Salt Lake City Travel Tips

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Thomas Flannigan, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I have not been here but my twin brother has. I pumped him for some travel tips. Salt Lake City has a beautiful setting. If you can take the train from Denver you will experience one of the top scenic train trips in the Western Hemisphere. The Temple complex is downtown and has some magnificent buildings.
    Salt Lake City has three youth hostels. http://www.hostelz.com/display.php/2925+International+UTE+Hostel

I checked the website of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and it appears there is no concert around the time of the game. Every Sunday morning the choir's religious service is broadcast live on a nationwide radio hookup. It is one of the greatest choirs in the world.

2. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Wait, dust off the books! It's been three years but we've found another one!

Who won the pool? I had August '06 and Reykjavik. Damn.

3. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Actually I have been to Reykjavik. I drank beer there. It tasted good! I have not been to Birmingham, Alabama either!

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    How are the strip clubs in Salt Lake City?

Are there lots of sexually frustrated women there too?

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    This is where I ate at every day when we were down there for the Olympics (we stayed on campus so it was an easy walk):
    http://www.thepie.com/enter.htm

When I was there for the women's match, I went up to Park City and went to the one resort that hosted bobsledding. During the summer, they let people go down the run in a bobsled equipped with wheels. I think it was pretty spendy though.

All I know is that when I'm there that weekend, I wanna get in some mountain biking!

6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to add...

As far as Temple Square and it's immediate surroundings are concerned, I believe the only building that is closed to the public is the Temple itself. There are a number of Visitor Centers and museums, the Tabernacle, and the new Conference Center (where there might be a performance or two sheduled during that weekend).

If you're into Family History/Geneology, of course, Salt Lake City is, if you'll pardon the expression, the Holy Grail, with the largest Family History library in the world.

7. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    If you like ethnic food, I highly recomend Baba Afgan on 4th and State. They have nice lunch buffet and the eggplant and pumpkin are to die for.

City Creek Canyon is a nice Bike/Hike trail thats easily accessible from downtown

If you like golf, I might try the University of Utah Course. It's not great, but it's cheep and has spectacular view of the city.

I'll try to post more, but I haven't lived there in 5 years so some of my suggestions may be out of date.

8. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Good stuff. In starting these threads I hope to flush out people who know more about it than I do so we can all learn.
    The Mormons maintain the best geneology library in the world, bar none. Open to the public.
    From what I understand, alcohol is not really a problem. A few Mormons drink and there are many non-Mormons in the city. So the demand is there and there are plenty of outlets. Many visitors are surprised at the number of sleazy strip-joint places.
    I think the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is better than any of the big European opera choruses. They are way better than the Vienna Staatsoper Choir, for example.

9. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I have already spoken with several venues, and I will
    announce my suggestions (cunning plan) for out-of-towners
    after having consulted with Blitzzfan (leader of the Loyalists)
    who I have yet to get in touch with.

My intention is to derive a $150-for-2-nights package deal
    at the best (coolest) hotel on the Trax route, but if you've
    already figured out which hotel this is, please don't spit it
    out for a few days. This same (very cool) hotel is also
    a block and a half from the only irish pub on the Trax route
    (again, please don't spill beans if you know) and hotel is
    amenable to hosting 300 sammers in a venue room if we
    can fill 50-75 rooms for 2 nights. Only thing then is getting
    the pub to doublestaff on saturday night, so they can operate
    the pulls at the Sammer event. Irish Pub has firecode
    occupancy of 150, and my prediction is we would annihilate
    that for a WCQ, and if no other backup (cunning) plan is
    in place, in downtown Salt Lake City... well, yes, there are
    many things to do, but it's not the Backbay, Soho, Midtown,
    the Loop, Rush Street, etc.etc.etc.

Will publish full suggestions (cunning plan) in coming days.

Please standby.

If all goes well, I will debut the 50-state in Deseret on 4 June,
    in celebration of the Lamanite Sesquicentennial.

-bs

10. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    Alcohol Guide:

1st, it is available and it is legal.

Just about all grocery stores and convenience stores will stock beer but only the 3.2 % variety

It you want hard liquor, wine, or stronger beer you must go to one the state liquor stores. They tend to close early but the downtown location should be open until 10:00. For beer fans be warned the good beer is expense and they don’t keep it refrigerated. They do have a pretty good selection. I recommend a Czech beer called Lev. It very good and reasonably priced (they don’t have it here in Texas unfortunately)

As far as going out. Most restaurants have a beer and wine list, but you may have to ask for it. Bars that serve hard alcohol are “private clubs” that require a “membership fee”, usually over $20. You can drink without a membership if you are “sponsored” by a member. There are two ways around paying the big fee: Some clubs just sit a member by the door and have them sponsor everyone who comes in. Otherwise you just have one person buy a temporary membership usually about $5.

11. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you like brew pubs, go to Squatters - good brew & good pub grub.

