Russia on fire

Discussion in 'International News' started by 96Squig, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So, Russia is being devastated by wildfires, the smoke is a health hazard for people living in Moscow, an airbase has been hit with helicopters and other aircrafts damaged. 50 confirmed death, 500 wounded, toll rising, and there are a number of oil refineries (with no fire response system) close... A nuclear research facility had to be evacuated. Italy, Kazakshtan and Ukraine sent help already, other countries have offered help as well.

On YOutube there are some scary videos. I just hope they can somehow get this under control...

2. laasan

laasan Member

Apr 12, 2010
    this reminds me of a very much unreported problem, the deforestation of Russia, and it's effect on CO2 concentrations. this has been a massive problem for years, long before the fires started. Russia cuts down far more forest every year than in the rain forests. everyone is focused on saving those since they absorb a lot of CO2, but the Russian forests, which absorb far more, are for some reason ignored. now those fires make it even worst.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I did a search for Russia, and this is one of the threads that came up.

So Putin to make constitutional changes, the Prime minister will gain more power, the President will lose out power (again).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/euro...esigns-vladimir-putin-reforms-intl/index.html

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well obviously the constitutional changes are fantastic, they passed the Duma by unanimous vote.

So how come people be unhappy when the vote was unanimous?

Is like claiming Saddam Husein was unpopular after winning 99% of the vote in his last presidential election.

https://apnews.com/cd3da0ce6164436aac3f82b06c09b694