San Diego MLS Fans, Showing Support in the Interim

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by athletics68, Jan 31, 2017.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I was thinking. We know San Diego's MLS plans now. And the group has a lot of work in front of them in the next 5 months or so including gathering signatures, putting the initiative before the city council, no doubt defending it from a lawsuit or two, and of course lobbying for MLS approval (in competition for a spot with at least 11 other markets). And having gone through something similar in San Jose ten years ago, I'm sure we San Diego based soccer fans will be called on at all stages to be involved with the process. Be it gathering signatures ourselves, attending council meetings, rallying, etc...

And while those events are of course vital to our MLS hopes in San Diego, they're also not soccer itself. We've got some live soccer teams playing in SD right here, and right now. Granted they're sub D3 in USL PDL and NPSL, but they're here and they too need support. And for now they remain our only soccer teams (and if we're unlucky and the MLS team, either of the rumored NASL teams, or the rumored USL team come to fruition they'll remain our only teams).

So to my question, is there any consensus on who we hopeful MLS fans should follow? To show some soccer loving unity in our market using what we have right here, right now? I mean we're competing for spots 25 and 26 against soccer markets like Sacramento, Indy, Tampa, Raleigh... who all have a local D2 team to get behind to show some of the viability of their soccer market in a direct and tangible way (Sacramento's bid is being boosted IMO a lot by their strong support for the Republic specifically). We're not so lucky to have even D2 yet, but we do have the amateur/semi-pro teams. Specifically:

San Diego Zest FC of the USL PDL playing in their second season in Clairemont Mesa at Madision HS.

SoCal Surf (formerly North County Battalion) also of the USL PDL playing in their first season in PDL (second season overall after having moved from NPSL) in Carlsbad at Army and Navy Academy's Maffucci Field.

Albion SC Pros of the NPSL playing in their second season in Pacific Beach at Mission Bay HS.

Do one of them, if any, make sense to follow to folks here as a unified MLS desiring market? And I know the answer may change as the potential NASL and/or USL groups are announced as 2017 goes on (I think the USL unveil is in March). Albion Pros have been directly linked to one of the 2 rumored NASL bids and there have been circumstantial connections made between both SD Zest and SoCal Surf with the rumored USL bid. If one of those connections to USL or NASL become more solid, that 2017 sub-D3 team would definitely seem to warrant far closer fan attention. Particularity IMO any group tied to the future USL team given USL and MLS's links. What are people's thoughts?

2. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I've been wondering the same question since each of these teams launched last year. I'd love to get to the bottom of which (if any) of these teams are linked with any true level of professional soccer. I don't think any of the three have the capacity in and of themselves to "level up" to NASL/USL, but I believe that if one or more were to start to truly resonate with a large group of San Diegans, perhaps the FS Investors/NASL ownership group would see fit to affiliate in some way.

Surf and Albion are effectively extensions of two of San Diego's most prominent youth clubs. Both have a ton of teams currently, and have noteworthy alumni. I believe both have US Development Academy programs as well and seem to be trying to build from the ground up when it comes to developing players from youths to professionals.

Surf's distinction in the PDL makes me think they are more likely to find synergy at the USL level with an MLS team, assuming that is a possibility. Albion I believe have declared their intent for NASL.

Zest seems to be the odd team out. They started in PDL last year and finished second in their conference, making a playoff run before getting knocked out, but I really haven't seen them do much to attempt to cultivate a fan base, and I don't believe they have any connections to or aspirations for any sort of youth club.

If the idea is to generate some sort of centralized support for a single team, in an effort to roll that support into MLS fandom, I think Surf seems to be the best option for people to rally around.

It would be amazing if there was some way to support all the teams in town, but that might not be the most efficient way to accomplish something similar to what we've seen in Sacramento and Cinci etc.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 athletics68, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    I agree that it would make sense to focus on one of the teams, which is what spurred this thread. To get even a fraction of what you've seen in Sac, Cincy, Tampa, etc... we'd need to unify behind one of the teams.

Albion, while they're not in USL PDL (with USL's ties to MLS), they are the only one of the three currently directly linked to one of the 3 2018 D2 bids (NASL in this case), they've got the ties to their massive youth program, they're very proactive on getting themselves out there (if you visit their website for instance they've already got several preseason games scheduled even in Feb for their A side against other NPSL and USL PDL teams). And they're centrally located in San Diego not too far from downtown right off the 5 in Mission Bay which enhances their accessibility for fans from both north and south of downtown. Only downsides to me are of course not being tied to the MLS/USL family of teams and they have no mention of San Diego in their base marketing.

However the other teams are compelling as well. As you mention, the SoCal Surf are tied to the San Diego Surf youth program of their own that is also extensive. There have been suggestions they might have a connection of some kind to the USL bid (though nothing solid as yet). Their stadium is marginally nicer than the other two (true seating, etc...) since they play at a private academy and not a public high school. Plus their location physically is very nice being in Carlsbad Village a few dozen feet from bars, resturants and the Coaster/Surfliner station so they're even accessible via mass transit. And proximity to the village could help with establishing more of a "supporters culture" having places to gather before games, etc... They're also right off the 5. Downside for now, they're up in Carlsbad meaning they're a harder sell for south bay folks and also don't present themselves as representing "San Diego" but rather all of SoCal and never have having been "North County" before that. Of course that could play to their advantage should they be linked to the USL bid becasue being in North County would mean they could survive MLS coming to town and possibly even partner with an MLS side.

The Zest as you mention are kind of the odd duck. They've not tied themselves to any youth program so they've no ready flow of players into their team from their own academy. But unlike the other two they've got that connection internationally having partnered with a Japanese J2 team Avispa Fukuoka, having international tryouts in Japan, etc... Which to me has begged the question if they've got any other ties to Japan, including possibly Keisuke Honda who is tied directly to the USL bid. If they were tied to the USL bid that would make the imminently more compelling beyond already being in the USL family of teams. Like Albion they're also centrally located off the 805 in Clairemont making them easier to access for both north and south. The one intangible to me too is that they also are the only one of the three that present themselves as a San Diego team with their marketing (though the name Zest is admittedly pretty bad).

4. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    All good points.

To a certain extend, I think we can sit back and wait for some details to reveal themselves. Ideally we'll have an idea as to the MLS group's USL intentions before the NPSL/PDL seasons start and they make it easy for us to decide which team to focus our efforts behind.

I've heard a bit about a small popup stadium being built in Oceanside for either NASL/USL use. If there is any truth in that, I suspect that whichever team controls that venue controls DII in San Diego. There's no way something is built for the 2017 season though, so when it comes to deciding who to support in the immediate sense, I still don't think we are any closer than we were before I started typing this post...

5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter what I should do, I am behind Albion because of ties to family friends. Plus, they seem to do what they do well.

Full disclosure: I am kind of a branding nerd. I should have taken corporate art in college. That said, I don't like the Zest. Cringeworthy name, a crest that reads as "Zest San Diego FC" or "San Diego FC Zest". Plus, Albion is closer.

I'm not too concerned about the future. I am in the now, and for me, Albion seems to do it best, regardless of their future plans.

That said, I am eager to see how Surf does (Army Navy?). Inconvenient to me, but close by the Coaster, apparently. Might check them out.

athletics68 repped this.
  6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 athletics68, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Well you'd think the MLS team would have presented something vis-a-vis USL if they intended to go that route yesterday. But alas no such luck. Absent that we might get more clarity in March when the USL bid by Honda is supposed to be revealed (and it will be another chance to find out if the MLS group has any ties to any USL aspirations as well). If Honda's group is partnered with Surf or Zest that'll pretty much settle it for us as to which to support in 2017 between those two. If he's not partnered with either, well then 2017 becomes more of an open book.

Personally I find myself really torn should no ties to the USL bid form in the two PDL teams for 2017.

The Zest are the most centrally located and I really like that they call themselves San Diego Zest. Having San Diego in the name to me is very important as it defines the entire region we want to represent, not SoCal and not nothing. But absent knowing more about their international recruiting they seem to have the weakest system overall, and their Zest moniker is laughable.

Albion SC Pros are also central which I like and have a great youth program I've seen personally through my nephews. And I love that they're pro-active on having out of league pres and post season games given the limited league schedule NPSL and PDL play meaning they're on field more than the others two teams. But I hate the team name having no regional aspect. Albion SD Pros would have been so much better then the "San Diego" they have on the bottom of their crest but never use.

With SoCal Surf, being in NC and using such a cop out name (SoCal), especially after trading it in for the old Battalion name to partner with the Surf youth program, just rubs me the wrong way. That said, they're a good organization, have a beer named after them at Bay City Brewing and they have the best stadium and opportunity to develop lasting fan culture with their central Carlsbad location near bars, etc...

If I had to pick though I'd probably have to go with the team we know has already made a move to have a future at least in D2 with Albion SC Pros. They've got strong local ties, longevity outside of the PDL team, and should MLS never happen they'd be well positioned to be the next best thing (assuming NASL survives long term).

Sorry for the long posts, but I think I'm also trying to sell myself on the idea of following Albion. If they were in PDL looking to move to USL D2 and were Albion SD Pros they'd have my support in a heartbeat over the others. But I have a hard time dismissing the two teams that are in the PDL given we're hoping for MLS long term here, not settling for NASL. That said I think Albion are the best situated and most deserving of support given their long track record of both success at the youth level and in their first NPSL campaign.

7. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    No need to apologize for the long posts. They are thoughtful and articulate. If you start rambling I'm sure some mod will whip you.

I agree Albion's central-SD location is nice for central SD. Same goes for Surf being up north. North County may be more spread out, but there is still a significant population of soccer fans and neutrals who could support that team.

I'd be more inclined to take Zest seriously if anyone from an official source had been the source of their links with the Honda USL bid, and similarly, I'd be more inclined to take the Honda USL bid seriously if that had come from somewhere more reputable than a twitter rumormonger.

Garber dodged the USL question yesterday on the Midway, so no dice there just yet.

From what it sounds like, even though Albion have come out and said they want to push into NASL, they aren't actually part of the Da/Hazard/Wilt group so unless they find a way to strike a deal, I don't see that connection as credible.

Idk. Hard to say what happens next.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, Albion are the only source of their NASL bid news that we've seen. And presumably they'd lose out to Wilt if it came down to two NASL bids going head to head since Wilt is one of THE power brokers in NASL.

Looks like my question may not have a solid answer until March at the very least when we found out who if anyone the Honda USL bid is tied to (assuming that bid itself pans out and they keep the March announcement date that was rumored).

For now then it may be a wait and see proposition. But if USL and/or NASL don't end up providing direction we may have to decide which to support. Which could be tough since those in north county will probably favor the Surf. Those with ties to Albion's kids teams will favor that. And those that like bad logos and teams with mysterious Japanese connections will gravitate towards Zest.

Which unfortunately doesn't give us a unified front like markets with D2 teams.

Threeke repped this.
  9. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Looks like Albion's preseason starts this weekend: https://www.soccernation.com/albion-pros-kick-off-2017-season-in-style/

Would love to see them draw a larger crowd than last year.

athletics68 repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That place is around the corner from my house. Pretty good food if a little on the pricier side vs, a taco shop. Also usually have some Baja Craft beer on tap as well which is nice.

Actually went there after the US game.

athletics68 and Threeke repped this.
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in the interim, since the Surf haven't to my knowledge announced any kind of preseason slate, nor have the Zest, we all unify behind Albion in the interim just to show a united front. If March changes things and one of the other groups does end up being tied to a USL bid (or even tangentially the MLS bid) then we transfer our flag to them.

I know it goes against the idea of "team loyalty", but in this case I think it's about more than team loyalty, we're trying to organize "city loyalty" as well. The team is more a vessel to do so, and enjoy some soccer while we do so.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another practical reason to consider Albion SC Pros as the team to support while we wait, the simple fact is they play more games. Their season starts in mid-March and runs through early July this season in 2017. I believe their opening day game is against Oxnard on March 11 at Mission Bay HS, and their last home game is July 1.

http://albionscpros.com/tickets/

The USL PDL teams typically don't get going until early May (Zest's first game was May 7 last year), and their seasons end around the same time as NPSL in early July. So we'd get two additional months of soccer with Albion SC Pros over either SoCal Surf or SD Zest.

Threeke repped this.
  14. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    That is a good point I think. If, at any point, one of these lower league teams gets linked with MLS/NASL then we can always reconvene. But in the interim, I agree that we should do what we can to support all the teams. I'd love for them to play some sort of San Diego City Cup or something. Last year, some people were calling the matches between Albion and Battalion (now Surf) the Craft Beer Cup.

Kinda corny I think but imagine if Zest, Surf, Albion, and Chula Vista FC played a little round robin tourney or a two legged semi-final with Championship and 3rd place game? that would do wonders for San Diego soccer unity.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would definitely be a cool idea. I mean at least 3 of them have good organizations locally behind them. Could make for a fun local event.

In the meantime I'm thinking I'll head out and support Albion starting this weekend with their preseason game Saturday night. Between their preseason and earlier season they should carry us through any of the announced announcement timeframe for the USL bid. Hopefully the NASL bid is revealed soon too.

16. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Nice. I'll be at Albion this weekend as well.

I did some digging on the Albion NASL bid. It's not connected to the Peter Wilt group.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't think it was. They've been pretty up front about their bid being their own. They really should join forces with Wilt though given his broader connections and Albion's local ones.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we'll have more than the NPSL/PDL teams to show San Diego MLS support this year.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/sandiegoclasico/posts/1588605244499669

The San Diego Clasico group which brings club games to SD from time to time is working on an MLS/LigaMX friendly. And they seem to be implying it will be NYCFC vs ???. They've been soliciting for teams people would like to see for a few weeks. And then the post above this afternoon. And a few days ago they posted a photo of the Xolos. So it wouldn't be surprising to see this be an NYCFC v Xolos game. Question is, when?

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the PDL schedule just came out.

SoCal Surf's schedule can be found here

San Diego Zest's schedule can be found here

And of course Albion SC Pros previously announced NPSL schedule is here.

20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't work out the calendar mechanism too well for Albion. Is it just the first two that are preseason?

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they've gotten a couple of preseason games starting tomorrow.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Mission City FC leaked the San Diego Clasico game. Xolos v NYCFC March 25th at 8pm

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    What's Mission City FC

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fan group who've been pushing for MLS in SD for a long time. Who knows they may become THE fan group if this thing ever gets off the ground.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Threeke repped this.