Sacramento Republic FC: former partners, future rivals

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Dec 7, 2015.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's even worse in the Smell-A area. At least in Norcal we have some infrastructure for allowing excess precipitation to percolate into the groundwater basins. In SoCal, they just let it all run out to the ocean.

I strongly believe that the state's (writ large) current strategy of almost total reliance on surface storage of water is both short-sighted and impractical, but it will take a long time to reboot over 100 years of strongly-held beliefs, not to mention just plain inertia. I do not know if there will be a sufficient amount of political will to spend the money to do what needs to be done...

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, their infrastructure is really bad at dealing with anything but the slightest of rainfall. Just with moderate rainfall there are pools of water all over the roads, at least in certain parts of SoCal.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Expansion Update

Sacramento Republic FC
    One by product of the news that LAFC were coming into the league alone next year was word from FiftyFive.One that Sacramento were rumored to be coming in with them. Apparently the unrest in the ownership group and submitting a bid without the Republic brand caused them to just fall back inline as just another bid. Ouch.

4. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sorry @xbhaskarx. I'm crossposting because that article you linked is friggin garbage
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Get that garbage piece out of here. That dude just regurgitates headlines, and passes along opinion as actual information. "Apparently" is the key word. See below

Here is the quote from Fiftyfive.One
    The bolded means that "in the authors opinion". In other words, nobody said that, he just thinks that. The dumbass from Blue Testament just passed that along as actual info.

Also, he fact that the FiftyFive.One author is saying there's "unrest" within the ownership group shows he didn't do any meaningful research. The latest from Warren Smith and Kevin Nagle:
    Damn. Sounds like some serious ownership unrest. Don't forget, MLS participated in mediating the two groups on Nagle's purchase of Sac Republic from Warren Smith. They're not going into this 50/50. They never were. The MLS ownership group is ponying up ~$400 million to build a stadium and buy a franchise. There was never ownership unrest. Warren doesn't have anywhere close to that kind of money to be a participating partner. He'll be a small investor. Nagle is buying a brand that MLS wants. It was a disagreement over the purchase price (caused by USL's rapidly increasing value- with SRFC is its flagship)

Regarding Sac entering in 2018 with LAFC. That was briefly discussed Spring of 2016, when Miami was on the ropes (right before Beckham bought Overtown), and MLS was looking at Sactown as the replacement. Remember the letter SRFC sent out before last season? The one that said this was our year for MLS? MLS was getting ready to pull the plug on Miami. Becks met a deadline at the eleventh hour by purchasing property. Tidbit of info for everyone.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh now it's official that Jed York, Meg Whitman, and their ownership group are going to take over Sac Republic. And San Diego's MLS bid is endangered by SDSU on the same day.

Personally, I feel that if MLS allows Jed York to join the league, then MLS deserves to have as many debacles and as much embarrassment as the 49ers have brought upon the NFL. I also expect that SAC fans are going to end up very unhappy in the long run, with skyrocketing ticket prices and ownership about as uncaring of its customers as Quakes ownership.

QuietType and falvo repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow -- Meg and Jed... There's a marriage made somewhere warmer than the Bay Area... :whistling:

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come and listen to a story about Meg and Jed,
    poor gillionaires with hardly any cred...
    One day they were looking to invest,
    And along came the Republic with an awesome crest...

Take it from here guys..

DotMPP, mjlee22 and bsman repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #283 falvo, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    I didn't realize the York's were interested in soccer. I remember his grandfather Edward J. DeBartolo, Sr, owned the indoor Pittsburgh Spirit during the old MISL but that is all I can remember in regards to the DeBartolo family's interest and/or investment in the game.

Sacramento ownership group, Republic FC reach agreement for ...

[​IMG]

9. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm no Jed or Meg fan either, but they are minority investors. I think Kevin Nagle will do a good job.

mangerson repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to Vivek Ranadive, I thought he was involved as well?

11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He's another minority investor; most of the Kings heavy hitter owners are part of the Kings "minority" stake in the Republic.

12. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not. They're interested in making money.

F Jed and F Meg. I hope they play as little a role as possible in the club, they're failures at what they've done. Sure, they've personally made a lot of money from what they've touched, but what they've touched has suffered because of their incompetent leadership.

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Can i tweet that?

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it needs a couple more stanzas.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first thing you know Jed and Meg are soccer fans,
    Just hope they don't screw it up, like we know they can,
    Cuz MLS is the place they want to be,
    So they're loading up their cash and heading to NYC.

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always though the DeBartolo family would have more ties to the Bay Area as opposed to Sacramento.

17. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably do.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't mind Eddie D buying a piece of the world Quakes!

19. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One stanza is all that will fit in a tweet...

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tweet away.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can then get Max Bretos to sing it for you. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever since his unfortunate joke about Jeremy Lin, I change the channel/webpage whenever Max Bretos shows up.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    865681140887060480 is not a valid tweet id

865681591829372928 is not a valid tweet id

DotMPP repped this.
  24. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick, get his second stanza in there! :ROFLMAO:

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SACRAMENTO REPUBLIC FC LAUNCHES MLS STADIUM CONSTRUCTION WITH “GROUND-MAKING” EVENT

Dubbed a “Ground-Making” celebration, the event launches the first of two phases in the MLS stadium construction schedule. In Phase 1, workers will complete site preparation activities, including adding and leveling additional soil onto the site to make it “pad ready” at the right elevation and specifications. Phase 1 will be completed by Spring 2018. Phase 2 will then begin in Spring 2018 with a "groundbreaking” event to launch full-scale construction activities. The current construction schedule calls for the stadium to be complete by February 2020 in time for the opening of the 2020 MLS season.

The decision to move forward with the ground-making and Phase 1 construction activities represents the latest commitment by Nagle and Republic FC to move Sacramento’s MLS bid to a winning conclusion. In addition to millions of dollars already invested in stadium predevelopment and the MLS bid, Phase 1 construction reflects an even greater investment by Nagle and Republic FC in the bid prior to the formal award of MLS expansion rights.

Current plans call for a $245M, privately-financed soccer-specific stadium that will initially seat 20,000 with the potential to expand overall capacity to 22,000. The 406,000 square foot facility will be situated on a 14.9 acre site between 8th and 10th streets and Railyards Boulevard and North B Street. Located in the heart of downtown Sacramento, the MLS stadium will be located one block from a Regional Transit station, and less than a 10 minute walk from the Golden 1 Center and other downtown attractions.

bsman repped this.