News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  2. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    I agree, even mamic himself with sapina as vice president would have been better choice for fifa leadership than this money money-grubbing crook from original platinis team. football died the moment he was elected and fifa went the path of no return!

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, as smart as they must have been to get to their current standing (favors aside), FIFA execs and Stephen Ross are incredibly obtuse about how the big clubs actually approach summer ball. The whole reason they put up with the ICC is because they get to charge fans cup final prices for friendly kickarounds - they're not looking to fight for a prestigious trophy right as their seasons are just beginning.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This is new:
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/10/23/fifa-annual-club-world-cup-proposal-infantino
    Also...

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm trying to think what kind of "expanded" CWC could be played on an annual basis in July/August.

Twelve clubs in four groups of three with the winner advancing? Four games to win the competition? You could play that in about two weeks. Allocation could be:

- 5 UEFA
    - 2 CONMEBOL
    - 1 CONCACAF
    - 1 AFC
    - 1 CAF
    - 1 OFC
    - 1 Host

For extra greed make it 6 UEFA and make the OFC play their usual "qualifier".

Not thrilled with this but it is probably better than a quadrennial monstrosity.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about 4 UEFA + defending champ (99% of the time, 5 UEFA de facto)?

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Interesting thing to wake up to. The CWC is something I watch from time to time in hopes that I grow to love it. I do think there should be some sort of FIFA "World Champions League". In fact, I've been dreaming this for years.

But now that this proposal is reality, I could see it being a nightmare.

I'd love to see the UCL be pared down a bit, but...money.

8. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each team would have an off day in the Group Stage. If two groups played each day and clubs played every three days (more rest would be ideal), the schedule could be:

Day 1: Groups A and B
    Day 2: Groups C and D
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Groups A and B
    Day 5: Groups C and D
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Groups A and B
    Day 8: Groups C and D
    Day 9: Off
    Day 10: Group A winner vs. Group B winner
    Day 11: Group C winner vs. Group D winner
    Days 12 and 13: Off
    Day 14: Final

For the group with two UEFA teams, they shouldn't play each other first. If they played first and the game had a winner, that club would win the group unless they lost to the third club. If the two UEFA clubs played last, they would want to beat the third club by a lot to win the tiebreaker if they played a draw against the other UEFA club.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    A shady business doesn't yield a bright future.
    How about Infantino finally makes good on his transparency promises instead of constantly dodging the question, and it definitely is dodgy to rush a decision, to spread "buy my crap now" anxiety, to hide who (and why) wants to pay a price well above fair market value (e.g. a team that wins the global NL is promised up to roughly twice the amount of prize money that's put up for winning the World Cup), ...

Paul Calixte repped this.
  12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Infantino's ham-fisted handling of this proposal, we might just have a 2021 Confederations Cup after all! :ROFLMAO: In which case @Bill Archer can expect a deluge of guffaws on my part.

Bill Archer repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so many problems with all of this that one barely knows where to begin. Once FIFA - and by extension, the federations of world football - accepted the premise of the Club World Cup which was almost entirely Chuck Blazer's brainchild since a) nobody else was bright enough to see the possibilities b) nobody else had the organizational skills to make it happen and c) nobody else had the level of raw, unfiltered greed it took to see it through, the world league was always the next logical step.

Infantino has the votes, almost entirely from countries which will never have teams involved in these things who he is blatantly bribing to come along for the ride.

FIFA exists as the framework organization for the world cup. Period. (We'll all be long dead before the WWC actually earns the money that they will be getting paid but the bottom line is that there's so bloody much money floating around that FIFA will continue to raise the utterly unjustified payout without the federations having to take a haircut.

(Also note that all this money going to "the women"is in actuality going to "the federations" who will continue to treat it like the slush fund they've been treating the money from the men's tournament for 50 years. "The women" of the world will see but damned little of it, aside from a very small handful of stars who will make out very well and, consequently, shut the hell up about everything else. Thus demonstrating equality: the men do the same thing - take the money and shut up)

Bottom line, FIFA will continue to use the only weapon they have - "participate in our system or get banned from our tournament" - until the major soccer nations decide enough is enough, refuse to play along anymore and set up an alternative tournament.

Until then, FIFA will continue to take all the players and teams they want,when they want and for whatever reason they want,use them to make vast sums of money and pretend they're doing it for the sport.

FIFA is incapable of change. Infantino is every bit as corrupt as Blatter.

celito and dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, FIFA approved the CAF rescheduling its 2023 AFCON for June/July...which, ok, how would FIFA Global Nations League scheduling work?

1. 2022-23 season - when would the group stage games even be played? March 2022 is presumably reserved for the WC intercontinental playoffs and November is the WC itself. And then, June 2023 would now mean a schedule conflict with the AFCON.

2. 2023-24 season - June 2024 is off the table for the Euros and the Copa América; and scheduling an eight-team FIFA finals in March 2024 might be enough for UEFA to sic a hit squad on Infantino.

15. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Clubs play enough tournaments. FIFA should focus on national teams.

16. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    FIFA should just explode. I hate them! I hate all the FAs that are like "against" but just sit and watch FIFA destroying the game.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    FIFA realizes there is very big money in club football. They want a piece of it. They mainly make money every 4 years from WCs. They tried to do the Confed. Cup but I guess that doesn't have enough interest. A world nations league would be really impractical ... but when has that ever stopped these people.

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this, though: all these jokey ideas are preferable to FIFA finally enacting Blatter's nuclear option of having the World Cup every 2 years. Which I presume they haven't done mainly b/c they don't want that smoke with UEFA or the IOC.

19. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Of course, everyone said "Let's get rid of Sepp, noone could be worse that Sepp".

And here we are.

Believe me, there are a lot of people out there who would be far more effective at destroying the game than FIFA will ever be.

J

20. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am fully aware of that. :D I think I wrote here somewhere that Infantino will bring awful ideas to FIFA when he was elected. He's just sick guy, part of former sick alliance (Platini and Infantino) and can't be a good guy. Just can't.

Sepp was awful, criminal, crook, name him whatever you like, but there was one positive thing - no lunatic ideas like these that we read about today and that come from this clown's head. Turn every competition into 3-team groups! Give each team a bye-day! Qualify four years in advance. OMFG!

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He nearly brought us a 36-team World Cup though...

22. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    What still would have been better than this monstrosity that kicks-off in eight years. :D

23. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    #623 jesta, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    čeferin has annual cash cow called champions league that gets bigger and bigger year after year, he has euro every four years, biggest leagues of the world are in his UEFA zone and he still added nations league on the top of all that. of course world cup is bigger than anything else but in total FIFA obviously feels losing a lot in between the world cups so that they are entering this fierce confrontation with UEFA and ECA in order to get the bigger piece of the cake called world football!

who is better? probably čeferin because infantino is the worst plague that football ever had, he personalizes greed more than anyone else, but I wouldn‘t say anyone should like čeferin because of that. he is just using what comes out of necessity to score points for himself and UEFA.

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Correction: National teams play too many games. FIFA should focus on club teams. Less useless international dates would be great, tbh

SixKick repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Totally disagree.
    But won't argue about it here since this is not the appropriate thread.