Sacramento Republic FC: former partners, future rivals

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't care who they belong to ... F**K ALL TERRITORIAL RIGHTS!!! :mad:

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that now. But you also aren’t the one who paid for said rights ;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sacramento gets a team, they better not black out Quakes games, since I live closer to Sac. I will be very angry.

sacrxy repped this.
  4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure they will. That’s what RSNs do. It’s why I can never watch King’s games when I’m in the Bay Area.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you order the NBA League Pass with your TV provider (though the nationally-televised games can be watched even without the Pass).

It'll indeed be that way as well if Sacramento enters MLS, albeit substituting NBA League Pass with MLS Direct Kick . :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is some unmitigated bullshit. If the channel comes in you should get all of its programming. Not some alternate crap.

markmcf8 and Beckham7 repped this.
  7. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely! I am very unhappy with ESPN+ In that so many games are not available, and also there is no archive. The old MLS Live spoiled me.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  8. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Isn't direct kick just out-of-market games - so it would be the same as espn+ in terms of blackouts?

I don't think blackouts are going away but what makes it worse is that we need access to no less than three (maybe more) different channels to watch all the Quakes games. Univision/twitter, telemundo, and nbc sn. Possibly even ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports, and FS1 (if any of our games were nationally covered). YouTube TV covers most of the bases except it doesn't get univision which means you have to watch with an antenna or twitter (it's embarrassing that a bay area company has such horrible streaming tech - it's really the worst I can remember using in recent times).

Even if you get all of those channels you may not have access to an english audio (on YouTube TV it was impossible to get english on the telemundo games).

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Aren't 100% of Quakes games unavailable on espn+? It's for out-of-market only games. It should give you every game that's not the Quakes though.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #560 Goodsport, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    MLS Direct Kick is only out-of-market RSN's (our RSN's are NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports California). It has never carried the nationally-televised games (ESPN / ESPN2, FOX / FOX Sports 1 / FOX Sports 2, Univision / UniMás / TUDN) even as far back as when it was called MLS Shootout, though it does carry the TSN games (which I'm assuming is nationally-televised in Canada) for the three Canadian-based MLS teams.

MLS's relationship with ESPN+ is newer but it's likely the same way.

Since most non-nationally televised San Jose Earthquakes games are on either of our two RSN's and their respective streaming apps, then of course they're blacked out on both MLS Direct Kick and ESPN+. After all, NBC Sports Bay Area / NBC Sports California paid for the in-market television and streaming rights to Earthquakes games and no doubt want all the in-market eyeballs on its channels and app rather than anyone else's for both ratings and promotional purposes.

This season's three Telemundo broadcasts were a weird case as unlike with the Univision/UniMás/TUDN games, they were not nationally televised but were instead locally televised only on the Bay Area's Telemundo station KSTS channel 48, the team's first truly locally televised games since the team's very early years with KICU channel 36. Fortunately for those out-of-market, though, the NBC Sports Bay Area app also carried those games with English-language commentary by our regular TV announcing team.

However, in an ironic twist, if Sacramento Republic FC ends up joining the league, then the non-nationally televised San Jose Earthquakes games likely will start being carried on both MLS Direct Kick and ESPN+ in the Sacramento area but would unfortunately be blacked out on the RSN's there without them, much like how the Golden State Warriors games on NBC Sports Bay Area are blacked out in the Sacramento area unless you have NBA League Pass. :(

-G

mjlee22, DotMPP and Scott Rohde repped this.
  11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you make a flow chart of this?

[​IMG]

Beckham7 and Goodsport repped this.
  12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is baseball not done they same way? I can watch both A's and Giants games, but warriors games are blacked out in favor of the Sacramento Kings, unless it has changed recently.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The A's and Giants share the same market (i.e. the Bay Area) and there's no competing MLB team in the Sacramento area. The lack of an NHL team in the Sacramento area is also why Sharks games can easily be viewed there.

Conversely, the Bay Area and the Sacramento area are two competing NBA markets, with the Warriors owning the rights to the former and the Kings owning the rights to the latter.

-G

athletics68 and Beckham7 repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's sort of funny how these leagues have divided the country into territories 'owned' by their teams. Very feudal...

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm humbled that I couldn't fathom how funny that was when I first saw this movie - in high school - Instead being enamored by a man-eating rabbit and a castle full of scantly clad ladies begging for a spanking.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You know, I was just thinking about this aspect of the brilliance of Monty Python the other day. There's ample sophomoric humor to satisfy high school boys, but it's cheek-to-jowl with incredibly incisive -- and even prophetic -- social and political commentary. They just keep on giving through every life stage.

markmcf8, Quakes05, NedZ and 2 others repped this.
  18. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s no wonder I can’t figure out when or where To watch the quakes play

bsman repped this.
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even at the beginning of each pregame and in-game thread? :(

-G

DotMPP, bsman, don gagliardi and 2 others repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Goodsie,
    I always reference your pre-game thread to see on what channel I will find the Quakes on Direct TV. Thanks for providing that info, it never fails me!

Goodsport, markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  21. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Yeah! Me too. Dish TV information is always spot on. Thanks!

Goodsport repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Comcast channels cited are always spot on, too. And I wouldn't be able to cope with daylight savings time (or know how the Giants fared on a daily basis, or the proper dimensions of a soccer field or kit color scheme) without Goodsport, either. :)

Goodsport, markmcf8 and DotMPP repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Before we canonize Goodsport, however, it should be remembered that Levi's Stadium sucks.

davez, markmcf8, DotMPP and 2 others repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    However, to be fair, Blue-Black-Blue IS the proper color for Quakes home kits!

Goodsport, markmcf8 and tectonicnight repped this.
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I acknowledged that: ". . . I wouldn't be able to . . . (. . . know . . . the proper . . . kit color scheme) without Goodsport, either."

Goodsport, DotMPP and bsman repped this.