San Jose Earthquakes Academy is on its way!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SCQuakes408, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised I have yet to see any talk about this anywhere (maybe its somewhere, but I havent looked). I wasnt able to find this online, but my dad told me about this when he got home yesterday and finally brought the paper to me today

AMEN!!!

2. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to finally see some progress in developing local talent.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to finally see some progress on this front. Also surprised no one had mentioned it before now considering how many people have been calling for this for quite some time. Bravo to the FO for making the Quakes academy a reality at last.

Now how bout that stadium ;)

4. SCQuakes408

SCQuakes408 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Santa Clara, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to mention it was from the Merc and it was one of those BS subheadings

5. Raven1015

Raven1015 New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Superb news! This seems like a proper academy in the making. I really hope the Quakes make the effort to reach out to low-income communities and youth who don't usually have the chance to be part of expensive club teams and academies. There is a lot of untapped talent out there in this country.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow!!

And it's Free?! It ought to be, but still WOW!!!

This is EXCELLENT news!

Go Quakes!! :D
    Train Like Pros!

- Mark

7. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news. If I have a kid, I would definitely put him through this.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope they can reach out and find the best players, regardless of there socioeconomic background.

9. Raven1015

Raven1015 New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No doubt. My point, however, is that kids who are already on high-profile academy/club teams will be the most likely to be noticed and the most likely to try out for a Quakes academy. Therefore, any good academy system worth its mustard will make the extra effort to reach those potential players who aren't plugged into the most obvious networks, often due to socioeconomic reasons.

10. BroncoQuake

BroncoQuake Member

Oct 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Additionally, Amway Global will provide two full scholarships for low income, Hispanic players to join the academy.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good.:cool:

12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    why not just low income kids? why Hispanic low income?

13. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    From the original post of this thread:

So when Doyle said that players selected for the Academy will participate free of charge, he was only referring to two low-income Hispanic players selected for scholarships by Amway Global? Everyone else has to pay?

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it could mean that Amway is picking up the tab for two of them and the team for the rest.

15. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Bravo. This really brightens my day, assuming that participation is free. I hope we start producing future stars in no time and expand the age groups to include some younger prospects as well.

16. SLO_Quakes

SLO_Quakes New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As athletics68 said, this program is free to everybody. Amway Global is providing a pair of scholarships as part of its outreach program while the Quakes will foot the bill on the rest of the team. The Earthquakes are picking up the entire tab and Amway is providing an additional two players opportunities to get on the field. Part of Amway's mission in Northern California is to invest in the Hispanic community and this is one way to achieve their goals.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As in it will now be for 38 players instead of 36?
    And is heading up this effort and finding the coaches and such. Is Doyle doing that or will it be a position someone gets appointed to so it gets full time attention.
    We want details! :D

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that's great, and the academy is most certainly good news. But why the Hispanic community as opposed to any other community...why not just open it up to all youth equally?

19. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He answered that. It's Amway's choice to sponsor what part of this Academy endeavor that want to. Since it's adding something and not taking anything away from anybody else, why would it matter?

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is open to everyone. But Amway is focusing their two spots on the Hispanic community in particular which I suppose is their choice. It's their money.

21. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking forward to the day when we'll actually need to have a subforum for the academy teams so we can follow their players and their games.

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    you mean like the Hispanic team vs Caucasian team, that sort of thing?

I think it's lame to single out any one particular ethnic or cultural group for this academy.

But because Amway is now running SJEQ operations, I guess we all just go along...:rolleyes:

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try reading the preceding posts before posting crap like this... :mad:

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I read all the posts...and sure, it's a great idea, but why start out saying we're going to target one group or another? That's all I'm saying. Bring in the most deserving, most promising kids...and leave it at that. There is no good reason for saying we're going to start with the Hispanic kids...no need to get so bent out of shape.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are. They're bringing in 36 of the most deserving kids. Amway separately is paying for 2 additional Hispanic kids. What's the problem? The Hispanic population, like it or not, has the largest group of disadvantaged kids in the south bay. Seems like a good fit to me.