Russia 2018 Finalists: International Friendlies (R)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Iranian Monitor, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Pascal F

Pascal F Member

May 30, 2018
    What's wrong with Korea this year bro? Such poor results, they couldn't even beat lowly Bolivia B

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The overall trend of results for AFC teams isn't encouraging, although Australia have done very well after their loss to Norway. At the moment, while I hold out hope for Iran still, Australia appear the best hope for the AFC to do anything in this tournament.

3. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Only 3 friendlies left

Belgium - Costa Rica
    Japan - Paraguay
    Poland - Lithuania

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    South Korea has been sucking for years now.. They're not the same team they used to be..

5. DHMGKorea

DHMGKorea Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Oct 11, 2016
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We lost a lot of key players to injury in the two months leading up to the WC, but other than that our manager is questionable still, using players that no one understands why they are even in the squad to leaving out players who should have been called and utilizing formations that don't work for us right now. He's been making excuses about Bolivia and Senegal saying they were a "trick" saying that he doesn't want his plans to get out to Sweden or Mexico since they are already better than us.

All Koreans want right now is for the team to play their hearts out not necessarily win since we know it's highly unlikely haha. But I'll still be in Russia cheering for them.

We have to go back to the mentality of 2002, where all we relied on good fitness and teamwork rather than skill, but that we only had because Hiddink begged KFA to let the clubs release players for a month before to hold training camp. We need to stop trying to play "pretty" football. Thankfully we have some kids that will be at the 2022 WC that have some potential, hopefully we have a competent manager who can lead us then though.

locoxriver repped this.
  6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Belgium v Costa Rica 4:1

Easy win for Belgium, even though they had fallen behind earlier against the run of play. Belgium looking very good against weaker teams, but they have never shown the same or nearly the same quality against strong opposition.

Interestingly, Tunisia and England also played Costa Rica, who lost to both of them. But neither accomplished as emphatic a win as Belgium, who truly dominated the match pretty much from start to finish. In any case, Belgium's big guns all showed well before they were taken out, with Edin Hazard, De Bruyne, and Lukaku (2 goals and 1 assist) running rough shot against Costa Rica.

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Before the last EUROs Belgium dominated France. The French didn't hold back and even two-footed Mertens. France lost the game despite getting plenty of help from the ref, quite a few poor calls in their favour. Belgium only played one other strong team before EURO 2016, an Italy side managed very well by Conte. Belgium also won that game, beating Italy 3-1. Doesn't mean much, still didn't get past the quarterfinals.

Mifek repped this.
  8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I still hope your nation can get through the group stage. Your national team has been the best performed Asian team over the last three years and they deserve some achievement to back this up. As I'm hoping for my nation to defend the Asian Cup, I would rather you got your achievement in the World Cup with a second round progression rather than an Asian Cup. I'm still hoping we get to play each other in a competitive match soon, we now have a young player in our squad of Iranian descent who wasn't even born when we last played.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  9. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    True, that was 1 year before the tournament. In may 2016 Belgium played crap against Portugal, Norway and Switserland.
    Now its a whole different situation with much better team play and individual efforts.
    In June 2016 kdb was out of shape and tired, Hazard was not in great shape like now, Lukaku was less the player.
    All in all this Belgium is better. BUT the 343 remains a big questions vs big teams..

10. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    True dadash, although that Jan Vertonghen header was onside so 5-1 actually;)
    Like a said this team is much better than 2016 with more fluidity. But I hope we are tactically good to convert to a 4 man defence vs good teams.

Anyways good luck to Iran and Belgium!

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    So you saw I only needed to look back at our previous campaign to challenge his "never" claim with ease. Wilmots was still in charge then and there was, without exaggeration, no plan for how to attack (pretty much depending entirely on improvisation and individual performances, mainly from Hazard).

During the training camp ahead of EURO 2016, like in the past and in the current one, the focus is on the physical aspect in the beginning. Players have to deal with a heavy workload which shows in those friendlies, i.e. heavy, tired legs. During EURO 2016 I wouldn't exactly say Hazard was poor, quite the contrary, but I'd have to agree about Lukaku and KDB. Hazard is in even better form now. ATM he's looking more promising than ahead of the EUROs (our views on Hazard, then and now, probably don't differ much).

Also, we didn't play Portugal in May 2016 but in March, only a week after the deadliest act of terrorism in my country's history. Friendlies are hardly ever memorable and I couldn't care the least about that one.

12. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Japan 4 Paraguay 2

13. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    This is a confusing result. Japan fielded a complete B-team (Kagawa isn't considered a starter anymore) yet they played much better than the A-team in the last 2 games. It is really difficult for me to predict who will start against Colombia!

Mifek repped this.
  14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Paraguay is not as good as Switzerland or Ghana, but yeah probably also a case of older players getting phased out for not being as good anymore.

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Poland 4 Lithuania 0

Friendlies all done. Real deal comming up.

Pipiolo repped this.
  16. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I've posted my World Rankings based on the formula I devised on this forum before. I've calculated a points per game for the pre WC friendlies of all the 32 teams based on my ranking formula. Teams like Colombia, Uruguay, and Argentina only played one friendly, while I believe South Korea played the most with 4. Most other teams played 2-3.

Here are the average points per game from the pre WC friendlies. I guess it could be looked at as a sort of pre WC form.

1. Brazil - 95 points per game
    2. Denmark - 81 points per game
    3. Belgium - 76 points per game
    4. France - 74 points per game
    5. England - 72 points per game
    6. Switzerland - 67 points per game
    7. Spain - 64 points per game
    8. Portugal - 64 points per game
    9. Argentina - 60 points per game
    10. Australia - 59 points per game
    11. Sweden - 59 points per game
    12. Poland - 57 points per game
    13. Peru - 56 points per game
    14. Serbia - 54 points per game
    15. Croatia - 52 points per game
    16. Morocco - 50 points per game
    17. Uruguay - 50 points per game
    18. Colombia - 48 points per game
    19. Tunisia - 47 points per game
    20. Mexico - 40 points per game
    21. Senegal - 39 points per game
    22. Costa Rica - 39 points per game
    23. Japan - 36 points per game
    24. Egypt - 35 points per game
    25. Nigeria - 28 points per game
    26. Iceland - 28 points per game
    27. South Korea - 28 points per game
    28. Russia - 27 points per game
    29. Saudi Arabia - 27 points per game
    30. Germany - 25 points per game
    31. Iran - 24 points per game
    32. Panama - 24 points per game

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The most interesting thing about the Poland-Lithuania friendly was how influential VAR was in the result. The 2nd goal by Poland by was called by VAR after replay showed the ball, bouncing from the cross bar, had crossed the line. And the 4th goal was a penalty (handball) also caught by VAR.

Mifek repped this.
  18. Mifek

Mifek Member

AFC Ajax
    Poland
    Apr 1, 2018
    Warsaw, Poland
    And one goal for Poland was also disallowed thanks to VAR - it was a handball just before Krychowiak scored - so together there were three very important calls made using VAR.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I didn't agree with that penalty call. At first I thought obvious penalty, but on further look the Lithuanian defender simply put his hand up to defend his face. His hands were still in line with his body.