San Diego USL (potential) expansion thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by msilverstein47, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Making MLS 2 teams join a D3 should all but guarantee USL D2 status next year. They may be competitive, but most of their fields are below attendance requirements and their attendances are abysmal

2. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    What's to stop the league from letting each MLS team choose for itself where their "2" team plays? I could see an MLS club like Orlando operating a team at every level, but a team like the Revs might opt for the minimal involvement required.

3. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    thumbleweeds... no news in a while, anyone hear rumors or do you simply expect no news until the end of the year at least when SD votes and MLS decides?

4. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest is that USL is no longer actively looking at San Diego, per Nipun Chopra. It also didn't show up in Steven Goff of the Washington Post's expansive list of markets USL is looking at, which included Baltimore, Fresno, Las Vegas, Birmingham and D.C. United II in Northern Virginia

Ben7 repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #505 athletics68, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Not surprised. With MLS moving in on Mission Valley (which the USL group we'd previously heard about was also apparently interested in) it makes sense the USL group would be squeezed out. And with NASL coming soon as well, this appears to be one instance where USL got beat to the punch by its rival league. Just hope NASL survives as USL with 8 teams poised to enter by 2019 on top of the 30 they have now certainly seems well placed for the future compared to the anemic NASL.

6. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel like it's going to come down to 2 cities: Baltimore and Chicago. Can NASL get Wilt's Chicago effort to completion? Will Kevin Plank actually start an NASL team in Baltimore, or is he the guy behind Baltimore USL?

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Baltimore going USL in 2018, it seems the opposite is going to be true over there. NASL was beat to the punch even if Plank is still interested.

8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I mostly agree, much like I think San Fran was the linch pen that really got the ball rolling with LA and SD, getting both of those could be the linch pen for cities like Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Buffalo. At that point the league would have a solid base in the Midwest/Northeast, Deep South, and the West Coast to leverage.

Although, I don't necessarily think losing both cities would be the death blow, I don't think the league would be able to survive any more blows (i.e. not finding an owner for Jacksonville).

9. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think landing Detroit City backed by a strong investor group is the coup NASL could really use. Gives Indy and the prospective Chicago bid a regional rival on top of being a prestigious club in and of itself.

catfish9 and The One X repped this.
  10. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    SF has not really been the resounding success they thought it would be. Average attendance around 3K is not going to cut it in that, or any D2 city for long. Adding a team in OC seems like folly as they are going to compete head to head with USL and peripherally with 2 MLS teams. Personally, I am hopefull that NASL can hold on, but November and December are still going to be interesting to see if any more teams fold (Jax) or jump ship. Four out of the eight teams in the league are averaging under 4K, that is not a great sign, even if NASL is adding a team here and there.That is, if they even keep D2 status after August.

11. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I don't think anyone is going to jump ship to USL unless the league folds or is demoted to D3 (which would probably result in it folding).

12. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I hope that you are right, but after the end of the year 2016 I would not make any bets. We know that basically all of the teams were talking to USL, but some had financial commitments to stay in NASL.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Sprinter FC wasn't really a thing, then?

Sporting Real repped this.
  14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I think that kept them from jumping ship last fall was no one wanted to be the team to make the first jump and incur the financial penalty for doing so. But fear of that fee is only going to hold the league together so long in the face of mounting losses.

Stephen York repped this.
  15. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Haha. No.

That was never legit.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch, the people who thought they were getting 200 shares are not going to like hearing that.

IMG_4150.PNG

17. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Luckily no one took that seriously. Unfortunately, far too many people gave that troll the time of day. Reflects poorly on San Diego imo.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 6 months later the situation has clearly changed. USL has already taken in one of the last NASL teams still standing. Fingers crossed that San Diego 1904 FC will be one of the other lucky ones to make the jump to the far more stable league.

19. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, given their proposed location and the low probability of San Diego MLS happening (especially in the 25/26 range) USL should be very open to 1904 ... provided a name change is coming over with them!

mike4066 repped this.
  20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The situation has changed dramatically since USL rejected the 1904 group (or vice versa... they were never really clear on who rejected who). But regardless you're right, 1904's Oceanside location, SoccerCity being on life support, and the demise of NASL should have both parties rethinking whatever it was that led to the Demba Ba group picking NASL in the first place.

21. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I won't call Soccer City "dead in the water". Latest word is the election vote will take place in June 2018 (during the primary election). Which gives it real chance at being either team 27 or 28. With this in mind I believe for them to be accepted by USL, they would have to be open to the idea of being an affiliate for San Diego MLS.

22. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if their permanent home is Oceanside ... that may be far enough away from MLS SD that it won't be the "same market" so to speak. Either way, very interesting.

mike4066 repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But keep in mind there’s no requirement that the closest USL team affiliate with the MLS team.

24. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    True. There is a lot of logic, but no requirement.

Realistically, as long as MLS waits until after SoccerCity is voted on, whether that is in June or November, to decide teams 27/28 then San Diego is absolutely in the mix. It seems to me like most people think SoccerCity is dead. For once, the slightly scummy politics of a professional sports league is going to benefit San Diego. The league will wait until SD has its vote.

25. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree. i hope there is NO affiliation! I'd rather see all of the MLS teams have their own USL team and not "just affiliate". And I think if they have a USL2 team it be a U23 team and if they want it to be more of a U21 team it would be in D3 ... and they could have one or the other ... but they should have it in their own market IMO ... and not a "neighbor" market that deserves it's own independent (and unaffiliated) team.