 Championships since 2009.

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I was looking over the new DA Cup schedule for the Quakes academy team and I noticed that Ballistic United is only fielding a U-15 team this year. Perhaps they have decided to just play club soccer at the 17 and 19 level?

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Well, I was wrong about Ballistic. They do have a U-17 academy team and the Quake’s academy scrimmaged them tonight. 3-0 Quakes and it wasn’t even that close. Quakes had plenty of scoring opportunities and Ballistic struggled to get the ball near the goal until late when the Quakes had most of the bench players in.

A couple of U-15 kids played up in the game and had some good moments. On Saturday the U-17s scrimmaged Napa United and beat them 2-0. Week before that they beat Santa Rosa United 6-2. Good looking group that should have a much better season this year.

Beckham7 repped this.
  22. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    The Quakes have posted an "Academy Season Preview" to their website for the U-19s, U-17s, U-15s, U-14s, and U-13s, but other than a few quotes about the three homegrowns who are eligible to play on the U-19 (Gilbert & Jacob) and U-17 (Cade), the "previews" basically say the coaches are very excited to work with their group of kids.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2019/09/03/academy-boys-da-coaches-preview-2019-20-season

It would have been nice to at least to get a roster for each team. Still, I guess this is progress as I don't recall anything like this in the past.

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quake’s homegrown Gilbert Fuentes scored for the U-17 National Team in the Four Nations Tournament against Holland.

don gagliardi repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Heard a rumor that the Quakes have offered a homegrown contract to an academy player. Not going to identify him or the team but I heard it was 5 years. That may be standard (3 year guaranteed with 2 option? Just a guess)

25. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Getting pumped for the start of a new academy season this weekend. I think there is a nice “Almeyda” effect this year as several of the boy’s teams have added strong players from other local teams in a focused recruiting campaign.

I’m going to follow the U-17 team closely this year but I’m also intrigued by the U-15 and U-19s as well. I’m going to probably jinx them by saying this, but I only know of a single preseason loss by all 3 teams, the final in China with the U-15s.

The teams open in LA on Saturday against the Galaxy and then on Sunday against Patedores.

RocktheCasbah4 repped this.