Russia 2018 Finalists: International Friendlies (R)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Depends on the draw, I give Iranian team a fair chance to advance from group stage but certainly It won't be enough to carry us further. Most teams advancing to R16 are very strong and play their heart out in knock out stage.

Previously we had high hopes in players like Sardar Azmoun who had offers from Lazio (as their CF) and Liverpool (as an alternative for Mane), but he made his worst decision by joining his old coach in Rubin Kazan. Now, I am not sure how dangerous we can get up in front. Our other choices are Gucci from Heerenveen, Ansarifard from Olymbiacos, Razei from Charleroi, Ghoddos from Ostersunds or Mehdi Taremi our league top goal scorers. None of them are at the level of Sardar Azmoun.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #152 Iranian Monitor, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    I agree with you for the most part, but would give the credit the Querioz differently. In this regard, my observations reading your comments and those of @Pipiolo are as follows:

1- Even I would have wanted Iran to bunker and defend against Argentina and use the same kind of tactics we did in that match. That was a no-brainer, didn't require much wit, and something that Argentina would and should have anticipated. That they had trouble with it showed a weakness in their side and what Argentina brings to the table that I will address shortly.

2- Carlos Queiroz has proven Henry Kissinger's observation of the Iranian people true. In one of his memoirs, Kissinger referred to the Iranian people as the most "individualistic" people in the world and mentioned how this trait meant that only the "most exalted authority" could be the kind to bring them to obey and act in concert. That has IMO been the key to Carlos Queiroz's undeniable success with Iran's team. His dictatorial and self-centered attributes, which I detest on a personal level, have made Iran's players (who would otherwise play to their own tune and cause issues) totally focused on doing what they are told and not causing off the field problems. And that focus, intensity, and concentration is something that is actually very important and helpful in implementing the kind of "defense-first" tactics Queiroz has been drilling.

3- Unlike World Cup 2014, were Iran was indeed largely a "one trick pony", this Iranian team being molded together since World Cup 2014 under Queiroz is actually pretty good. Or at least it was very good during most of the qualifiers. It is the kind of team that can advance from its group and even go very far. No team can necessarily count on beating Iran. And Iran has the tools to bite and hurt any side. Any opponent (other than a few teams like Panama) who wish to draw Iran in their group don't know what they are wishing for and will quite likely regret it. I will put it this way: this Iranian team can stop and even defeat any team it faces, but it is not assured of beating any of the sides in the World Cup either. The more favored the opponent, the better our chances of impressing actually.

4- The weakness with Argentina is two-fold. First, they aren't physically that strong. They can overpower a side that defends with numbers and have to only rely on skill. Even though Argentina is undoubtedly skillful, and Messi alone can eventually create headaches for anyone, that is still sometimes not enough to reliably overcome a bunker. What's more, Argentina's defense without the numbers to cover the space, isn't the best in the world either. This dynamic can hurt Argentina's chances of beating sides that play them compact in the back, but of course Argentina can always find its saving grace in a "Messi moment" - like the one they had against Iran.

Mani repped this.
  3. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #153 +PL+, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    I usually agree with most of your comments. Man I really miss 2001-2006 period when we had our golden generation and used to play open attacking football and pure technical and speed on the ground by Karimi, Mahdavikia, Azizi, ... Our defense was suck back then but our midfield and forward were killers.

Do we see those days again when CQ is gone after WC? I have a lot of respect for CQ for his discipline, organized D line and eye for talents but really disgust his ultra defensive fold which kills the fun of football.

I love those times when Karimi was the king in Asia.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  4. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In terms of player quality its uncontested that our squad is better than 2014. In 2014 our squad was basically the oldest in the tournament and was a salvage squad. Our only striker was a faltering Ghoochannejhad at Charlton. Now we have some guys who can find the net Azmoun/Taremi and CQ's newest foreign import Ghoddos(who picked us over Sweden).

If you planned on watching any of our games watch our LB who I think is secretly our best player(destined for the best European career out of all of them). Guy has pace on Yedlin/Musa level.

Getting to the next round is dependent on the group for us. I wouldn't expect them to go through if our group is Germany,Spain, Iran, Nigeria. We will be underdogs to go through but I like a matchup of Portugal, Peru, Iran, Panama as an ok chance of us going through where we still need to earn it.

Iranian Monitor and +PL+ repped this.
  5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If you are referring to Milad Mohammadi,I agree. In fact, his absence from our squad in our recent matches has IMO affected the stability and organization of our back line.

6. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is only a fast pace and hard working player with decent crosses. He is a warrior type but he lacks the physics. If he had the muscles and height of Rezaian, he could be a little more reliable. I am afraid he won't be as effective as we want against African/European teams. All they need is someone with strong physic try to shut him down by pushing or committing fouls on him. He was great in Russian league until he got injured.

Someone with Mahdavikia speed and strength could help us in that flank. Milad has the speed and intelligence but lacks strong physics. He can be effective against South American/Asian teams in my opinion. In Asia we can dominate or be imposing because of our natural physics but in WC that is not enough vs most of European and some African teams.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    No,I really disagree with you here. His defensive acumen and judgment is superb and he has an uncanny ability to stick to his marker and not allow opposing wingers to circle or get passed him. He might not be the most dazzling fullback when it comes to his ability to overlap, but he is alright in that regard as well. Overall, he is just an excellent player for us. Without him, I don't find Iran equally stable in the back.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Try getting physical with Uruguay.

9. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our players are not sisie and they are famous as rough players but not as bad tempered as Uruguay. No offence but Iranian players are strong enough to stand their ground vs South American teams physically including Uruguay.

Iranian players height
    GK: 192, 193, 194, 193 avg= 193
    DF: 187, 185, 182, 188, 190, 182, 185, 178 (Milad Mohamadi), 178 (RB) avg=184
    MF: 176, 179, 181, 190, 181 avg= 181.5
    W/FW: 185, 183, 177, 180, 186, 181, 180, 185, 187 avg= 182.7
    Total avg= 184.4

Uruguayan players height
    GK: 186, 186, avg = 186
    DF: 187, 185, 187, 196, 185, 173, 174 avg= 183.8
    MF: 187, 187, 171, 181, 176, 170, 177, 174, 169 avg=176.9
    W/FW: 188, 174, 184, 186, 184, 182 avg=183
    Total avg=181.1

As you can see Iranians are on average taller and physically larger compared to Uruguayan. Our Goal keepers are all 6-8 centimeters higher than Uruaguayan GKs. This means better aerial clearance on crosses and corners. Defense line is almost equal average height but Iranian have taller midfielders which means usually higher win percentage in aerial challenge and generally stronger players. Forwards and wingers are also similar in height. This is obviously just comparing advantage of physics of players and not skill sets or experiences.

10. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think, and I say this, fondly if Suarez bites someone like Taremi or Ezzatollahi he might never walk again.

11. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #161 +PL+, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    To enforce your view

@Pipiolo: One example: Watch this video from 1:00. (the stamp after a slap) not to be proud of this but we have also bad tempered players. This one is a minor case.

Or this one from min 4:53 (rough tackle)

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Back to the topic at hand...
    ....Colombian media is Reporting that Los Cafeteros will face Portugal and Egypt during the next FIFA dates in March.

Nani_17 repped this.
  13. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hope it's official. It would make sense considering they had to cancel their last scheduled friendly due to the confed cup. A match, although only a friendly, really is a long time coming.

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think that average height is enough to decide that Iran can manhandle Uruguay. I would like to see your team actually play Uruguay and see how it goes thinking they can manhandle them.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It has nothing to do with biting, more about seeing the Iranian attackers whimpering after Godin or Vecino puts them on their asses.

16. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #166 Mani, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    We actually did just that a few years ago, manhandling the Uruguayans who were trying to get dirty and physical with us, so much that some of their players were crying during the match, the police had to invade the pitch to restore peace, and there were multiple red cards and best of all, and I kid you not, and this is a true story, a group of Uruguayan players came to our team’s hotel in Hong Kong at midnight with baseball bats in hand, looking for a street fight with our players. :D

[​IMG]

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I like Iran to be No.1 in most things too, but lets be honest: we aren't going to even come close to being Uruguay or some other of these South America sides when it comes to the nasty and underhanded side of the game. Indeed, the match you refer to was a good lesson in that regard. For the record, I consider Iran one of the most clean cut and well behaved sides in international football. We are physically a very strong team in Asia and rather strong internationally, but that doesn't mean we are nasty, underhanded, or dirty. Not at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/world_football/2756735.stm
    Iran learn the hard way

For the record Iran lost on penalties, after extra-time failed to break a 1-1 deadlock, but the game exploded shortly after Fabian Estyanoff equalised Ali Samereh's 30th minute volley with six minutes to play.

