S50: Netherlands v. Sweden, 3 July

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2019.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden had a golden generation?
    When Schelin retired I might have believed that.
    They've always been competitive in my book.
    They have a good domestic league and should continue to put out quality players.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeah. If you challenge, you HAVE to get it.

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    So I feel like if USA were maximal unlucky, they would’ve lost the final in 2011, 2015 and 2019 :p

4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultimately, I think the Dutch deserved to win this match. They play a much more interesting style of futbol and it should be a good final. The Euro champs vs the previous world cup champs, it doesn't get any better than that.

I was perplexed by that foul on Aslani that was never reviewed. What's the rule on VAR review in such cases?

5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is the last WWC most likely. In an interview from 2 years ago, she talked about stepping away from football and starting a family with her wife. She's my favorite Sweden player, so I feel for her. Solid, hardworking player; Sweden was lucky to have her.

blissett, soccernutter and jocasta repped this.
  6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And Wolfsburg! Without her, I don’t want to imagine how much more vulnerable they would’ve been
    One of the best CBs all time in the women’s game

blissett and jocasta repped this.
  7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad to see the women’s football World Cup final is between 2 teams coached by women

jocasta, blissett, Ethan Frank and 5 others repped this.
  8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    He also cheated Ireland in the 103’

9. What foul on Aslani?

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are absolutely right.
    I just wanted to bring my comment to the forefront mostly because of the post you quoted.

Val1 repped this.
  11. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    MiLLeNNiuM and jocasta repped this.
  12. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    If corner kicks counted a tenth of a point, I think Sweden might have won....

blissett repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Sweden have had the best record against the USA of any team (7 wins, 11 losses, 5 draws in this millenium)

Maybe they shouldn’t have tanked the final group stage match and gotten the other bracket.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  14. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was she knocked unconscious? I didn't see it

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I once played in a rec league that used corners as first tiebreaker. It was awful. I’d just run along the goal line and wait for a challenge, then hit it off the opponent. If i crossed, i got yelled at.

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At what point was that possible Aslani PK?

17. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about British commentators mind their own business or give the Netherlands the credit they deserve

blissett and L'orange repped this.
  18. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Lindahl was pretty bitter in the post-game interview, saying that she thought her team played better [except for the little matter of scoring...] and going so far as to say "it's not fair." But she's hurting now for sure, as one of those oldies who also will not get another chance at this. Post-game commentators say that she hates football just now, not sure whether she said that herself or whether they inferred it.

The post-game reminds us that there were some unfortunate conicidences for Sweden -- not only was Rolfö unavailable, but then Björn, who had been a consistent sub and a good one, was hurt during warm-ups or something. So they were down a starter and a first-line substitute right from the start. (No one is really complaining, that's just how the footy cookie crumbles; still, a bummer. And it shows that Sweden's A-team (which did not play against the US in the group match) is quite good, but the bench is a little thin at the moment.)

19. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaah, yes, but I'm already in the next millennium. :)

20. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if it was near the end of the 2nd half or in the first E.T. half.
    I'll have to look it up.

21. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not unconscious, but she got hit hard by the ball on the side of the face, and she could not have been at all prepared for it, so her neck got bent sideways a bit, and she looked fixed-eyed on the ground. Concussion would be my guess. I'm keeping an eye on the news for ... well, news.

blissett repped this.
  22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would have at least been tested more at the very least.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Forcing players to do these interviews right after such crucial games really isn’t fair. All these interviews with emotional drained players are really hard to watch. What exactly is gained by them? Even the ones with the winning teams are bad.

They should at least give them 30 minutes to recuperate. Having to do the interviews right after games when the other team are celebrating next to you can’t be easy either.

jocasta, blissett, Thomsen and 2 others repped this.
  24. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yaaaaaas! My leeuwinnen! So proud! What a team. Euro winners now WC finalists!

Groenen should win player of the tournament regardless she has been immense.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Did you see where Steph Houghton was being interviewed by a British media outlet after yesterday's semifinal and got annoyed, and then cut the interview short, because Horan was yucking it up and yelling behind her?