San Jose Earthquakes Academy is on its way!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SCQuakes408, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    #1651 jeff_adams, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Salinas United Boy's U-14 (2004s) just won the US Soccer far west regional chanpionship.

https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/tourn...l-championships/schedule/14u-boys/division-1/

One close game the whole tournament. Pretty much crushed the competion while scoring a ton of goals (27GF, 7GA). Next stop Frisco, Texas to play against the winners of the other 3 regions for the United States Club Championship July 23-29th.

As far as I know, none of the Salinas players are being scouted by the Quakes. I know one of the kids is going to Idaho for the ODP Region IV camp for the 3rd year in a row. He played for Region IV last fall against the other regions in Arizona and made the All-Tournament team. Paul Holocher has no idea who he is. Sad.

You watch, several of the kids will end up playing for Mexican club teams in Liga MX.

falvo, JazzyJ, bsman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought Ramiro was out there scouting the coastal towns and running the Santa Cruz youth academy?

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I did hear he’s involved with Breakers Academy but they are not affiliated with the Quakes (anymore than De Anza Force is)

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I knew Jeff Baicher’s De Anza Force wasn’t affiliated with the Quakes but I thought at least Ramiro would be.

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there youth clubs affiliated with the Quakes when the Quakes have an academy team at the same age? Because then it would seem the Quakes would just suck up your best players. So why would any club affiliate?

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They did before but you are right I don’t think the youth academies want to give away their players.

mjlee22 and bsman repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The "youth academies" mostly exist to suck up parents' financial resources, so yeah - they're not going to affiliate with the MLS academies. Years ago, before the Quakes had academy teams at all age groups the DeAnza Force club was affiliated, but that time has passed.

falvo and mjlee22 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the Force , Sporting and even the Mustangs are still getting top players. Not every player can sign with the Quakes academy and even if they get 1-2 players at each position, there are still another 50-60 who are just as good and could even be potentially better.

Just because the Quakes sign a certain player doesn’t guarantee instant succcess. Judging by the fact that no player has signed on to the first team in 8 years other than 19 game Tommy Thompson , is proof that top players signing with the Quakes youth clubs don’t really pan out.

bsman and mjlee22 repped this.
  10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Nick Lima play in the Quakes academy?

And they signed Jacob Akanyirage and Gilbert Fuentes at the start of the year.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1662 falvo, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Does Lima really count as an academy player? I mean after he played four years at Cal? What is the point of a player attending an academy if he is going to play college ball anyway? If that’s the case, they should just go back to utilizing and grooming college players. From what I recall , Kevin Grimes I believe said a kid can’t play for an academy team or train with the pros while he is in school and therefore , there isn’t much sense to the academy at that point.

Oh yeah Jacob Akanyirage and Gilbert Fuentes …. I hope they get in a game some day....

13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(
    1011794660380037122 is not a valid tweet id

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So he is one of our academy players who is going to England?

That is truly sad....

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he played in the Quakes academy then he is a academy player.

So, the Quakes have signed 3 more players than you thought to the first team.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four, there is also JT Marcinkowski.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1667 falvo, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    The point of the academy in my opinion is to develop, play with them, then sign and play with the first team before your 20th BD. Then if they are good enough they should start or at least play with the senior team. Lima didn't learn the game with the academy but even if he did, he mostly came up with the DeAnza Force, then played briefly to the Quakes Academy afterwards. Therefore, Jeff Baicher and the Force should get credit but he became a better player at Cal playing for Kevin Grimes. JT Marcinkowski was also was a college star playing 3 years at Georgetown. Neither he, Jacob Akanyirage or Gilbert Fuentes have yet played an MLS game for the Quakes. I hope they will all turn out to be great players but the jury is still out if they will ever even turn into starters.If they are tanking the season anyway, they should start or at least play each of those players now not in 3 -5 years time.

18. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They defeated Atlanta United, 3-0, even though the Atlanta kids have that palatial (excuse me, "world class") training center with the round room and lots of TVs. What gives?

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/2017/4/12/15265558/atlanta-united-training-facility-opening

Guess these Atlanta kids put on their pants one leg at a time just like the rest of pubescent world.

20. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only good thing going on in the organization right now.

21. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Based on what?

22. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno maybe scroll up a few posts.

23. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

IMG_3573.jpg IMG_3572.jpg

24. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Holocher is out.

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...-historic-year-coaching-change-jj-foe-nuphaus

Paul Holocher to Pursue New Career Opportunity with the Houston Dynamo

Quakes Academy director of formation Paul Holocher will move on from the Quakes Academy, having accepted a position as the Academy director for the Houston Dynamo. Holocher, whose wife is from Houston, joined the Quakes Boys’ Academy in 2015 as the head coach of the U-16s and U-18s, and became the director of formation in 2017, focusing on youth development and cultivating the pipeline to the senior academy squads.....

25. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be nice if they could snag Hugo Perez.

DotMPP and chris thebassplayer repped this.