Horacio Peralto lashed out at Iranian wing-back Alireza Vahidinikbakht, sparking a bench-clearing brawl that involved players, substitutes, officials, coaches and stadium security.

"He (Peralta) did a scissors kick with my head. Then they grabbed the referee's shirt and told him to be quiet.

"The number two (Diego Lugano) came and spat in my face at one point, and then afterwards he sent me a message in the hotel to come out and fight. They were beyond dirty," said a disgusted Vahedinikbakht.

Meanwhile Iranian centre-half Mohammad Nosrati complained that he was attacked outside the changing rooms before the start of the second period.

"During half-time in the tunnel the number 21 (Horacio Peralta) attacked me and punched me," alleged the Pas defender, adding that if the trip was meant to educate Iran's younger players about football in different parts of the world it worked.

"For that it was a very good experience. In Iran we used to hear that the South Americans - teams like Argentina and Uruguay - were very rough. Now we know it's true."

18. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only teams we will struggle with physically are the Nords for strength/Nigeria for speed.

If its biting/shirt pulling/elbows etc than thats a dirty game. That goes both ways.

Azmouns played Godin before and scored on him. Didnt seem tilted playing as a target man and backing into him for 90 minutes.

Who remembers when our little Hossein Kaabi RB in 2006 karate kicked Figo midair and roughed up Ronaldo? Lmao.

Im actually worried for Saudi because their team is the shortest in the tournament and outside their CBs ans a couple strikers might get manhandled in every game.

19. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In Asia only Iranian and Uzbek football players are physically dominants. (Australians can be physically dominant too). Both Iranians and Uzbeks have the stamina and physics of old Soviet Russian teams.

20. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You missed my point. Are we a dirty team? Not at all. But if a team tries to manhandle us and be dirty with us, we are not the type of team who will fold in such situations, we usually go toe to toe with the aggressor and even raise the stakes, as was the case in that match. Or the case with all the Iran-Bahrain matches in Asia or some of the Iran-Korea matches in recent times. So in short, our players are not easily intimidated and would never shy away from getting down and dirty with a team that likes that kind of tactics.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You are changing the subject completely, no one was talking about dirty tactics.

upload_2017-11-28_11-35-13.png

A lot of bluster from the Iranian posters for a team that has never gotten out of the group stages of a World Cup. Teams like Germany and Australia could not manhandle Uruguay, but you Iranians are certain you will, LOL.

22. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You have some severe tunnel vision reading posts.

How many of us are saying we can beat Uruguay easily? None. We are saying the team wont get flung around like you think they will. We held up against a menacingly physical Nigeria last time and recovered to go 90 with Argentina next game.

You stated that Godin/Vecino will knock them down easily. Just saying its unlikely to happen if Mikel/Emmenike/Musa/Victor Moses/ Garay/Rojo were not manhandling. If Uruguay gets a Saudi/Japan its possible they manhandle them aggressively.

I think it would be a proper match. None of that floppy stuff you see nowadays. Done with the topic

+PL+ repped this.
  23. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This time feels different. We never said we beat S.American teams, I said we are not scared of them and our players can physically handle their pressure and stand their ground. I don't think it is so hard to understand that...

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't know who we can manhandle or not and frankly I do find South American players (despite their limited physique) often pesky and difficult to handle, much less manhandle! In fact, in our recent friendly against Venezuela, there was this little Venezuelan player (I don't recall his name) who gave us the most headache among the players in their squad when he got into the match as a substitute -- and he was practically a midget! (I think he plays his club football in Chile). I don't know if he is a regular player for Venezuela, but it was almost comical how he would get the ball and run around with it and almost use his short stature (coupled with a very pesky and rather audacious attitude) to run at and occasionally passed defenders who were literally twice his size! It really almost reminded me of the circus watching the guy:)

But, to be a bit more serious, while Uruguay do have a reputation for being a rather "dirty" team and we have had some occasion to experience that aspect of their football culture even in a totally meaningless friendly exhibition many years ago, ultimately I doubt any Iranian fan has said or is saying Iran will manhandle them. But equally I am sure we will stand our ground and I frankly don't think Uruguay would be such a terrible match up or opponent for Iran. For a side like Iran who have, indeed, never passed the first round, Uruguay are in the category of pot 2 teams that Iran would welcome compared to some others.

25. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yeferson Soteldo is his name. I first saw him during the U20 World Cup. He’s a lil clown who is supposed to be the next Messi. :laugh:

Iranian Monitor repped this.