San Francisco Deltas Superthread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by SoccerPrime, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again guys, COME OUT TO A GAME! Its a lot of fun even if its just 1500 of us)! Just let me know you are coming and I'll buy you a ticket.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Too many kids on Reddit. BigSoccer, especially the MLS boards, tends to be older. Plus, the format of Reddit sucks for ongoing, linear discussion. It's more for people with short attention spans. Like I said, kids.

Funny thing about the NASL subreddit is that it seems to have taken a huge hit this season. Seems to me it was much, much more active in the past. There just doesn't seem to be much interest there -- which maybe says something about that league these days. In any event, there's much more Deltas discussion here than there, even if it's not typically fan driven discussion. Skeptics like to talk too.

As for the lack of a forum, because you're the only Deltas fan here, and a forum has never been requested.

3. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno man, Deltas reddit are pretty stale as well...

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, don't support SF based teams. Besides, at this rate there won't be a Deltas next season, so no reason to become emotionally invested IMO.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's not clear that turnstile is the right number. Tickets sold is probably the best measure since you're looking for how much revenue is generated. Ideally (tickets sold)*(price of ticket) + (turnstile)*(concessions). Turnstile makes sense if concessions>tickets and a lot of people who buy tickets don't attend. I doubt the latter is true. The former might be, although that's not a great long-run indicator.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #956 Zoidberg, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    I tried looking at Reddit once......once.

Bunch of little kids. No wonder they were/are so adoring of a charlatan like JK.

Kids are the easiest to manipulate.

If traffic for NASL is indeed down it wouldn't be shocking. The fantasies spun about NASL, it's rise to power and it's eventually overtaking of MLS were beyond hilarious.....and the kind of thing kids would buy into....until the bitch called reality came a calling. Then let down....and on to the next thing.

7. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've been critical of the Deltas and their 'branding' in the past but they are the closest pro team to me and I enjoy visiting Golden Gate Park, if not Kezar itself, so I was gonna go to a game. but then I thought about it awhile, and the techie angle that the Deltas are pushing so hard really turned me off. these are the same techie-yuppie-bastards that have virtually ruined the BayArea in the last twenty years, and now they want to sell me virtual-reality soccer? I'm gonna stay home, sorry. I wish El Farolito had a pro team...

8. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...and "Delta Force" has got to be the worst name for a supporters group EVER.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Amen.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
  11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed.

12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Bay Area is an ecosystem. It cannot survive on un-washed hippies alone. :)

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but there was a time techie yuppies confined themselves to the South Bay and didn't price everyone else out of the region. It has become ridiculous in the BA of late.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And none of the washed up hippies that lived near me ventured south of the airport. Two Bay Area populations that never crossed paths.

athletics68 repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A free-functioning housing market would correct for the influx of newcomers drawn here by the vibrant economy. However, both San Francisco and the Bay Area generally have pursued for decades policies promoting artificial scarcity. Blaming the people who keep the local economy vibrant is simply scapegoating.

Balerion repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So will 1,500 SF Deltas drive 50 miles south to watch them play San Jose at Avaya Stadium next week? Just curious.....

17. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great...it's gonna be a tomb in there, isn't it?

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The Burlingame line.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Detroit, St. Louis, and other cities would love to have this horrible vibrant economy "problem".

bobby_guzman and don gagliardi repped this.
  20. sjsuvc2

sjsuvc2 Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Corvallis , Oregon
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the promo the deltas are pushing #101derby, to bad the quakes aren't hoping on board, would make a great rivalry for the both of them to capitalize on since there is that South Bay vs SF mentality for some stuff.

I've been a quakes fan my whole life but even I am a bit torn because I do want the quakes to win and move on, but I've never had the feeling like they actually care about the cup like other MLS teams do so it is a bit frustrating when they do lose after a game or two, But I also really want the deltas to win and keep going further into the cup to help build the brand and stability of another soccer team in the bay area.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that 101 goes nowhere near Kezar Stadium :confused:

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes' COO actually engaged in direct twitter banter with the Deltas, which strikes me as hopping on board. Also, the Quakes made the game part of the season ticket package (Bonus Game B) and advised their 13,000 season ticketholders that they've already prepaid for it, so that strikes me as pretty good promotion to a captive audience.

Meanwhile, I'm informed the Deltas have told the Quakes they are bringing down about 50 fans. (SF City does nearly as well traveling to Burlingame). Wouldn't it make sense for the Deltas to charter an entire CalTrain and invite the whole Deltas fan base to climb on board for free? (Sacramento Republic offered free transit for over 200 for its Open Cup match at Avaya).

And shouldn't it be the CalTrain derby, anyway? Naming it for a highway that doesn't reach either stadium seems not only inapt but politically-incorrect in a state that purports to be formulating its own environmental foreign policy.

bobby_guzman and SFCitizen repped this.
  23. SFCitizen

SFCitizen New Member

Arsenal
    France
    May 1, 2017
    It would, but do you really think they would get that many more fans going? Based on the (small) sample we have so far, I doubt they'll even get that many fans to Avaya as is.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't know, but seems to me that the way you build a passionate fan base is to get people to travel to support the team. Maybe put the fans on the same train with the players. Put some kegs aboard. Free for season ticketholders. Regular fare for others.

25. SFCitizen

SFCitizen New Member

Arsenal
    France
    May 1, 2017
    Agree completely. Which is why I'm totally unsurprised that they haven't done it. :)