News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    For those that don't like FIFA, can you name a sports organization that isn't corrupt to some extent? And would having a league be more powerful than the federation, like the NBA is compared with FIBA, be a good thing for international competitions? Every sport has its scandals, whether its PEDs, match fixing, player safety, violence, bribes, etc. However, FIFA is more organized and proactive than any other sports federation and has turned soccer into a global financial juggernaut that even makes it worth corrupting. While the IOC can hardly give the Olympics away anymore, the World Cup is still highly prized. Add to that the way FIFA has harmonized the country vs club dispute with an international calendar, promoted soccer at all levels through the Women's World Cup, the youth World Cups and other forms of soccer like futsal and beach soccer, and developed the game through GOAL initiatives.

r0adrunner and NaBUru38 repped this.
  2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - **checks into history of local volleyball league** - um, maybe. :D

Absolutely not. For instance, the World Baseball Classic would be a lot bigger if it weren't for MLB's conflict of interest between this tournament and its franchises.

True - the World Cup is as big as it is today thanks to corrupt bastards like Havelange and Blatter.

...doesn't change the fact that they are/were corrupt bastards.

ceezmad repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in how you would like MLB to let the World Baseball Classic change. There's also a Baseball World Cup (unless it stopped recently) that's meaningless because it doesn't include MLB players. The World Baseball Classic has something that's as close to relegation as Americans who don't watch foreign leagues with relegation will ever see. The first two World Baseball Classics did not have qualifying. There are 4 groups of 4. Then they decided that the top 3 in each group are invited back, and the bottom team in each group is relegated to a 4 team group that qualifies 1 team. Since the USA will probably never finish last in their group, many people who watch it don't know the consequences of finishing last. In September 2016, I saw a World Baseball Classic qualifier that was 1-0.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm referring strictly to player availability - several of the best players in the game can't be called up for their respective national teams because their teams won't release them, yet the World Baseball Classic is MLB's own initiative.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The Baseball World Cup was discontinued once IBAF (Baseball governing body) started sanctioning the World Baseball Classic. I don't really care about Baseball but it sounds like the end result is still underwhelming in spite of MLB pocketing the lion's share of revenue (I presume) and IBAF attaching their sanctioning.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    FIFA boss wants to remake the game but Europe wants no part of it:
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soc...rope-wants-no-part-of-it-20190122-p50sxr.html

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said...

Europe (barely) tolerates playing the current CWC like a super cup, with the UCL winner showing up for two games and the prestige of the World Champions badge. They absolutely would rather axe it than agree to expansion. "And what about the ICC?" European clubs agree to it because of what it is: a friendly tournament where they can play at half-pace and run out the scrubs in the second half as they please.

celito repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is why having the tournament every 4 years instead of every summer would be the compromise.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And clearly, UEFA doesn't feel like it. I'd be in favor of getting the Global Nations League going and leaving the CWC as is, but I don't know how much flexibility Infantino has with the consortium's offer...although he himself was talking earlier about potentially going with the expanded CWC now and tabling the Nations League idea...

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like that idea because of how much clubs change quality. The UEFA Champions League winner will probably reach the Quarterfinals in at least 4 of the 6 seasons of the 3 before and 3 after, but that's not true for all confederations. A Liga MX club could qualify for the Concacaf Champions League after not being in any of the previous three tournaments and still be favored against every or almost every club not from Liga MX. Toronto FC went from winning the Supporters' Shield and MLS Cup and losing in penalty kicks in the Champions League Final to being 19th of 23 in 2018. No matter how well an MLS club does one year, that club is more likely to be in the bottom quarter the next year than Barcelona or Real Madrid is to not be in the top quarter.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and any club that qualifies for the CWC 2-3 years early would show up with a completely different squad.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The point is not if people around here like the idea.

It is that Clubs may like the idea because it only happens every 4 years.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United won the 2007-2008 UEFA Champions League and 2008 Club World Cup. They haven't won a Champions League since. Cristiano Ronaldo left in 2009. If Club World Cups were played every four years in World Cup years with enough clubs to include four UEFA Champions League winners if they were different clubs, Manchester United wouldn't have won a hypothetical larger Club World Cup in 2010. The top clubs who could win leagues, domestic cups, and super cups in one season couldn't win as many trophies in a season without a Club World Cup.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You are not understanding my point.
    No one is trying to argue against what you are saying.

There was a point of discussion earlier about the ICC and why Clubs like it every off season and would (conversely) hate having a World Cup like it every summer.

If it is every 4 years the Club teams may have more incentive to buy into it in the Summer. Even if what you are saying is factually true.
    They don't care about that issue. They rather just focus on their European Competitions.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's a fair point, I am just wondering whether clubs actually prefer every 4 years, and if so, why? I mean, we are talking about a tournament that only features champions of the Libertadores, UCL, Africa, CONCACAF, etc. Clubs aren't involved every year as it is [Okay, Madrid won 3 straight so there is a couple of exceptions, but that's very rare].

Generally speaking a club will only be champion once every 4 years max, so they either partake in a short CWC once every 4 years or in an expanded CWC once every 4 years.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @HomietheClown

Conmebol's $0.02: four years is too long, especially with how much things can change, even to the extreme of a Copa Libertadores champion getting relegated a couple years later (definitely possible if you look at a case like Brazil, where four teams go down). They suggested a 12-team annual tournament with the finalists of the Champions League, Europa League, Libertadores, Sudamericana + the continental champ from the other confederations, but FIFA shot it down.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I assume there would be multiple champions from each of the 3 seasons in between. Not just the team from 4 years back or whatever.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, it becomes a joke when talking about the representatives of CONMEBOL. Just looking at the finalists in the Libertadores over the past 4 tournaments, while most of them are "big" clubs that are still good pretty good right now, there are at least a couple that have fallen off the map a bit - Lanus (who finished 21st place last year and are 20th midway through this season) and Indep de Valle (a tiny club now in midtable in the Ecuadorian league).

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    If Infantino gets his way, it will be a quadrennial Club World Cup. The only variable is how many teams. 16, 24 or 32? :rolleyes:

I could see a compromise with UEFA that makes participation optional for the European clubs. With the rumored money involved all the big clubs will show up regardless. Their greed will dictate the appearance and UEFA gets to claim a victory saying they protected their clubs from mandatory participation.

Call me cynical.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    32? lol ! Talk about creating a parallel process with the UCL.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    How can it be parallel if it is played during the summer?

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows, maybe the Germans would stick to their guns like they did in the early years of the Confederations Cup and sit this newfangled CWC out.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Cuz it'll look a lot like the UCL - at least in terms of composition of teams from the quarterfinals onwards. Although I should have written "trying to create a parallel process."

Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The funny thing about all this is that FIFA (and we) are doing mental gymnastics to come up with a tournament format / frequency to find the answer to a question that we already know !!! Which is, what is the the best team in the world ?

When the ICC was created, even with its obvious flaws, you could at least say you were pairing two of the top teams in the world together for a winner take all Final. There was a compelling story there even if the Europeans never seemed to buy into it. I'd say that worked up to the late 90s. A league / tournament has the goal of crowing the best team of the season / tournament. If you already have that answer before hand, what's the point of the competition (other than $) ?

Honestly, I'd leave the tournament as is. If there is interest in it now, meaning money, can it. But perhaps I am too practical.

AlbertCamus repped this.