News: Sacha Kljestan Agrees Move To Anderlecht

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by walkingcity, Jun 3, 2010.

1. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Re: REPORT: Sacha Kljestan Agrees Move To Anderlecht

The part of the story that doesn't make sense - the transfer window timing matters in the country doing the buying. Therefore, if this is true he can go right now, not in mid July.

The league can't sign guys until mid-July, but we can sell guys to Europe starting June 1.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Man........the negativity........

This is a really good move for Sacha. Anderlecht is a good club, with a lot of history, and a track record of developing players........and one at which he can win playing time.

Sacha has played better over the last year than people give him credit for. There's a reason that clubs such as Celtic and Anderlecht are interested in him. Is he Xavi? Of course not, and he never will be. Is he good enough to be successful at Anderlecht? Of course he is.

Do people really think the Belgian league is all that better than MLS? If Sacha can be successful in MLS, he can be successful in Belgium. Actually.........with the elimination of foreign player rules, I'm surprised more Belgian clubs don't ransack MLS. Especially younger kids. When you look at Belgian club rosters nowadays, they're like United Nations charts.

Plus, in Belgium they have playoffs!! Playoffs? (Insert best Jim Mora impression).

3. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Congrats Sacha hopefully he can develop more and be a main stay at the US team good luck!:)

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

There are increasing rumors in the YA forums that the Bornstein to Atlante deal may also be happening.

I'm always torn in these cases.

Bornstein and Kljestan aren't exactly Roberto Carlos and Xavi..........but they're pretty good MLS-level players. If you're a ChivasUSA fan, you must be wondering what the hell your team is going to do. But as a USMNT fan, I like our players to be challenging themselves all the time in new leagues, new levels, etc.

We sometimes just need to think of our like league like they do in Argentina. (not that they like it, but they accept it) For now, we're a feeder league. That means even our average to above average players are going to be sought after by foreign clubs. It's a mark that we're doing something right. In Argentina they just replace the lost crop with a new crop, and keep on trucking. Can we?

5. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

hopefully sign a good DP and these are just some cap clearing moves.

6. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Shit. Belgium. The dullest country in Europe.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

July 1.

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

IMO Sacha' is better at what he does in MLS, then Bornstein.

But I think both moves are good, if they do occur. If the rumor is true of Bornstein for Maldonado.... man Chivas USA would get themselves a HELL of a striker... who may just need a change in league to re-ignite his past form with NT and with Atlante.

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Explain why.

From everything I've ever seen the only window that matters is the one of the team doing the buying. It's why Albert Riera came close to moving to Russia well outside of the typical European transfer window this spring.

10. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

The windows open up I think at the end of June right? Or July 1st for most teams? And yes, it only matters when the window opens for teams (depending on their league, MLS and russia can buy players deep into march-april because of their delayed starts).

But many times for these leagues like MLS and Russia, it is hard sometimes to buy players during their opening, so they instsead have to buy them during the opening windows of european teams, or south american teams, which are about all the same.

11. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm fine with the moves. Every time I think our pool of players looks depleted somebody seems to step up to fill the gaps. I guess the reality is that playing makes the player. Removing a few barriers to playing time helps the pool.

This goes against the assumption that if player x were any good they'd be playing. That assumption has never adequately accounted for the conservative bias of coaches inclined to stick with veterans.

Is there a segment of Argentine fans who seem to think that their domestic players are crap until they move abroad?

12. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with the rule changes that the MLS has put in for transfer fees if they are selling both Sacha and Bornstein they will have a lot of money to spend in MLS terms. Chivas should get 2/3rd of any transfer fee and can use up to $650,000 of that as allocation dollars. The new DP rulse allow you to buy down the DP hit to $150,000 or $300,000 for two. Sacha and Bornstein made about $300,000 combined which means if Chivas wants to spend the money they could add two DPs with out effecting their salary cap.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Nice. Maldonado would probably be a DP if he came. I could def. see that happening.

14. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope he likes the bench. The beer's better over there at least.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, the Eurowindow opens July 1.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

A person in Nottingham is calling Belgium dull?

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

FYP:p

18. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC

Well there's the Belgian League and then there's Anderlecht. They ran away with the title, had a pretty ironclad lineup (save for right back) and probably should have beaten Hamburg in the Europa League. I don't think it's impossible that Klejstan can be successful in Belgium, but it may have been a better idea to go to a slightly smaller Belgian team (Ghent, Standard Liege) because he may struggle for playing time at Anderlecht. But the good thing for him is that Belgian fans seem to take well to North American players more than the rest of Europe. Onyewu and Tomasz Radzsinski were absolute heroes for their respective teams, and the fans treated them accordingly. The coach of Anderlecht, Ariel Jacobs, loves guys who are versatile and play out of position without a fuss. So, I guess even if Klejstan is playing out of position, he should shut up and play hard, otherwise he will find himself nailed to the bench for sure.

19. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

I'll show you a good time in Nottingham!

It's a date.

xx

20. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the Russian transfer window ends March 31st. This is because they play a summer schedule. Their summer transfer window only runs for a month, unlike most of the rest of Europe's which runs for two months.

21. Angelo1405

Angelo1405 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lmao look at their logo !!!

[​IMG]

22. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

That looks to be the opposite of dull to me!

23. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I'm aware. My point is that even though the English transfer window was closed, Riera would have been able to move because the Russian window was open.

Therefore, I have no idea why this deal would need to wait until July. Even though our window is closed, the Belgian window is open.

From everything I've seen, the only transfer window that matters is the one of the league doing the buying.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Anderlecht do seem to have a lot of depth in the center of midfield, which is where I think Sacha should be playing. Are any of those guys leaving? Biglia, Polak, Kouyaté, Mareček, Guillaume Gillet, etc.? Sacha does play on the wings at times for Chivas. Hopefully they're not thinking of him as a replacement for Boussoufa......who surely is going to be grabbed by a "big" club soon.

25. Lang

Lang New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht

This is an old logo xD

The last one is that one

[​IMG]

this is how it goes when the league is sponsored by a brand of beer :D