News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Which parts do you disagree with? National teams play too many games, or FIFA should focus on club teams, or Less useless international dates would be great?

And what/where is the proper thread?

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tangentially worth sharing here, particularly for his comments near the end on Saudi investments via Softbank in other sectors:

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eliminating the Confederations Cup, which is the only thing about national teams in the topic title, would only reduce national team games for 8 teams. I don't know if there's a pre-existing topic for if national team games should be reduced, but it doesn't fit in this topic.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think there are too many int'l dates during the normal football season (i.e. Aug to May), but after May the int'l calendar is a mess! Or at least becoming one.

Athletes need some rest to rejuvenate. Okay... the season could be extended by a few weeks on occasion to play a big int'l tournament that everyone looks forward to. That's great for the sport and players love playing in them. But there are so many mickey-mouse tournaments in the summer that either already exist or seem like they are about to that I can't even keep track of them all. We've gone beyond player fatigue and are entering the viewer-fatigue realm. :thumbsdown:

locoxriver repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is more of a Confederation issue. And what a Confederation votes upon is their business. If they want to have a bunch of Gold Cups or African Cups or whatever then that is what they feel is best for their region.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Or whats best to line their pockets.

I agree though. My criticism wasn't directed at FIFA, it was just a broad complaint. :devilish:

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I see.

And yes, making money is a priority but that is the way it is for most people and organizations.

Plus the benefits are obviously there for smaller Federations in those regions that would say they need to play more International games, not less.

But I am done with that convo. As I stated in a previous post that discussion is for another thread.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The thread is about creating new summer tournaments and expanding existing ones and we're talking about whether there are too many summer tournaments or not.

The discussion seems related to the thread topic to me. :)

NaBUru38 repped this.
  9. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Exactly. Money, money, money, moooneeey! Dis********ingusting!

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if the FIFA Global Nations League comes in to existence - FIFA would pretty much have to obligate all confederations to one championship max per WC cycle.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Specially the non-profit organizations ;)

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Those are the ones you have to really keep an eye on! :D

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It becomes a FIFA issue the moment they (confederations) ask for games/tournaments to be put on the FIFA calendar to guarantee player release with the clubs.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is true.
    But as long as their tournaments are following FIFA rules and regulations then they have no reason to deny them their requests. Because it is their business and their traditions.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So if CONCACAF want to hold an annual Gold Cup you are swell with that?

Clearly there comes a point where FIFA has to deny such requests. Tradition or not.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is a weird hypothetical question. The likelihood of that happening is decreasing immensely due to the CONCACAF Nations League and the Copa America switching to the even years calendar to correlate with the Euro schedule.

Taking it as a hypothetical question I personally would not mind it since I like going to some of the games. and I love International football way more than club football.(But of course it is not going to happen so it is moot.)

17. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Infantino plans to basically sell off everything, including the rights to future football World Cups. FIFA would remain an empty shell.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/fifa-infantino-intrige-skandal-1.4214746

NaBUru38 repped this.
  18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know it would never happen but something I'd really enjoy just because it's a bit different would be if the confederation cup was actually between confederations, I'd love to watch a UEFA all stars vs CONMEBOL all stars. Just an idea FIFA if you are listening. :)

19. Domlare

Domlare New Member

Juventus
    Argentina
    Nov 19, 2018
    I dont think it needs to be any bigger to be honest

20. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have long thought that would be an excellent idea, if time could be found for it in the calendar.

The Potter repped this.
  21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Its why Olympic basketball has glamour you get to see the "Dream Team" pound on everybody. But this would be better it would be competitive. Plus they are not actual teams who have been together long so it would probably be high scoring. I dont follow rugby but apparently the Lions games just have a different feel to them they are supposedly more fun. I dont know if thats true, its just what Ive been told I could be talking bollocks.

22. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Lions matches are very competitive and serious. Its the matches involving the Barbarians that are traditionally a fun game promoting lots of open attacking Rugby.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh ok, O warned you I didnt know what I was talking about. I remeber seeing clips of that amazing Barbarian try, as great as any football team goal I've seen. But I couldn't tell anyone what tje Barbarians are without looking them up.

So why do the Lions lose so often then? Is it because they are not used to playing together?

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that would be pretty cool, but might want to invite some of the other confederations too ;)

Don't see it happening though, I just see it becoming way too political with who gets picked and why, who coaches, etc....

25. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Could be, But they only ever play away from home and they also usually play pretty strong nations when they do. They have an overall losing record, but its not that bad (47-59) and they rarely get beaten badly.

The Potter repped this.