Salaries for Central American clubs

Discussion in 'Central America' started by Celtigo, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of curiousity what Central American leagues are fully professional? I assume Guatemala, Costa Rica, Honduras, and maybe El Salvador?

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Re: Rank the top 10 club teams in Concacaf (2009 edition)

Jared I´ll get to you later. Guatemala´s is the highest paying, and Costa Rica´s is also fully professional (as are a few 2nd division teams,) I don´t know enough about the Honduran league (though Olimpia is one of the highest paying clubs in Central America,) many Salvadorean players have to work second jobs. The Nicaraguan league has 3 fully professional teams (Real Esteli, Diriangen, and Walter Ferretti.)

3. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

For info on the Salvadoran league click here.

4. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

Also should note that on average most players are getting less this season (and over the past year) than they have been in the past. This is due to the GFC; but that said, players still make good money; well enough so that they don't need to work side jobs (first division players that is). It's obviously had a stronger affect on the second and third divisions though.

5. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense

What´s the average salary for a first division player?

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

Well obviously it all depends on the club and the player in question. I mean a big name players a couple of years ago were getting salaries in the 6-8k per month range (few exceptions were getting more). Now a days like i said though due to the GFC pretty much all clubs have had to cut down on player salaries, and as a result these same players are now getting a monthly salary of around 4 to 6 thousand. Of course that's the base rate and doesn't include bonuses for goals scored/games played etc.

Now on the other side of the coin bench/fringe players are still getting much the same payment as they were before, that being anywhere between US$1,000 to US$2,000 per month, although on average like for the big names it is lower than before.

An example of how much things have changed in the past year is the fact that Aguila (one of the bigger clubs in the country) only midyear decided to lower it's player finances from US$80,000 per month to US$50,000 per month (a drop of almost 40%). The same thing has happened with the other larger clubs like Firpo and FAS. And smaller clubs who obviously always have less to work with now only have a budget of around US$30,000 per month. That's for a player list that includes 24 players (obviously all with different value). So comparing what "on average" a player made at Aguila last year which was more or less US$3,300 (80k/24) to what they make now US$2,100 (50k/24) their is a big difference; and there is obviously a bigger difference when compared to smaller clubs who on average pay around US$1,250 (30k/24). That said it's still more than enough to get by in a country where most live on under US$200 per month.

How much do players make in Costa Rica?

And for anyone else who knows Guatemala, Honduras and Panama? Or even Nicaragua and Belize?

7. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense

Thanks, must spread rep...blah blah. Saprissa´s top players make up to 250k a year. Herediano´s and Alajuelense´s top players (and coaches) make up to 15k a month. Grecia, one of the top teams in the second division, pay their best players up to $1,500.

In Nicaragua, Real Esteli´s top players make around $3,000 a month (a fortune in that country) though the rest make around $800 or $900. The top players at Walter Ferretti and Diriangen make between $1,500 and $2,000. The rest of the first division´s top players are paid enough to live, while the rest work second jobs. The Belizean league is amateur.

8. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

How sure are you one these numbers?

The reason i ask is cause i was reading an article from only a few month ago with Jorge Hidalgo in where he said the following.....

So what i understand by that is that back in the early part of this decade Alajuelense players could have been receiving as much as US$7,500 per month due to being champions and the committee looking to invert heavily to continue that success, but with time they saw that is was not worth it and now salaries have dropped.

I also found another article with Alonso Solís in which it was stated that at the beginning of in the year when Liberia was after him it was rumored that they offered him a salary of US$20,000 per month. Which by the sounds of it would have easily have made him the leagues highest player. Now at the time he was regarded as possibly the best #10 in the league, so i'd assume he'd be one of the higher paid players at Saprissa but by the sounds of it, he wasn't making anywhere near the 20k that he was offered. Now possibly i have read to much into this but by the sounds of the interview that is what it looks like.

For that link click here.

9. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

Due to inflation as well as the strength of the Costa Rican Colon and the state of the US dollar a more realistic amount could be around the 10k per month mark.

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense

The article doesn´t elaborate on the financial crisis Alajuelense went through a few years ago, when when their budget was cut (it had more to do with this than just deciding not to pay the players) and they were forced to sell a number of their top players (also driving down their level of play.)

I don´t know enough about Liberia, though Diario Extra and La Nación run interesting gossip stories about the players´ personal lives and salaries, but on average Saprissa has been paying the highest salaries since Vergara took over a few years ago, followed by Herediano. Cristian Bolaños (reportedly) received upwards of $200k a year before leaving for Europe. Herdiano´s current coach was given around $20,000 up front, and paid $14,000 a month. When I get back to Miami I´ll try and dig up the articles.

11. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

Fair enough but i guess what i was looking at was moreso the fact that before the crisis they were only being paid US$7,500 to US$10,000 (their biggest names that is) and now the payments aren't that high. So in saying that, unless Hidalgo was lying or misquoted then his players have never been paid as much as 15k a month (at least not recently that is).

12. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

Not sure how truthful this article is but here are a Panamanian report on the difference between player payments in Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico.....

13. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia

As this whole discussion is off-topic maybe a mod could move these post from here and put them into a new thread. Preferably one in the Central America forum.

14. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
  15. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here are some numbers on the Honduran league.....

So according to this Hispano (mid/lower table team) is currently working with $37,000 per month for player payments.

Here's another quote listing payment of a foreigner at Montagua.....

And one more showing amount owed to a local player (US$2,000).....

Any Honduras able to list the best foreigner/s in the local league? And also who they think are the highest paid locals?

16. xbryanv320

xbryanv320 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    Gabon
    well a couple of seasons ago jocimar and guevara were the highest payed players in the league making around 20 k per month.

but right now its probably bruschi,jocimar,diduch,and maybe caetano(sucks) are the highest payed foreigners .
    highest payed locals are dani turcios ,pavon,and wilmer?/emil?

Hispano are a team that are in serious financial problems ..last season they were almost taken out of the first division because they owed players money.

17. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    More on Honduras.....

So from that i guess it means he was earning less (or the same) than that at Real España and asked for that amount knowing it was a reasonable amount. Was he in high demand before his move abroad? Or a key player at RE?

18. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    his somewhat "key" to RE team nothing special his 29 and finally playing in europe to somewhat better country then Honduras.....

29 is pretty late in a footballers career to move to europe but no doubt its great for him.....

19. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nicaragua.......

So that's US$4,000 a month for VCP-Chinandega (a small club who's spent much of the past decade outside of the top flight) and around US$6,000 for Diriangén (arguably the largest club in the country).

As expected, that's a huge difference when you compare it to fully professional leagues within the region.

20. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    The most expensive single transfer in Central American club history??? Comunicaciones paid US$ 500,000 for Rolando Fonseca back in 1998. Can anything else beat this??

21. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Source?

22. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    I dont have an online source... just people who told me (from the press).

23. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Quite a bit considering his age.

24. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah i doubt that was the amount paid. Now if there was a valid source then that's another story. :rolleyes:

25. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    He was 23 in 98'. The first time he came to Guatemala.