Russell Latapy

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by truetrini, Sep 4, 2005.

1. truetrini

truetrini New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Virginia
    A footballer died and went to heaven....up there he saw mickey trotman he saw shorty malcom and cargill from jamaica and then he saw latapy.....so he said" i did not know latapy died....and then St. Peter said to him.

ssshhh that is God ...he likes to dress up and pretend he is Latapy"

Did you guys see his mazy runs and the goal he scored against a hapless Guatemalan defense?

AMAZING!

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He looked pretty good on the highlights I saw.

You guys need to clone him, because I don't see any other players like that coming out of the country, and he ain't getting any younger!

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    excellent goal, pretty good play

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    IMO Latapy's the best midfielder if not player to come out of concacaf in the last 20 years. Some people will disagree no doubt, but when you look at what he did when he was at Porto and what he did for the national team when not surrounded by equal talents he just stands out.

5. truetrini

truetrini New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Virginia
    Absolutely true.

He is truely the Little Magician

6. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    RUSSELL LATAPY...The Little Magician....

The Best Footballer to come out of CONCACAF in 20 years, no arguments here sir!

At 37 years of age, he turned it on last night, he was bloody BRILLIANT!

T&T beat perennial superpowers of CONCACAF 2-1, in a critical MUST WIN game to keep alive our qualification chase for Germany and WC2006!!!

Hats off to Latapy who since his return to the national team fold for the Guatemala qualifier has been our best player, John has 5 goals, but has missed countless others!

In those 4 games since T&T has lost just once beating Guatemala, Panama and Mexico!

Latapy has given our nation another crack at the WC finals much like he and Dwight Yorke had 16 years ago in 1989 (when this chap was just a boy and now i can only dream of being 20 and seeing my country at a WC finals!!!

7. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's good, but Claudio Reyna is still the most concacaf midfielder. Latapy has never played for the quality of clubs that Reyna has. Nor has he been as highly rated by European pundits.

8. Filho

Filho New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Not true at all. Reyna is very good but they are two different players. Reyna is more of an organizer, complete midfielder while Latapy is a more creative attacking midfielder. Plus I get the feeling you are pretty ignorant of his acheivements. Latapy was a starter for FC Porto and played in the UEFA Cup and Champion's league with them at his peak. Also won domestic honors while at Porto. Better than playing at Man City or even Rangers in my opinion.

9. Filho

Filho New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Too true. He is our Maradona/Pele/Cruyff/Beckenbauer. Not saying he's as good as these guys were...just his relative status. But if you watched the TnT/Mexico game you would have seen our right side midfielder, Carlos Edwards, give the Mexicans an absolute clinic. I think the Mexican left back is carrying his child now. He is our midfield future

10. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If i recall correctly Russell Latapy while at Hibernian had such a great season in late 1990's or 2000 was voted 37th overall in the world...

Now 37th doesn't seem that high but considering the league he was playing and the fact it was not yet at an Old Firm club, he must have been really great huh!

This man scored a hatrick to beat Norway during their days of the Flo's, Rekdal and company!

Russell has had success wherever he played be it in Portugal or Scotland, and he is still doing a job for Falkirk at the age of 37, Claudio Reyna is pretty good BUT make no mistake anyone who would even venture to rate him higher than 'the little magician' hasn't seen Latas play!

11. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Latapy, when at Hibs, made more of an impact on the SPL than Reyna did at Rangers. Latapy was stunning and was part of a very good and entertaining Hibs side that challenged for the title before fading badly.

Although Latapy didn't make a big impact when he moved to Rangers. I thought he was a bit past it when he went to Falkirk but after a good couple of seasons down in the first division he's back in the SPL and doing a very decent job there again.

I really hope this guy gets to play in the World Cup next year, he really deserves to play on the biggest stage.

12. ScouseBill

ScouseBill New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Make the most of it as it certainly won't last...

Lattapy scored a decent goal to help take Falkirk to the top of the Scottish Premiership...

Clydesdale Bank Premier League Table
    04 August 2007 16:53
    P GD PTS
    1 Falkirk 1 4 3
    2 Rangers 1 3 3
    3 Dundee Utd 1 1 3
    4 Motherwell 1 1 3
    5 Celtic 0 0 0 0
    6 Hearts 0 0 0 0
    7 Hibernian 0 0 0
    8 Kilmarnock 0 0 0
    9 Aberdeen 1 -1 0