SAFE SPACE: For those who want to express Enjoyment about the 2015 Season AND the Cup Run.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Belgrano, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a positive note, MLS assistant referees are often able to determine whether a ball went out of bounds or not.

ZipSix repped this.
  2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Too soon.

ZipSix repped this.
  3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 KCbus, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    For me, the biggest takeaway from this season has to be what a beast Kei Kamara turned into. We all knew he had skill, but I don't think anybody expected that he was going to score 22 regular-season goals and four more in the playoffs.

And as much as we got our hearts ripped out on the final day, I think anyone who was at the two previous playoff matches would have to admit that those were two of the most exciting home games in club history.

stanger, Robbo Crewfan and Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest takeaway from this season will be the overall direction of the team. There's so much that could go wrong with a new owner. You assume there will be changes and those changes come. But what is rare, is for so many of those changes to be good, positive ones.

I am proud of the team this year. They played great soccer that was at times absolutely beautiful and the way it should be played. But I am also proud of all the positive things that have happened off the field as well.

The only thing I ask of a player on the field, is to care as much about the team and result as I do. When I don't see that passion, it hurts. This year, I saw that passion both on and off the field. We are in good hands, and I am very excited about the future of this club because of that. It's not a business or a hobby for everyone involved in the front office, it's more important than that.

ZipSix, Robbo Crewfan and Draghignazzo repped this.
  5. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm happy we lost. Kamara said he would have retired if we won, so I'm cool with having a beast striker again next year (and awesome corner defender). He might have been joking, but I'm happy we didn't have to find out.

I also liked that Cedrick replaced Meran a few times. I hope that becomes permanent for the starting lineup next year

And last, but certainly not least, I'm thrilled that Parkhurst started playing worth a damn in the playoffs. Hopefully he'll keep it up now that he has a dependable partner in the middle.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara said on Extra Time radio a month ago he wants to play into late 30's, so yeah its bullshit.

7. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    glad to hear it. I figured it probably was but I was too lazy to do anything more than read the article where I read it, including reading said article again to see if it was a joke or not.

8. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused, are you a Crew fan? I would trade Kamara's retirement for an MLS Cup. Why would you be sad he's retired? Because it decreases our chance of winning a title (don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy and I love having him on the team...)?

ZipSix and Hamburgler03 repped this.
  9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you daft? The whole point is to win championships.

Robbiegoal and Placid Casual repped this.
  10. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say as an Ohio sports fan my expectations are normally lower than most IMO. All I want every year is for this team to be in the playoff hunt throughout the regular season. However with six teams now getting in, i am pretty much at playoffs or bust. Having said that, it is very very hard to win a title as only one team can. Once we got to the playoffs i just wanted to get out of the first round and we did so the rest felt like a bonus to me. Once we got to the final at home I wanted it more than i could have imagined and to lose was just gut wrenching. After all is said and done this was one of the most fun seasons i had in the stadium and i cant wait for the 2016 season.

11. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'd rather have a competitive team multiple years than a championship. Sue me. I have complete faith he'll help us win a title in the next 2 years anyways. I don't want to be one and done and go back to the days of rarely scoring. F*** that noise.

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Addendum:
    Ran into Andy Loughnane (and his wife who is really great too) and I have to say he is great. He struck the perfect tone of friendliness and professionalism, frustration and hope. I really loved talking to him. I tried not to be an annoying fan but he recognized my wife and I.
    He is a credit to the organization and I am happy to have him.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can't decide between that Pipa chip v. Toronto, that was filthy; or Kamara v. Montreal, that was gorgeous.

Belgrano repped this.
  15. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    had to go with Kamara vs. Montreal, just based on the height of his jump.

Belgrano repped this.
  16. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The overtime match with Montreal....I was a freakin Train Wreck...nerves and would have paced if I could have. Plus no beer. Really Really glad I went to NY jersey to see the match and 9/11 memorial. What a great year along with smart additions that helped us with the playoff run.

Belgrano and 110toyourleft repped this.
  17. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So the sickness which enveloped me has finally eased enough to the point where I have the strength to post in this thread. And upon reflection, I am lifted when I consider:

- Since 1996, I have never been this depressed over a result. On the surface, while that sounds negative, it is actually an incredible commentary on the intensity of my passion. I find myself being pleasantly (ironically) surprised that I actually care THIS much about this team. My passion for this club has never been this high. A real testament to the significant progress in the quality of this club and the MLS as a whole. Although it is a shame that the final game, a very poor representation of what our league has become in terms of quality of play and officiating, is what 170 country's saw.

- We were treated with some wonderful soccer this past year and were certainly in position to take it all. Hosting the MLS cup is indeed a great accomplishment! And the system has proven to be as fun for spectators as it is effective.

- The stadium atmosphere at the end of the season and during the playoffs speaks to the fact that I am not alone in my enthusiasm. I was not sure I would ever see that kind of an atmosphere in Columbus at an MLS game. So fun to be a part of that!

- Despite the disparity that exists between big market and small market team in all sports, and despite our legitimate beefs with the MLS, this year proved once again that a small market team in the MLS has a legitiamate chance to be successful, more so than perhaps any other professional sport.

- Even with the very sad ending, I had an absolute ball this year. I can't wait for next year to begin! I will have regained my sea legs and my passion will be even stronger. Meaningful history, even the moments that hurt, ultimately raise the stakes, build upon the tradition and lore and will sweeten our success when it no doubt returns.

18. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Being a Crew fan hurts so good.

the_rickler and Jaybir repped this.
  19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My husband and I woke up to our 2-year-old son chanting the "We love ya, we love, we love ya" chant in his bed. Still hardcore in this offseason.

Robbo Crewfan, CrewV Man, ZipSix and 7 others repped this.
  20. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Google Now is predicting traffic/travel time for me on my phone to Maphre. Sunday playoff game recursion. That's cool.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  21. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excluding season ticket renewals or possible increase in sponsorship how much did host the MLS Cup make for the Crew? I was curious to hear/see any type of financial impact hosting the Cup might have had.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering it was a league event...

23. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope the goddamned host team makes some of that. ******** the league if they take it all, goddamned monkey ears.

24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm sure we got to keep a part of concessions at least.
    [​IMG]

Jaybir and eboe repped this.
  25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably some of the parking, too.