San Jose Earthquakes Academy is on its way!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SCQuakes408, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... not so sure Wolff has much to do with that property anymore.
    Costco is going to put a store there, and a high-tech company is going to build as well. It does mention that there are existing entitlements for 700 residential units.
    perhaps Wolff declined to exercise an option on the property? Or only has control over a smaller portion of it.
    https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...x-acquires-san-jose-land-for-data-center.html

2. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To the detriment of San Jose. The City simply has too much housing relative to jobs and commerce :(

3. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If I lived in San Jose, I'd want to know how the city spent $3M to $4M of bond funds to plan soccer fields without actually building them and now doesn't have enough money to complete the fields at the (now likely unavailable) Airport West site.

Looks like this plan is back to the drawing board with a thinner wallet.

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I live in San Jose, and I have followed the bond measure from inception. The issue goes back more than decade before the Quakes or the Airport West site even came into the picture.

Very few people in San Jose "want to know" what's up, least of all the local media. Indeed, without exaggeration, I suspect of those outside city hall I've probably followed the soccer fields issue more closely over its entire 18 year odyssey than anyone of the million other residents.

The trouble, generally, with bond measures in San Jose is that the city uses the funds to backfill its general fund to pay salaries of city hall bureaucrats. Hence, your plausible allusion to millions spent "to plan soccer fields." The branch library bond measure suffered a similar fate, albeit it was implemented in a more orderly way than the parks measure.

The Quakes are committed to having an academy complex, and as I understand it the Airport West developer is on the hook for cost overruns. My informed speculation is that other potential site(s) are on the drawing board but the bureaucrats do not want to publicly disclose where they are looking at the moment.

bobby_guzman and Socarchist repped this.
  5. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Costco has already put a store there, it opened last August. Equinix has also constructed a data center on the site, which opened last year as well. Another potential site nearby was purchased by Equinix last year for around $40 million, it is 34 acres on Santa Teresa Blvd. but has been subdivided (El Camino Hospital is planning to put a facility there). Running out of spots in San Jose...

xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don gagliardi repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The certificates are a real nice Club touch.

8. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

falvo repped this.
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just discovered that FC Barcelona has an academy in Austin and that apparently any team can arrange to get training at FCB’s facility with UEFA Pro licensed coaches. Maybe the Quakes academy should go there?!

https://clinics.fcbarcelona.us/fcb-clinic/

OTOH, the Austin academy is interested in hiring anyone with a USSF E license...

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We should be boycotting Austin.

12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I know. I was just shocked as to why Barca would allow what I assume is a franchise in Austin.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The huge swings in the score lines of academy games continue to demonstrate that the system is nowhere near ready to provide the type of competition required to drive players to improve along international level trajectories.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14-0. Poor Marin Alliance.

16. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Not trying to jump on you, but there are a lot of things that underly the score. You'd have to assume that each game is the same players with the same instructions and the end goal to "win at any cost" to draw such a drastic conclusion.

17. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a generic statement about the DA system as a whole.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/23/stejskal-new-depth-and-focus-youth-san-jose-feel-good-2018

This winter’s Homegrown signings, 20-year-old goalkeeper J.T. Marcinkowski and 16-year-olds Gilbert Fuentes and Jacob Akanyirige, won’t make nearly as much of an impact in 2018. Fuentes and Akanyirige likely won’t clock a single first-team minute this year, while Marcinkowski is battling with Matt Bersano to begin the season as the No. 2 ‘keeper behind starter Andrew Tarbell.

To Fioranelli, that doesn’t lessen the importance of bringing them on board, particularly when it comes to Fuentes and Akanyirige, the second and third youngest players in MLS. Fioranelli thinks the two teens are talented and said they’ve surprised with how well they’ve integrated during first-team training this preseason, but he acknowledged that their skill isn’t the only reason they were signed.

Their additions were part of a strategic push by San Jose to truly challenge their top academy players. They don’t want them dominating the youth ranks; they want their best prospects on the first-team, fighting with seasoned pros in training and occasionally getting run in USL and with San Jose’s U-18s.

“What purpose does it have if a 15-year-old is not challenged, that is gifted, that is already in the youth national team, that you know might find it easier to express himself in the 17s but might be able to benefit much more from the individual development within the first-team?” Fioranelli asked.

“What we’re trying to do is to work very selectively and individually on the most promising players. And by giving them the right type of environment and the right types of challenges, we strongly believe that they will be able to excel.”

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was around here I'd say the Quakes should get him into their academy, but

Luis Flores (Shattuck- Saint Mary's; Half Moon Bay, Calif.)

looks like he's at Shattuck St Mary's in Minnesota.
    http://ssmathletics.org/sports/soccer/boys_u17da/2017-18/roster

They're not MLS but they're a pretty famous school, and have their own USSF development academy. Only 9 of the 24 on this roster are non-MLS (including McKinze Gaines' younger brother), and two of those are at SSM.

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, looks like he is in a place that excels in both education and sports.

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes