Sampson Fired.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Both he and Wynalda have denied that.

Sachin

2. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's all true. Some of the games were televised for Copa America 1995. I remember that Norberto Longo and Andres Cantor when asked who impressed them most in the round of group play said los Estados Unidos.

I also think Steve is a very decent and nice person. He is very open and communicative with the press. He's a good coach and hopefully gets a shot elsewhere. Certainly, he good at announcing and has guest casted on Spanish soccer broadcasts.

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For us, Sampson was a critical transitional figure. Yeah, he pulled some real boners, but the team he bequeathed to Arena was a heck of a lot farther down the road than when Bora left, and I can't think of anyone who would have taken the job at the time who was likely to do better. Remember the names that were floating around before the "acting" was taken off his title? Neither do I, but I think it was mostly foreigners with some success far in the past.

I'm sure he'll do fine. In the coaching world, getting fired is just another step on the way to getting hired.

5. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlos Queiroz, Carlos Alberto Parriera, and Johan Cruyff were all names thrown around, but I believe the USSF thought they wouldn't have enough money to pay any of them (some may have even been under contract at the time as well). I think there was one other Dutch Ajax type coach whose name was getting some tossing around as well. Was Cruyff done at Barcelona by 1995?

6. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    We also need to give Sampson credit for being the right man for the job at the right time. We needed a sea change after the bunker-ball era, and also needed a guy who could give an American face and voice to the US coaching effort. Sampson opened the team up and helped us start to gain confidence that we could be a competitive country without putting 9 behind the ball. Sampson was far from perfect, but he played his role until Bruce came along. He's part of the evolution. I'm proud of him that he got the Ticos job, and he deserves to find his happiness and his niche in the coaching world.

7. dchang44

dchang44 Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland MLS

8. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike Bruce Arena that brought Mathis on for Korea, Wolff on for Mexico, etc.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very fuzzy on this, but rumor at the time was that Queiroz actually accepted the job at one point, agreeing to spend a year putting together that state of the soccer nation report before moving in take charge of the team? Did this happen or was I drinking too much then? Later, Queiroz backed out and the interim was removed from Sampson's name because his team had been getting results?
    In Sampson's defense, he got the team into a cup, an accomplishment that should not be taken for granted, and the copa America run was spectacular. they failed miserably in the WC, and he wasn't much of an MLS fan, but it's not like he destroyed the US program.

10. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right but we couldn't come to monetary terms with him so we were just treading water and then eventually gave the job to Steve when he seemed to be doing a good job.

11. rob88

rob88 Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Mexico city
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Competent prof

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this thread raised from the dead because it's close to Halloween?

majspike, striker, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.