Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Belgium game should give us a strong idea of where each of those teams are at. Difficult to gage at this point considering the competition.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #827 Ashur, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Both teams will be looking to win the group but Belgium could be fielding a weaker team with Lukaku, Hazard and Mertens all being doubts.
    The funny thing is that I believe they can still field a pretty strong team, but if you are missing your whole starting frontline, those are losses that will be felt.
    If all 3 are out, I'd go with the following:
    Courtois
    Meunier. Alderweireld. Kompany. Vertonghen
    Witsel. Dembele
    KDB. Fellaini. Carrasco
    Batshuayi

Kompany is supposed to be back for this one, but if he's not stay with Boyata obviously. As mentioned, this team can get it done but it's a notch below their best, personnel and formation wise.

Meanwhile, Radamel makes it 2-0 for Columbia. Nice to see him scoring.

Stick a fork in Poland, they're done. Cuadrado, 3-0.

3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's been a fun WC so far, but the quality seems low. I think Spain have shown glimpses..but the rest of the so called big teams have shown nothing resembling a solid team.

4. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yerry Mina is an animal

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    This is a farce. Just because the big teams aren’t living up to the hype doesn’t mean quality isn’t there. Croatia, Tunisia, etc. have all shown quality football.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, so good: it's been a good WC so far, where pretty much all the boxes are checked: quality, entertainment, drama and surprises. It's been pretty unpredictable and closer than expected.
    We're set up with fun contests and scenarios going into the last group games.
    Fingers crossed, the quality will continue in the knockout phase. That was precisely the issue 4yrs ago, where the group phase was pretty entertaining, then surprisingly the KO phase turned out to be rather dull and disappointing.
    To each his own I guess, but I've been pretty satisfied so far.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that we're about to go into the final games of the group phase, here is a breakdown of who needs what to get to the round of 16, the permutations for each group.

www.bbc.com/sport/football/44587232

8. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Colombia was fantastic today as well

LA. MAN UNITED, jeff070 and Chaz Striker repped this.
  9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #834 Ashur, Jun 24, 2018
    England fans flying high at the moment: the romance with the national team looks rekindled...for now at least.

Edit: All England fans, few exceptions aside: @Karloski is yet to be convinced... :cool:

10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Who gives a ******** what rugby fans think?

LA. MAN UNITED and Ashur repped this.
  11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the more entertaining World Cups in recent memory for me. It was fun following the US and Costa Rica in 2014, and watching the Brazil thrashing. And South Africa in 2010 was pretty entertaining overall from what I remember.

Hard to really compare different tournaments for me though. Just accept them for what they are and enjoy them individually.

jnielsen and J'can repped this.
  12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ignore him. He's been a bit bitter lately.

13. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Most exciting WC in recent times for sure. Run of final group games will be intriguing.

I am doubtful Ronaldo can keep carrying his team as I don't think the supporting cast is good enough to give me a day off. Portugal could drop points tomorrow. Having said that if they make it to the next round they could go on a run all the way to the quarters. Spain should get to the next round comfortably.

Uruguay should finish top of the group and thus avoid Spain (??)

The world cup really starts tomorrow!!!

