Ryan Raybould in Sweden

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Buzz Killington, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    4th Division?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://ozcitysoccer.com/2008/03/19/two-07-wizards-find-new-teams/

Wizards blog Oz City has a translation of one of the articles. Interesting that he's the clubs "biggest signing." But it also mentions how Raybould just wants this to be a jumping off point. The team and Raybould apparently have an understanding that he can leave in July.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Brian Dunseth, if I recall correctly, was essentially a star in the third division with Bodens a few years back.

If Raybould, who has a bunch of MLS appearances under his belt, can deliver at a similar level he'll move up quickly.

I don't know this player, but I assume anyone who can make an MLS roster (he was promoted from the developmental squad) should be a star in the Swedish fourth division.

6. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Au Contraire, SFS tells me that the Swedish 4th division is about on par with the bottom third of MLS. ;)

Just kidding, sidefoot!

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Swedish 4th Division must be below the Pacific Coast League.

8. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    Interesting, there isnst so many foreign players in this division. Becuase the clubs often does'nt have the economy to give a player a full time contract.

The Swedish 4th Division is splitted in to regional series. So there can be difference between the south and the north. But last years biggest breakthrough player Johan Oremo played in the Swedish 5th Division the year before that, and he also got called up to the u21 national team, and also got called up to the national team tour in america this winter, i don't know if he played against USA.

So if he plays well he may can impress on some "bigger" clubs

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. A big jump from a lower division to a mid-table Allsvenskan side. I don't know much about Ryan (other than playing a handful of games for KC) but he most of made some impact in the lower leagues. Sweden and Norway have begun big distinations for Yanks due to few restrictions being placed on foriegners. Good luck to Ryan I hope he can impress and gets some games for Gefle IF!!

11. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    yeah, it became official today.

Idag blev det klart - means it became official today.

he will be competing for a starting job at outside back. the coach is also quoted about how ryan is a very ambitious player. let's hope he wins a starting job.

the number of american players is quickly increasing in the top swedish league, though davies is still the only player who has quality to start for a stronger side.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks for the help.

13. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    Ryan Raybould made his debute for Gefle IF in the Swedish top flight Allsvenskan tonight away to Djurgårdens IF. He played a full 90 minutes.

Gefle lost 2-0.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  15. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    I couldnt really say as I didn't realise he was playing until after the match, but I had a look in their local paper and will translate the match coverage that mentions him.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sounds like he may be lacking tactical awareness at this point.

It may take him a few games to pick up the coaching instructions, as they relate to the type of play in Allsvenskan.

17. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    Ryan Raybould played the full 90 again @home to Helsingborgs IF on the 26th of August.

I found some comments from Ryan before that game...

• What are your thoughts of your first game (2-0 loss to DIF)
    – I'm used to the tempo but I have to adapt to the differences in style compared to american football.
    • What's the biggest difference?
    – It's more 1 vs 1 in america. This is more tactical.

Raybould is starting his second game in the Allsvenska, and the first at home. He's excited about playing against Henrik Larsson.
    – He's a world class player who I'm looking forward to play against. Just look at the goal he scored for the national team last week. World class!

Gefle IF won 3-0 and Raybould seems to have had a decent game at least.

I quote some local paper

"Ryan Raybould in defence played well and showed attacking intentions on his left flank playing with good tempo and speed."

Gefle IF are playing are playing Malmö FF today, Raybould should start, although some contract dispute with Gefle's other left back Dahlén has recently ended which will mean strong competition for the starting spot.

[​IMG]
    picture from 2-0 loss to DIF

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. DIF1891

DIF1891 Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Stockholm
    Loose translation:

Gefle had their best spell of the game and we where just waiting for a goal.

Instead we conceded to 0-1 in the 75th minute. It was a unnecessary mistake where Raybould got caught in possession and the centre back Hedlund had no chance to recover. Harbuzi took full advantage and scored with a shot that hit the post and in.