Russian soccer commentator quits on live television after referee ‘misses’ two penalty calls

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Mi3ke, Oct 12, 2017.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The world cup is going to be something else...

2. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    #4 kayakhorn, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    just copy and paste the text of the link

And that is some miserable refereeing

(edit) To elaborate, from the quality of the video and the distance of the camera from the play, it's at least possible that the attacker collapsed on his own, but once the foul is called it has to be in the PA. The handling was pretty obvious, even under NFHS rules.:sneaky:

3. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Thanks. It looks to me as if the keeper is telling the ref "But I fouled him in the PA!" ??? or is he saying something else?

4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It looks to me like the ref is calling handling by the keeper. After he mugs the attacker, he grabs the ball from outside of the PA and pulls it back in.

5. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was ... um, er...yeah. That was bad. I agree it looks like he called handling on the GK. That's the only plausible reason for putting the FK there. Why in the world he didn't get carded for literally grabbing it and holding it I have no idea. And the subsequent FK that was swatted by the defender is the most blatant handling I have ever seen in my life. He literally swats the ball. And the CR clearly sees it as he makes an "all clear keep playing" sort of signal.

I have $10 that says there is way more to this story than we know.

6. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I don't care if the play by play guy is paid by the club or not. That was totally unprofessional. I've been doing radio play by play for 20 years. If you disagree with a call, you call what you see, you explain what the referee called, and move on. To belabor the point on air is bad enough. To leave the broadcast is ridiculous.