Futbol_Head repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #839 Ashur, Jun 24, 2018
    2010 was very much middle of the road for me (not that memorable games and the overall quality on display was not that great). From the US point of view, the Algeria game was awesome, but as we were excited for a repeat of 2002, we went out on a whimper vs Ghana.
    2006 was a very good tournament from start to finish: started strong in the group stage and got better and more exciting in the knockout rounds with lots of fun games. Sucked from the US perspective, but the rest of the tournament made up for it. Last tournament where I was in person and being there always makes it better from my experience.
    2002 was very much meh also: Brazil (and Ronaldo) winning it and therefore sealing his status as one of the true ATGs was great, but overall, not a good tournament. The US's run and watching how the madness built up Stateside as the tournament was going on was awesome. It's the first time I felt the US going truly football crazy and it was beautiful to experience. Will never forget the crescendo of the 1/4 final vs Germany. Met up in a pub with a group of friends, ready to go to work right after and the place was going mad that morning (which never happened for a US game). The way we lost was disappointing, but you had the feeling that year that the US finally "got it" (and that made it all worth it).
    1998 was a good tournament as well, with plenty of good football and the atmosphere in France was mad as well. There were some pretty memorable games in each of the knockout rounds too: some top shelf stuff. The less said about the US there, the better that year...
    1994 was here and that of course made it a big deal: great atmosphere, some good games, but the overall quality was ok, that's it. Brazil winning was great, but that was a pretty dour final, if we're being honest. That's when US football really entered my consciousness and we did a pretty good job: beating Columbia was great and we fought with Brazil all the way, falling to a respectable 1-0.
    1982 was the first WC I've watched (as a 7yr old) and that's when I fell in love with Brazil (with their truly sick team that year). Was deeply upset too when they got eliminated by Italy. Some excellent, excellent games as the competition progressed too (France vs West Germany in the semis is a classic among classics).
    1986 is the year of Maradona, matches in the middle of the night in Europe (could not stay up and watch them so had to videotape them and watch them the next day). Belgium's semi final run was the obvious highlight, after beating the USSR (which looked unbeatable in the group stage) and Spain afterwards, before falling to Maradona's genius.
    1990 was a good tournament as well for the most part, until the final which was pretty bad (because of the atrocious football from Argentina). Belgium's defeat to England in the Round of 16 was hard to take but England end up having a great run themselves that was pretty fun (who knows what could have happen, if they had beat Germany on Pks that year).
    Well that was a fun stroll down memory lane... Many people claim they don't like the WC, for a host of reasons (some I will admit have some validation to them), but I have been and still to this day, am a WC mark. It's always a fun time for the most part, in one way or another, at the moment and looking back is always when I can truly pass an honest (as much as possible at least) judgment of the tournament.
    Had my doubts about a tournament in Russia for any reasons, but it's off to a good start though, as previously mentioned. Long may it continue...

15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    I am Colombia all the way. Great game today. Minimum a draw against Senegal.

benni... repped this.
  16. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Senegal is dangerously exciting! that should be a great game. i don't believe anyone what to play either of these two teams right now but Colombia has to be careful here.

17. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Agreed.

I had Poland and Colombia qualifying then I saw Senegal's lineup. A draw for Colombia with the goal difference to their advantage should get them through. I do not see Japan beating Poland.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had Poland and Colombia going thru in that group, but I like what I've seen from Senegal and hope they will make it along with Colombia.
    Both teams in that group will get Belgium and England in the round of 16 and I'm curious to see how things shape out in both groups and which matchups we'll end up with.
    My bracket is pretty much busted for the round of 16 ties, but I like it, because things appear less straightforward and predictable than they originally appeared to be. The group stage so far has made things very interesting going forward.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James had the goal of the tournament in 2014 and will likely have the assist of the tournament in 2018. The pass to Cuadrado was fcking sinister.

benni..., jeff070 and J'can repped this.
  20. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all ********ed up. Gotta roll with the squads that dance, I chose Senegal and Colombia to go through. My predictions looking good, apart from a royal ******** up choosing Egypt over Russia.

Iran to snatch a win vs Portugal tomorrow. It's written in the stars.

benni... and jeff070 repped this.
  21. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    That's the problems with sports these days. People think the big teams should always win or be spectacular. People must remember even the so called big Spain was once on the same underachieving level as England in major tournaments before their recent success.

Football has changed and the lesser nations have improved in leap and bpunds

22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IIRC 1994 is widely regarded as the last high quality tournament in terms of overall quality of teams involved

2002 was a disgrace, and 2006 also extremely weak

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Definitely the small teams are much more organised - especially defensively. No doubt they have improved hugely.

But overall the quality of games is much lower than the old days with a smaller draw - especially since many of the traditional euro sides are weak as feck e.g. holland & italy and the eastern teams

In NZ's group in 1982 we faced Brazil, Scotland and the USSR

And those were the days when Scotland had awesome players

That kind of overall quality is not there anymore

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli