Russia 2018: Ticket Thread (sales at face-value ONLY)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Gustavo Fonseca, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We talk about demand being strong but at this stage there are comparatively so few messages and threads on this site and Trip Advisor that I do wonder how much interest there is except for us regulars. It sounds selfish but one of the things I liked about tickets on sale before the games were arranged was that the locals would not pay nearly a year in advance and also for a game without knowing the teams but that will change if this is correct. I presume the last place we will ever see this confirmed is the FIFA WC Website.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  2. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There'll be more discussion once something has been confirmed, I suspect.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  3. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    #53 jesta, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    That depends where you're coming from. There are countries whose citizens do not need visa for Russia. I do not need one myself, for an example.

But for the rest, you're right. At confed cup they were checking every single fan if he had appropriate Fan-ID accompanied with the ticket (name on the ticket didn't matter)

And about the sales start in December, while anything is possible with FIFA, it is really hard to believe FIFA would accept to lose so much money as they would if they wait until after the draw!

4. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #54 rooboy91, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    People were able to get into the country on regular tourist visas, if applicable, and get Fan IDs after arrival.

5. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I totally agree with this point and it is as if FIFA and the Russian government have fallen out. They have to be very careful as with the apathy on their website plus the apathy on fan's forums matched with delaying the ticket period. In addition of course Brazil was always attraction for people whereas Russia is more of a challenge in that way. It is all very well Alexei Smertin saying it is going to be the bigest and the best WC. Well it can't be the biggest as too many of their staia are too small and to be the best it would help to start with a smidgeon of enthusiasm for those that are putting the event on.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, with each day that passes without any news to the contrary that rumor about ticketing only beginning in December becomes more and more likely. It's been over a year since the last time an article was posted on the FIFA World Cup ticketing webpage! :rolleyes:

7. samatwing

samatwing Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, the last thing Fifa posted about tickets was that the lottery would be available sometime after the Confed Cup.

8. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    I seem to remember there are going to be some host-city tickets you can apply for, i.e. two or more matches in the same location (like France 2016). You'd expect those to be available before the draw.

Stuckin1au repped this.
  9. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You'd expect a lot of things currently but the FIFA office is shut with 'gone to lunch' on the door.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, December is "sometime after" the Confed Cup. :p But yeah... joking aside, the implication of that article is soon after the Confed cup. I'm just not sure how relevant that estimate is given the article is over a year old.

In any case, for the Brasil World Cup, Phase 1 began on 20 August which is pretty much the latest you could start it if you want to squeeze a random selection phase and a first-come-first-served phase before the draw, unless of course they shorten the length of the phases (but that makes no sense if they want to maximize sales).

Stuckin1au repped this.
  11. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Brazil first phase was also delayed for 2-3 weeks if my memory serves right. It just seems very strange that they gone on about the all so unimportant Confederations Cup on their site and yet no mention of the main course as if they had somewhat forgotten all about it. Happy for them to forget about Qatar 2022 mind you.

12. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://tass.com/sport/956241

13. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I find it somewhat worrying that we've heard so little from FIFA about the ticket sales process.

For comparison, for Brazil 2014, FIFA had released details in May 2013 about how the sales phases would work. In July 2013, they announced the ticket prices.

14. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes it is utter ridiculous like hthy have never given it a moments thought and for Germany 2006 it was Feb. 2005 that it all started. I really do get the feeling that the Russian orgainising committee are not in agreement on arrangements with FIFA.

15. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it interesting and agree with @Ric_Braz that it might indicate there are some issues between FIFA and Russia, but it doesn't worry me. I'm sure the ticket sales will start in plenty of time, probably right after the draw or in early January. Because I want to try to make all 3 USA group stage matches, I'm not sure I would have participated in the pre-draw ticket lottery had they done one. I like to plan everything out in advance, so I personally like the idea that the pre-draw sale isn't happening.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well the ticket prices for Russia 2018 were announced over a year ago. But yeah... nothing so far about when the sales phases will begin.

17. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    yepp, FIFA really sucks, we get less and less fun. until 2010 they started year and a half before the tournament, 2014 they gave us 10 months only and now that might be down to seven. its only getting worse

18. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    What's happening with hotels, generally? Are they all going to be booked up months before anyone knows if they can get a match ticket?

19. Gustavo Fonseca

Jul 10, 2014
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    I already booked hotels for the days I intend to be there if I, hopefully, get tickets.
    Both places I booked have free cancellation.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good plan. So would you be able to revise the reservation 6 months from now when the demand is sky-high? I'm thinking of just reserving for the maximum amount of time and then shortening the reservation if I didn't get tickets for 1 or more of the games I apply for.

21. Araujo

Araujo Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jan 28, 2010
    Hello to all,

I made a reservation in Moscow from 17th to 28th June, also with free cancellation. Luckily I found a good hotel at IHG's website and cheaper than FIFA's website...

22. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just booked a Moscow hotel for just my first 3 nights, 12-15 June. I want to attend the Opening Match, and I'm almost surely going to attend the first USA match, which hopefully won't be on the 15th. There's not much else I plan to do before the draw.

Also, there is a WC18 Hotel Thread too. This ticketing thread is going to blow up once ticketing gets closer.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/russia-2018-hotel-thread.2058842/

23. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  24. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://tass.com/sport/956917

Excellent news.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That is good news. I was just assuming that I would fly between Moscow and St. Petersburg but I may have to reconsider. Of course I'm not sure how long the trip would take on Russian trains(?)

This might also help keep airline tickets from soaring. It was quite expensive flying between cities in Brasil, even if you got your airline ticket 8 months in advance.