SAFF Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Jul 10, 2009.

1. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    predictions for Pakistan vs Afghanistan ?

Pakistan will come with a full strength squad with a number of abroad players, while Afghanistan will go with a totally new domestic squad..

2. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    a draw.

sshah repped this.
  3. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Last time we played Pakistan couldn't string more than 2 passes in a row. I think there is a real chance for a win but the Afghan players have to control their danger man Kaleem Ullah first.

4. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    but remember we were at home and pak had a domestic squad. Your right we have to control kaleem ullah hes really is an amazing player. I really hope that Sakhizada and Hadid are selected for the squad as well because Amiri and Sakhizada together is 10x better than Amiri and Attaie. Also Hadid is a very solid right back and adds an offensive threat.

sshah repped this.
  5. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Im gonna go for 2-1 win for AFG
    Amiri and Zaidullah Yarr for us
    Kaleemullah for pak

6. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Given that Afghanistan are pretty much with a new squad, with only a few familiar players, Its hard to predict. Most of the players are new to the national setup, so time is required. Even with the Abroad players, they need time to adjust with the new players..

The Pakistan team have been playing regularly (u23 side has been the core players of the National team) + abroad players, will make Pakistan quite a strong squad..

With all this, I think it will come down to a single goal... 1-0 (either to Afghanistan or Pakistan)

7. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Most probably, Sharityar, Faisal Sakhizada and Amiri would be in the defense line. Hadid is not invited.

8. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Sakhizada plays regular football in Australia, but sharityar is not with a club for 7 months now? So I Am not sure if he will be match fit..

Do you have the abroad players invited?

9. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Man although Sharityar is a legend of the national team however a 31 year old without a club should not be playing on the national team. However i'm really happy Sakhizada is playing imo he is our most underrated player and it will be interesting to see who plays as right back considering amiri, sakhizada, sharityar will be playing and hadid has not been invited.

10. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Yes I agree, Sharityar has been the best defender Afghanistan has produced, however, at 31, not playing competitive football will make a difference.. Having said that, picking any player without club football is a risk, we saw that with Mashriqi..

11. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    None of the South Asian teams will make it to Asia Cup 2019 trust me. ;)

12. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Afghanistan is no longer in SAFF :sneaky:

so only Maldives may have a chance

sshah repped this.
  13. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Who would be in your top 24 teams?

14. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    I think it is not fair to say none of the SAFF nations have a chance. With 24 teams able to qualify, I think there is a decent chance for SAFF members.

15. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    It's all about application and consistency. If SAFF nations take the qualifiers seriously, they can pick up points at home and maybe a couple of smash-and-grabs away and they'll be right up there in the mix. I can already see that SAFF nations have really taken note of the upcoming matches and I fully expect everyone except Bhutan (can they even host internationals at home??) and Sri Lanka to surprise a few people.

In any case, none of the supporters of the more established footballing nations on these forums are expecting the lesser nations to do anything of note. I feel like we should all do our best to leave egg on their faces instead of resigning to the defeatist mentality that is endemic in South Asia.

edrees repped this.
  16. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Agree!

Biggest advantage SAFF nations have is at home. Rarely nations outside of SAFF have played in SAFF nations...

And with a bit of focus and prep as fureeku said, they can surprise and get some good results.

17. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    So what happens in a scenario where Afghanistan retains the title? Would SAFF have to rebrand themselves and start a debut a new title?

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    No. Why would anything have to happen? Just continue playing as normal.

19. Fureeku

Fureeku Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Maldives
    If Mexico wins the Copa America, it would still count as winning the Copa America, even though they are in CONCACAF.

20. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
  21. Danishjo.faisal

Danishjo.faisal New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    INDIA
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    it's good that Afghanistan shifted to CAFF , because the are in higher level then the other SAFF Members , and geographically the same weather and are close and neighbor with CAFF members. so yes as a Guest it would be very good to participate in SAFF.

22. IndianFanSince1947

IndianFanSince1947 New Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Jalandhar
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I hope Afghanistan in CAFF doesn't flop. Too many bad results and they will fall to SAFF level.

23. Footballnameh

Footballnameh Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Due to intensity of matches, it is highly possible Afghanistan does not participate in SAFF Championship this year.

24. sshah

sshah Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    There are no matches after June 15th. I hope they send a mostly domestic side.

Anyway it would be terrible if we don't participate.

25. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    There are a number of games but it shouldn't deter Afghanistan to send a domestic team made up of mostly u23 players.

However, the AFF need to be mindful who they play against as they don't want their FIFA ranking to be affected. Sending a domestic team to the SAFF cup will be optimistic to win a game.