Saint Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by theworm2345, Mar 16, 2006.

1. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It is now officially St. Patrick's Day in Ireland. Here in America (in a few hours) everyone will become "Irish for a day" (which I personally think is bull$hit, as most people probably cant name one city in Ireland besides Dublin). It is basically an excuse to get wasted. They will die the beer (And the Chicago River) green, and will have a parade. I like the holiday. How is it tradionally celebrated in Ireland? And how will you be celebrating?

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do they actually die the Chicago river?

St. Patrick's day is a big deal here because of the historical links between Ireland and Newfoundland. In fact, I think it's the only place outside of Ireland where St. Patrick's day is a holiday...

The Irish-Newfoundland population is by and large closer to Ireland than the Irish American population (by my reckoning, anyway), but St. Patrick's day is still considered, above all else, an excuse to get drunk. Being the resident Irishman amongst my peers, I'm being forced to hit the town tomorrow night - even though I have far too much work to do.

3. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Work, on a Friday night :confused:

:D
    [​IMG]

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Welcome to the final months of an honours university degree

5. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Oh dear lord!

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    You need an excuse?

;)

Almost every town will have a parade of some sort - a few floats, marching bands, local (youth) sports clubs, street performers, people throwing sweets....fire engines, tractors, anything going really. It's a good day out for the family.

I'll head into town (Belfast) tomorrow at some stage to see how things are going - I know something's been planned but I don't know too many of the details. Last year I ended up at a free bar in the private secret corridors of City Hall after a gig beforehand which kept me nicely whiskey-ed up for the day, so I'm hoping for more of the same tomorrow. QFT (Queen's Film Theatre) are showing some Irish films for £1 all day as well, so I might pop in to see The Commitments - which strangely enough I've never seen, though I've read the book, am a Frames fan (a young Glen Hansard's in it), and everyone else in the country seems to have done.

It's the classic take-it-as-it-comes day. And the sun always shines.

7. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    :confused:

In my experience the weather's always cold, wet and miserable!

8. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    yeah it's party time today,and i bet im not the only paddy to wake up drunk this morning,*hic*

saying that today im meeting my buddys at 4:30 after the parade and kiddies leave the city center,few pints,the lads normally throw a few quid on the big race today and after were all going to see some guy play the guitar in a pub until closeing time.

so should be good craic...

happy paddys day everyone....

9. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    I am as hungover as hell, and will quite happily be the only Irish person to NOT drink today!:D

10. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Snowing all day here

11. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    It's brightened up here in London. As have I.

I may be able to have a tipple after all.

12. TheOrator

TheOrator New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Virginia
  13. Eric Berg

Eric Berg New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland, Oregon
    These photos were taken in and outside of St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland in 2004. The scarf is Timbers Army, the independent supporters group of the Portland [Oregon, USA] Timbers in the United Soccer League's First Division. I think it was Ash Wednesday that day. Needless to say, I did not give up Guinness for Lent that year.

Slainte.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, its over, Im sure you will all be hungover when we next speak ;)

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    UUUGGGGHHH! What the hell happened!? I'm going to get some more minced beef sandwiches and am off to sleep. Grrrrrreasy!

16. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yack! I feel ready to go green at the sight of that!

17. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bonne fête to our Celtic cousins ! ;)

18. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    There's also Montserrat (I believe).

Not entirely sure it's because of SPD though.

19. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    i could be wrong but i read it somewhere that St paddie is also the patron saint of Nigeria

20. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To my surprise, thats true

From Wikipedia
    Saint Patrick (386–March 17, 493 C.E., see below) was a missionary and is regarded as the patron saint of Ireland (along with Saint Brigid and Saint Columba*). He is also the patron saint of excluded people, engineers, and Nigeria, which was evangelized primarily by Irish missionaries, especially priests from Saint Patrick's Missionary Society (also known as the Kiltegan Missionaries).

*my edit, that is St. Collum Cille, I believe

21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Funny...

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No it's not. (And it's St. Colmcille.)

23. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wiki:
    Saint Columba or Saint Colm Cille sometimes known as St. Columba of Iona (7 December 521 - 9 June 597), (Old Irish Columb Cille, meaning "Dove of the church"), was the outstanding figure among the Gaelic missionary monks who reintroduced Christianity to northern Britain during the Dark Ages.

Columb Cille as well (in Old Irish, its ont Collum, but its close)

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Perhaps so in Wiki, but the two are different people. Columba was involved in what in modern day Switzerland at the same time as Colmcille was elsewhere - can't remember now.

25. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Are you sure? I've heard the names interchanged an awful lot. Colmcille did set up a monastery in Iona.

My primary school was called Scoil Choilmcille - he came from Gartan, a village about twenty minutes outside Letterkenny. Gartan clay is reputed to have healing properties - regarded in the same light as holy water.