Russia 2018 Finalists: International Friendlies (R)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    na I'm glad they will be in pot 4 with us. There isn't any team we could face in pot 3 that is better than Serbia.

As for Serbia they should be happy they wont have to play us. Nigeria is easily better than any pot 3 team like I said earlier.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... I'm a bit Serbian, so well... :) I'm hoping they do well to.

Glad about Uzoho. Could be a miracle new find at goalkeeper position, as the Super Eagles were in big trouble here.

3. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    The best team we can hope to face from pot 3 would be the worst team that thinks they can play an open game with us.

I dont actually think Iran fits that bill because I think you guys would park the bus against us.

4. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Sweden is in pot 3. You think it will be easy to break Swedish defense?
    They just sent 2 world cup greats to home.
    Last times Sweden played world cup:
    Round 16 2006 round 16 2002 3rd place 1994
    In 2002 they went through in a group with england argentina and nigeria by the way.

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    like I said if Sweden thinks they can play an open game with us (something they didn't do against Italy) then I am not worried about them at all.

Their goal against Italy was very lucky a deflection.

6. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    They won't play an open game against Nigeria knowing how fast players can be.
    It is a tactical team more than a technical one. They know their strength. They can hurt teams on set pieces also.

7. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    The Swedish team looks like the Greece from 2014 with more power and one world class player on the wing named Forsberg.
    They are ugly to watch but a pain to play.

8. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    So Russia tied Spain and lost against Argentina only from an off side goal at the 85th right?

We will see if they don't get past group stages lol.

9. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Wait for the draw.

10. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Lol now i am even not scared to say whatever the draws are they will reach round 16. And it is not losses in friendlies against teams they did not take seriously that will change my mind. Russia there in world cup will be tough.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Russia - Spain 3:3

Hungary - Costa Rica 1:0

12. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Now you got Denmark in pot 3 too.

13. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Damn' it! That German equalizer at the very last minute was harsh! :(

Fortunately that was only a friendly. Very good game from the French team tonight. :)

14. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Portugal 1 - 1 United States

15. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Austria-Uruguay: 2-1

16. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    England 0 - 0 Brazil.

Germany 2 - 2 France.

Russia 3 - 3 Spain.

Argentina 2 - 4 Nigeria.

South Korea 1 - 1 Serbia.

Panama 1 - 1 Wales

China 0 - 4 Colombia.

Iceland 1 -
    1 Qatar

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Belgium beat Japan 1:0. But based on the highlights I saw, Japan deserved better and had better chances.

Portugal and the US tied 1:1

18. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    No Japan didn't but their players did drain themselves and because they opted to shoot from distance Migs at least had something to do (as Belgium saw most of the ball he was just standing idly by for most of the game). The stats confirm Belgium were the better team and Lukaku's goal was an absolute sitter. Chances don't come any bigger.

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Lukaku's goal was a sitter, but the highlights I saw didn't show too many other chances for Belgium. Japan, on the other hand, had a few.

20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Even in your vid, Japan had fewer chances, usually poor ones and they need to be on target (the few that were, were easily dealt with). Japan did show great energy though, made themselves hard to break down but that was to be expected from a side managed by Halilhodzic. These sort of games aren't won by big margins. Especially in a friendly when you're experimenting and players are heading into a very busy period (CL football and soon the festive fixtures).

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I know you are a fan of Belgium, but I honestly have not yet been sold. Sure, they are the kind of team that have a slightly better than 50% chance of making the R-16 and might even make the quarterfinals depending on who they face and how the ball rolls. But they can almost as easily fail to advance from the group stage and are not a team I would expect to see beyond the quarterfinal round. While my assessment is not based on these friendly results, these friendly results kind of confirm my preconceptions. Of course, I fully admit I may be wrong and Belgium might end up living up to what I have considered more hype than anything ever since before World Cup 2014,when they were seeded and many teams/fans considered them the kind of seeded team they would have liked in their group.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #122 Iranian Monitor, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    As for the stats, the pertinent ones in my eyes are as follows:

Shots: Belgium 12 Japan 10
    Shots on Target: Belgium 4 Japan 4
    Corners: Belgium 3 Japan 4
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41991276

Considering Belgium were the hosts, and the much higher ranked side, these aren't convincing stats by any means.

Incidentally, to get a comparison of sorts, here are the highlights from Iran v South Korea in Tehran. As hosts, we denied South Korea even a single shot on our goal throughout the 90 minutes (even though they fell behind in the first half) and no chances while we have 4-5 excellent scoring chances besides our goal.

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I don't have to sell you on my team but your personal opinion isn't exactly backed up by the odds Belgium have been given (far from it tbh). If you disike us, that's fine.

PS if you're actually sold on Iran, you must think they're great value, then you really should put some money on them.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They will lose to Spain and Nigeria for sure and fail to qualify from such a group.

25. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I don't share your opinion.
    We will see.