Sacramento MLS Expansion Superthread

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by 30King, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    They're not out here on the doom ledge ... :(

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think whales can jump off cliffs? I imagine waiting for Neagle trying to find a buddy for MLS, that theory could be tested however.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From a marketing perspective, is the name really selling the ledge? As an outsider looking in only now and then, I could have sworn this was done deal a couple years back. I admit, I did not see Nashville coming, though.

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it doesn't much matter unless he/she turns east at the Golden Gate, north at Angel Island, east at Vallejo and then takes the unmarked exit to Rio Vista.

We need to put out signs.

5. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Just a billboard or two...
    [​IMG]

Knave repped this.
  6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And best of all, that billboard has a ledge I can sit on!

7. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's Rivalry Week in MLS and the league has declared that the Galaxy's main rival is not San Jose but LAFC.

The only logical explanation is that MLS is holding a spot for Sacramento to be SJ's rival. Right?

Right.

:cool:

don gagliardi repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  9. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alrighty, ladies and gents, here's the latest from the soccer Don and it's somewhat discouraging.

Or, not.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ion-theres-been-some-talk-phoenix/1286306002/

In the video Don talks expansion, and mentions "five or six or seven (cities) that are still in the mix." Later, he names six cities:

SD
    Detroit
    St. Louis
    Phoenix
    Charlotte
    Vegas

Who's #7, if there is one? Discouraging.

OTH, I distinctly remember a few years ago he discussed expansion cities at halftime on the MLS All Star game broadcast and he didn't mention Minnesota, only to announce the Minnesota franchise a couple of weeks later.

I don't buy into the SaCrewmento talk. I'm increasingly more interested on what the long-term solution for a USL stadium will be. OMG, let it not be a baseball field.

2in10 repped this.
  10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    From here on my ledge I see no long term solution other than doom.

SierraSpartan repped this.
  11. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
  12. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bill Archer's take today on the Columbus Crew board may make you feel better:

You know, the more I think about this, the worse it is for Precourt, while Don Garber comes out smelling like a rose.

Naturally.

This solution, whereby Columbus gets an expansion side, puts Lightweight McFratboy in a tough spot.

Consider:

For some time now, it's been obvious that the reason he didn't give official, plain English, unmistakable notice that he was abandoning Columbus was so that he could maintain a fallback position, both as a safety net in case Austin didn't work out and as a lever to use with the locals down there, as in "if you don't give me what I want, I'll just keep the team where it is"

He just lost that option, and now the tables have turned: Austin now has HIM over a barrel.

Because if Fatboy can't pull off a stadium in Austin, if the locals manage to stop him, what does he do then?

If DonnyTheG is telling the truth for once, and I believe he is, Fatboy was given one out - move to Austin.

Maybe he can sell his rights to someone in Austin, but it'll be a fire sale. They'll know he's stuck and they'll beat him to death. If there's one thing we know about TonyToniTone, it's that he doesn't have the kind of dough to just let that investment sit on a shelf.

Now maybe you're thinking,"OK, Gorilla face, but he can sell the thing someplace else". I don't think so.

He only has the right to set up shop in Austin. He can't set up elsewhere or sell his rights to a group in another city unless MLS gives him a waiver on his contract.

And why would they?

If, for example, San Antonio passes muster, MLS stands to pocket $150 million. They can literally call SA this afternoon and have a check on Don's desk by noon Monday.

What do you suppose the odds are they're willing to step aside and let Fratass have that cash? It'll be a cold day in hell.

Any place else, same deal. MLS would have to grant him special permission to rob them of $150 million payday. Not bloody likely. They like money too much and him not at all.

Precourt is in a serious bind now. Austin, if they're smart, can now start making demands, and PSV's lawyers are going to have to cave. Taxes? "We've been thinking; maybe you should kick in a bit more". Train station? "You're really going to have to help out with that". Improvements, site remediation, road work? Get your wallet out, Fat Boy.

They're crazy if they don't - they're holding all the cards. Precourt has no other options now.

Furthermore, I would be shocked if MLS does not have a guaranteed performance clause stating that if you don't put a team on the field you lose your spot. Every other league in the world has something very similar and I doubt that MLS is any different. Either you're in or you're out.

And if that's the case, and the poor little lad can't manage to make Austin happen - and remember, MLS still has not approved the move or the stadium - then it's even possible that he's done with soccer entirely.

What a shame that would be.

A year ago he was grinning his grin and pissing on Columbus. Who's laughing now?

2in10 repped this.
  15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad Garber is going to come out smelling of roses. He really is a shit and doesn't deserve this. He has played two entities off each other.

That being said Precourt is going to get everything he deserves for this underhanded play.

don gagliardi repped this.
  16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, uh, we're still doomed, right?

2in10 repped this.
  17. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    I'm just hooking up the TV so we can watch the playoffs from the ledge. Anyone need a beer?

18. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    ...and like clockwork, the SRFC braintrust puts out their say-nothing-but-keep-hope-alive releases...

As to our fearless leaders...

Why do I find myself less than impressed?

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yup. We're still doomed.

20. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, "last phase" or final throes?

Congratulations to the soccer fans of Austin. Nothing speaks louder than an average home attendance of 3.200 for the Aztex to drive home the point that Austin is the sleeping giant of American soccer.

QuietType and 2in10 repped this.
  21. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    32. My new favorite number.

22. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love it if San Antonio comes into the league instead of Austin :)

You folks in Sac worry too much. You'll be in. We in SJ need a NorCal rivalry to drive ratings for both teams. Tech City vs Cow Town. We can have the Capitol Corridor Cup.

The question is when will you be in? 29 or 30? Hopefully after 28, there won't be a long break...

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If wishes were horses...

I think the Sac fans concern (and mine as a Raleigh-Durham hopeful) is that even though there's a lot of interest with 12 bid groups, actually wanting a team, and MLS wanting to expand - doesn't make it easy. MLS wanted to announce two teams last November and two next month. They announced one last year, one earlier this year, and I think it's pretty obvious that 27/28 are "on hold" as none of the current bid groups meets all of MLS's current requirements.

And MLS wants expansion. If Detroit, St. Louis, or San Diego actually had a locked in stadium deal, they'd be in. If Sacramento actually had the big money backing, they'd be in.

The delay isn't on MLS's side at this point. The only "break" in expansion is that it is really hard to put together the ownership group and the facilities that MLS is mandating.

I'm pretty sure MLS didn't expect only 2 of 12 bid groups to cross the line by this point, and I'm pretty sure at least half of the 12 bid groups themselves expected to pass muster.

Now if a SRFC supporter wins the $900 million MegaMillions lottery, things could look up real quick.

bobby_guzman, QuietType and 2in10 repped this.
  24. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like we all can take Detroit out of the running now. Gives Sac a little more time to line up the "whale" (yes, I know, that word is starting to get shunned around these parts).

I also believe San Diego is done-zo. SDSU, if they get the land, they're gonna make sure that they're the ones calling the shot on the stadium build, and MLS ma not go with that.

The real competition is Phoenix and St. Louis. I think both cities and Sac as well will get in, that makes it a perfect 30 just in time for DonG to call it a day by 2022. 4 year break to get all warmed up for the 2026 WC on our soil, and then add the last 2 large markets Detroit and Tampa to hit 32.

I said it before and I'll say it again: I can't wait to attend away games when we play you up there, I can already imagine walking along the river to your stadium, having a cigarette along the way, feeling the evening breeze on my face. It's gonna be goooooooodddddd

25. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we've moved on to simply being jaded about the whole thing.