San Jose Earthquakes Academy is on its way!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SCQuakes408, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If they can’t move the needle in Reno, what value would it be to play them in San Jose?

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If that's the case, we are back to square one. Therefore, what's the point of the academy? We have been waiting 9 years , so where are players?

Mar 4, 2010

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Almost 20% of the starting line up were homegrown players. What percentage are you expecting?

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  4. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably as part of the same trip/interview Lagerway also appeared on @extratime. During the pod, he mentioned the Sounders academy pathway is to play in USL for 2 years and then transition to the first team. He measures the academy's success by the number of players they have on youth National Teams (I think he said 20, but I might be wrong).

xbhaskarx repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1830 falvo, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019

20%???? There were only three American both players on the field! Wondo, a 36 year old relic who came up with Doyle's Mustangs. Tommy Thompson who played 19 youth academy games and whom Doyle knew his dad and who was a token signing. Nick Lima who played 4 years of college ball for Kevin Grimes at Cal and who is also from the east bay with Doyle & Kinnear connections. These are the products of our "9 year academy"?

bsman, mjlee22 and bobby_guzman repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another rising star?????
    https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/community/cambrian/cambrian-sports/article228434034.html
    Salvador Aguilar excelling with Quakes Academy team.

"Salvador Aguilar, Cambria’s gifted 16-year-old soccer prodigy who signed a contract with the San Jose Earthquakes Academy last August following a sensational freshman year at Coast Union High School, continues to impress."

"He scored four goals in a five-game span recently with the Earthquakes U-16/17 team. Since the season started last September, he has appeared in almost every one of the team’s 16 games, starting 13 and playing in 15."

"He has advanced to the point where he is assigned to train with the Earthquakes Major League Soccer team once a week. “It’s a wonderful experience,” said Aguilar, who was home for his 16th birthday on March 17."

Bajoro, Boysinblue and MtnGardener repped this.
  7. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    So my son lives in Albuquerque and I had a discussion today with an acquaintance there who is involved the major youth soccer club in the city. He said they just signed an agreement to align their program with the Portland Timbers (boys) and Thorns (girls teams). Did I mentioned this is New Mexico? As in four states away.

I thought New Mexico was SLC territory, so not sure how this works.

But in any case, it shows how Quakes are doing compared to other MLS teams!

Salinas is too far away for the Quakes???

8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1116490474942939137 is not a valid tweet id

9. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, Joel Soria deleted the tweet. It was about a restructure within the Quakes academy.

10. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I was able to read the article before it was taken down. It made it sound like the Quakes academy is in disarray after Paul Holocher left.

I think one of the main points of the article was that the Quake's main focus will be on elite Development Academies. Wonder if a new article will be posted?

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wish I could have read it before it disappeared. I wonder if a lot of those academy affiliations that are being removed were personal relationships with Holocher? I’ve heard multiple instances of top players in the local area being advised “anywhere but the Earthquakes” by coaches, directors etc. Sad that they are being pushed to other professional teams for development.

12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is supposedly going to remove territorial rights to youth players. So basically the best local players will get scooped up by LA

13. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Fuentes with a great strike in Generation Adidias tournament for SJ lead. It’s on twitch tv live right now

Beckham7 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the deal with Jacob Akanyirige? You never seen him play for the youth teams or Reno. He was also a surprise signing to a lot of people. Is this another Jesse mistake?

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He’s too old for U-17s I think

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quakes give two quick goals and now down 2-1

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quakes left back getting over run.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Fuentes looks good but Cade is struggling to get on the ball and make an impact

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Casey Walls looks tired and very average. Salvador Aguilar isn’t involved in the offense.

21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where a link is helpful. ;)

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quakes lose 2-1. Too bad, Fuentes played well but the rest of the team struggled to play at this level. I get the impression they are tired with their third game in two days and they seem to have a lack of depth. Left side of defense got exploited in second half. Left back is always the Quake’s problem, right?

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Earthshaker repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I hope Fuentes gets picked for the U-17 championships. He was outstanding today against a quality Midtjylland team. They beat some good teams in the youth version of Champions League like Manchester United. Wish Fuentes was a little bigger, but he certainly was aggressive when he needed to be.

This was my first extended look at Casey Walls and he disappointed me. He is big and strong, but his legs must have been heavy because he was not involved as much as I expected. He did try and play over the top several times but the windy field conditions knocked balls down and it was pretty much turned over. It seemed like he was directing guys around in the first half but he seemed much more subdued in the second half when Midtjylland started attacking in waves. HIs left back left him stranded several times and that's a position that Quakes will need to improve if they hope to be among the better of the U-17 teams.

Cade Cowell was pretty much a non-factor. I'm guessing that Midtjylland had done their scouting homework and made sure he was not seeing the ball too much. The few times he did, he caused some trouble but did too much himself and got dispossessed. His speed was good but not mind blowing. It's possible he was also just worn out from so much soccer in 2 days.

Salvador is a guy I was curious to watch. He's suppose to be the big scoring forward for SJ but he got very few opportunites. I recall one header he could have done better with, but mostly he was invisible. His speed looked quite average and his touch was just okay. I think he still has some things to work on before the Quakes should consider him for a homegrown contract.

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report.