News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and BocaFan repped this.
  2. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I was going to suggest that might want to combine the World Cup and the Club World Cup.

But then I realised there are people in this process who are already thinking that.

And then I was sad.

J

Nacional Tijuana and AlbertCamus repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I meant combine the World Cup and Club World Cup into one competition :p

Players playing for both teams could swap jerseys at halftime or something like that...

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  4. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    You might recall that someone on this board effectively suggested this recently - in that teams could "call up" players from countries that hadn't qualified. Wouldn't seem much different from creating a couple of clubs from those countries to fill out a 48 team competition.

Oh no ... I might have suggested that out loud.

J

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Where did they come up with the number 36? It is depressing.

EvanJ repped this.
  6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    No, you can't blame this on the clubs, they're just trying to get theirs. If FIFA wants to make a competing friendly tourney, that's great. Just keep it friendly, the official world title format is fine as is.
    What part of 2nd tier is hard to understand? In what way is the 17th place team more deserving to get a 2nd shot at the world title over #s 2-16?
    The Johnstone's Paint Trophy winners deserve a berth in the UEFA CL, they need added exposure too.

2nd tier winners are still below the entire 1st tier. The cruiserweight champion doesn't deserve a shot at the heavyweight title just because he's a champion, or because his belt needs exposure. There are usually 20 heavyweights who can KO him.

EL Champs got eliminated from the CWC in the UCL Group Stage or even before that. They don't belong anywhere near the world title.

Anyway, thank heavens the crisis has been averted for now. It did seem like Wargames in this thread with the DefCon level rising every page. And sadly, Stockholm Syndrome set into some posters. But, for now, Joshua has realised no one wins with a mickey mouse version of the club world championship. It would be worse than nuclear war, tbh...

unclesox repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It may be fine to you and others and I do sympathize with your point of view.

However I can see the other side of the argument too. FIFA loves money and they think that they can cash in on a tournament like this that is official. Television Networks will pay more money for official matches when compared to friendly matches.

Also, I am sure there were people in 1978 who were saying "Hey, 16 teams is perfect for a World Cup. No need to change anything."

And we all saw what happened after that.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There are still people today that think we should go back to 16 teams.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    I have mentioned this plenty of times in various other threads.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To me those type of people are like the ones who say that they like typewriters over computers.

Sure, there may be some hipsters and senior citizens who truly believe that is true but they are truly in the minority and look kind of stupid.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, pretty much. You'll never get 100% agreement on anything. I mean only about 95% of people agree that the world isn't flat.

When the WC had 16 teams it was really just Europe & South America. Even though some people might have liked the competitiveness of it, they must also admit that it wasn't a World Cup.

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, Homie, the next fight for the world heavyweight championship can be held in a shark tank with a live Great White roaming in there, and I'm sure PPV buys will soar. But the belt shouldn't be on the line for such a publicity stunt. I don't think Ali put his belt on the line when he took on Inoki or Monsoon (assuming he was champ at the time). Publicity stunts don't deserve official status.

In all of this mess, has anyone considered a 3rd alternative to the Conf Cup or bloated CWC... How about giving players the summer off? What's wrong with just having nothing the summer before the WC, letting players get some much needed rest? Has that crossed anyone's mind?

Keep the Conf Cup, market it as a fun warmup tourney to the WC to gain interest. The reason it gets low ratings is because most don't understand what it is. It's all about marketing. If it keeps losing money, then scrap it and leave the summer open. A tourney doesn't have to be held the year before the WC, the time can be used to rest.

There's honestly nothing that can replace it. A friendly club tournament might do, but a bloated CWC will be an unmitigated disaster from top to bottom.

unclesox repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is your opinion.
    I think it can be relatively successful financially and popularity wise.
    At least more than the Confederations.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wonder about the qualification format...

Every 4 years or every year?

15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much the clubs' stance...just that FIFA 1) is too money-hungry to let football go fallow for even one summer for its own good, and 2) looks at clubs like, "Why can't we have them play our tournaments when you're going to run them into the ground in your money-spinning friendlies anyways?"

16. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    except the clubs play the players are more interested in their long term health.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And clubs can give themselves the luxury of sending out scrubs for the second half of friendlies.

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    We can bet on that, then, if the unthinkable unfortunately happens. Hopefully it won't.

Honestly, the NT-club hybrid mentioned upthread would be fun. Clubs won't have to release players, so it'll be up to them to let em rep NT or stay with club. Last 8 WC and CWC teams to participate, 4 4 team groups with top 2 advancing.

So if it was held now, we'd have matchups like Pachuca vs Croatia, Brasil vs Gremio, R Madrid vs England. Why not, if a non-Conf Cup tourney has to be held, then do the NT vs club global challenge.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, that's a unique idea but fact is any of these friendly summer tournaments are simply unwatchable. I mean have you seen these ICC friendlies? I admit when you see the matchups on paper like Milan v Man Utd or Juve v Bayern it is somewhat tempting to tune-in. But I dare anyone to actually watch for over 10 consecutive minutes without changing the channel. It's impossible! :(

Switching Juve v Bayern for Juve v Germany doesn't change the underlying fact that it means nothing. Nor will it make it more likely that teams will field their best players. All it would do is confuse the heck out of people that think the Chicago Fire can compete for the World Cup. In fact, those are the only type of people these ICC-type tournaments appeal to (people from non-footballing countries, with no passports). :cool:

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Judging by the players and attendance at these "International Champions Cup" matches there doesn't seem to be much appetite among clubs and fans alike to have even more games during the summer months.

I know its a WC year, so I checked back on some of the preseason friendlies in 2014 so that we are comparing apples to apples. Madrid fielded plenty of first-choice starters or at least borderline starters in their first ICC match that year held on 26 July. We are 5 days deeper into this summer than that and both Madrid and Barca fielded full B teams yesterday.

The English teams are fielding slightly stronger teams, but not much. The Bayern - Man City ICC match featured no more than about 6 players (between the 2 teams combined) that would be expected to start in these teams first CL match next month. The clubs few this tournament as a total joke. Mourinho basically said as much the other day.

Attendance figures indicate that the feeling is largely mutual. It seems that there are only about 3 or 4 clubs that fans are willing to watch in big numbers, even though it is relatively convenient to do so compared to flying all the way to Europe. They don't care to see B teams of Roma, Dortmund, Spurs or even Juve, Bayern and Man City judging by the numbers.

21. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is what it is I guess.

In a way it's pretty cool that top teams from the major leagues in Europe participate in this thing but yeah when your fielding B or even C teams, it's gonna be a tough draw.

That being said, in the end it's just preseason. People just care far less when the games don't count regardless who is out there.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    From this article:

The FIFA Council meeting is on October 26. If the majority of the proposed funds are really from Saudi Arabia then Infantino would be a fool to bring this up now, given current events.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  23. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    So are you saying you think he WILL bring it up, or that he WON'T bring it up??

J

Thezzaruz repped this.
  24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: he's bringing it up. Have to imagine the stakeholders will want absolute transparency on the consortium investing in these new tournaments.

25. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Of course he does, he is shameless, the worst thing that happened to FIFA.