Russia 2018: Hotel Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by KRCSoccer, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Taganskaya Hotel in Yekaterinburg just canceled my booking for no reason.
    I booked through booking.com

A***holes

2. Stuckin1au

Stuckin1au Member+

Dec 22, 2013
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Cancelled cause the Manager/Owner reckons they can charge more than you booked on. Even Brazil didn’t screw around like this with bookings

Ric_Braz repped this.
  3. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Greedy bastoords will hopefully lose by trying to rob us.

4. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Going by the Russian newspapers there will be hundreds of millions of foreigners (presumably with very deep pockets) coming so the hotels will be able to charge what they want.

5. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    These are the things written for every tourny. Then the prices go up nobody appears and they end up with feck all. Seen it loads of times.

BuddhaWake repped this.
  6. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Yep, is the same every time and everywhere. there will be plenty of places that come the tournament will have plenty of openings and handful of bookings here and there but by the time they realize people will have already booked in other places. It comes down to greed and ignorance as to how events such as this work etc.

Ric_Braz repped this.
  7. Fataliste

Fataliste Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Fez
    So guys what do you recommend if I want to book a room and not be canceled ?

8. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Praying or Paying a lot or Luck!
    Or you can ask after booking if they are going to cancel your reservation.

9. Fataliste

Fataliste Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Fez
    It seems we'll live in stress all these months before the trip. Like the problem of getting tickets is not enough.

alejo.87, Ric_Braz and BuddhaWake repped this.
  10. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    I knew this day was coming...

Airbnb host: "Sorry, I didn't manage to change the prices for that period in which you want to arrive because there will be a championship I have to raise prices for a little after all. Please understand me correctly. Thank you for understanding."

Even after I stated in my booking I'm coming for the world cup

11. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Damn! What did reply? Did you see how much they were raising it by? Sorry!

12. joecolesy

joecolesy New Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My advice is to keep checking.
    As a victim of the “sorry your confirmed booking is cancelled becoz we are going to put the rates up 10x” I guarantee a lot of hotel / hostels are going to come unstuck closer to the tournament dates.
    There is a huge amount of artificial booking activity going on - especially endorsed by Booking.com deals that state “reserve now but pay later”.

13. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think basically you have to find a hotel and pay for it all up front.
    So far I think Round one of the Russian Charm offensive has basically ended up with them being offensive.

BuddhaWake and Fataliste repped this.
  14. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What does fill me with dread that the country will see this as open season and just spend the entire time trying to rip us all off. I remember we were warned about Brazilian Taxi drivers and waiters but whether because I learnt a bit of Portuguese or because we were looking for it we had few problems.

It is not very relaxing going around being pictured as a wallet on legs.

15. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    Increased by about 80%, which isn't as bad as some of the big hotels we've heard about.

I will review other Airbnbs before I decide. Not so much money, it's the principal of it

16. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    I don't think Russians understand AirBnb. I make a booking for the advertised price then I get a message 5 minutes later saying that it's a big demand the price is more etc etc etc. Why not advertise it for that price then? I don't have time to play these dumb games keeping track of all these payments, cancellations, refunds, etc.

BuddhaWake, Gistavo Amaral and Ric_Braz repped this.
  17. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree entirely but have to say those in Rio were no better and made my mind up I would never deal again with these pretend landlords.

As with hotels you publish a voluntary price that is then accepted by the customer you confirm their acceptance and a verbal contract is made. We live in a strange all take world where that means absolutely nothing.

18. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I was lucky with my airbnb in Rio, although I contacted dozens. but swore never to use it for anything that wasn't a run of the mill day/situation and for that hotels are never an issue.

19. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I must've been extremely lucky then, because I contacted no more than 2 and got a great apartment near Copacabana beach without any issue at a decent price

I'm not extremely experienced with AirBnb, but what are the penalties (if any) if a "landlord" cancels a reservation?

20. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    For them? Not much, the apartment is unavailable but that doesn't stop them from listing it in other sites.

21. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There isn't a "penalty" if a host cancels, but if a host cancels a reservation at any time in a given year, they lose Superhost status.

22. MattC

MattC Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sounds like the ball is firmly in their court. Seems unfair considering cancellation policies can be very strict if the "tenant" cancels

23. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    is completely in their court. There is a huge thread in the brazil forum in trip advisor about people getting canceled on in the last minute and airbnb basically saying sorry and doing nothing. Usually around busy times, special events, festivals and the sort.

24. sk1001

sk1001 Member

Australia
    Oct 28, 2017
    It's an absolute farce. It is very simple to set specific prices for specific dates on airbnb but they (property owners) are not using this function and just making it a clusterf*ck.

Donal, BuddhaWake and Ric_Braz repped this.
  25. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    The Moscow ones will find they have shot themselves in the foot. Too many beds with not enough customers to fill them.
    The smaller cities that dont have as many beds will probably do ok out of it.