If you have a day to kill, go to Park City and check out the Olympic site that is now a ski training facility. You can even do a day of ski jump training that ends with skiing off a small jump into a pool. My brother-in-law and kids did it and said it was lotsa fun.

I enjoy visiting SLC, mostly because it's always a family get-together when we're there. No interest in living there, though.

If you're not Mormon and not interested in being contacted, don't put your name, address, or phone # on anything in Temple Square.

12. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I consider myself flushed. I'm from south of SLC, but I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

If you are interested in geneology, SLC is the right place. I am not into it, but I know lots of people are.

DMunited got the alcohol question covered. Lots of "mormons" drink (usually the non-practicing ones, etc.) and there are more than "many" non-mormons in the city. Salt Lake City is I think about 40% mormon, and you can count on about half of them not being practicing members. You have to realize that mormons are just like any other religion. There are the die-hards, the average believers, the non-practicing members, and for some reason mormons tend to attract haters as well.

The Tabernacle Choir is very good, if that's your thing.

Again, I'll answer any more questions to the best of my ability, but since I'm from south of SLC I don't know if I can answer all of them.

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    One night we were eating at a downtown establishment during the Olys, and I had nearly finished my glass of beer (there was only a smidge left at the bottom and I had let it sit for a while) and then I ordered another one, but the waitress said that I had to completely finish the glass before she could bring out another one. So I slammed down the rest (BLECH!!!).

Is this an actual law?

14. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Maybe it was my mom :rolleyes:

If it was crowded, maybe they were short on glasses.

15. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Highly recommended if a pizza fan. We had like 5/6 people eating off our pizza and couldn't finish it. Great amount of food for the buck.

16. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Some very good posts here. I have learned a lot!

17. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    Yes that is an actual law. The law says that you are not allowed to have more that one drink in front of you at any time (those places are not allowed to serve pitchers either). I think that only applies to places that serve beer but don't have a full liquor license.

It may be the level of liquour license the place has. I don't think it applies to private clubs, or restaurants that can serve hard alchol, wine in addition to beer. But I'm not sure on this one. I know that even in private clubs when you order a "double" you have to get the extra shot in a seperate glass, called a sidecar. Can anyone else help on the details on this one?

18. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know how much match tickets will be, I'll have to use B'ham as a guess until then?

Also, how much is a cab from the airport to U of Utah?

Cheers.

19. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who LOVE their "hard liquor," like me, here's a link where you can print out a FREE three week temporary membership to some SLC "private clubs/bars" in SLC.

http://www.saltlakecityutah.org/nightlife.htm

I've already printed out about 100 copies & will be happy to bring as many with me to SLC as I can. They don't include EVERY "private club/bar" but there are some good choices, mostly in the downtown area that sound pretty cool.

20. TerryDCU

TerryDCU New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Only have time for 1:

- Arches
    - Zion
    - Bryce Canyon​

Recommendations? Reason...

I'd prefer to minimize the hiking, but my wife would be thrilled to drag my sorry arse up and down a mountain then push me off a cliff.

Plan - Early Sunday afternoon, drive to hotel close to one of the attractions.
    Monday explore
    Monday mid-afternoon/late afternoon drive back to SLC
    Tuesday morning fly out early in am.

21. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd recommend Bryce...

Probably the easiest to get to time/distance wise...

IMO, the most unique scenery of the three...

You don't have to do a lot of hiking if you don't want to, but there are some decent trails that get you down into the canyon and back out again in a couple of hours (I'll post some pictures later if I can figure it out)...

The rim at Bryce sits at about 8000 feet...Moab is at 4000, St.George/Zion around 2800. My guess is that Byrce will be quite a bit cooler than the other two...how important you think that might be in early June is up to you :)

22. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Very roughly $20, not including tip. That's a guess based on when I used to take cabs to the airport.

But Rice Eccles Stadium is on a light rail line.

The same line goes back to downtown. Several of the downtown hotels have free shuttles to the airport.

Also, some hotels further away from downtown also are close to the light rail line.

Or, you could stay in one of the "International Center" hotels. The International Center hotels are in a big industrial park; so there is no nightlife. But they will be cheap on weekends, they should have free shuttles to the airport, and you can take the bus to the light rail station; then light rail to the stadium for $3.50 round trip (but supposedly, a fare increase is in the works.)

23. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Yeah, Utah is the place if you swing the Idiot Sticks.

Old Mill also has good views.

Mountain Dell is a bit of a drive, but you might have deer & moose in your gallery.

Wingpointe is a Links style course, if you hate hitting into trees. And you can walk to the airport terminal from the clubhouse if you have to catch a flight back.

24. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, Just saw that the Marriott within walking distance of the stadium and the light rail line has a 69 dollar a night deal if you pre-pay. www.marriott.com to book.

25. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    there are several in slc. which one is the right one?