News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jus2nang

jus2nang Member

Dec 12, 2005
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ah ok; thanks for that. I actually liked that tournament - I think it showed Brazilian football in quite a good light. Vasco destroying Man Utd and Corinthians participating in that exciting game with Real Madrid was good to see.

So that year, how was the IC Cup viewed in comparison to this tournament? Especially since Palmeiras lost to Man Utd but Vasco managed to beat them quite comfortably.

On the whole 'taking the match seriously' issue; if European teams didn't take it seriously and got their arses handed to them, oh well. If you don't win, you can't really say anything.

Apparently Liverpool didn't take their game with Flamengo seriously when Zico tore them apart - well, they got battered.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't have said they didn't take it seriously unless it hadn't been a Brazilian player who was with an European team who said it. I think they wanted to win, but it wasn't really "life or death" for them as it was for Vasco and Corinthians. And I won't take the merit of Vasco and Corinthians because they were very capable squads with great players. There was no huge difference between the top SA and European squads back then as there is today.

If I remember right Vasco didn't really destroy ManU in the actual game play. And the game between Palmeiras an ManU was also even where we had a perfectly good tying goal called back for offsides. In Brazil that tournament is viewed in the same light as the one today.

I really don't know how Liverpool took it in the 80s. But I can say from a fan base perspective, the IC or CWC is a whole lot more important for SA fans than European.

3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...l-bein-sports-watch-all-matches-a8358296.html

The feud between Qatar and Saudi Arabia doesn't appear to be thawing and FIFA are being overly accommodating towards Saudi Arabia. You'd expect FIFA to be less ambivalent about piracy, state-sponsored piracy even, or better yet take a firm stand against it but in fact it's quite the opposite. Push the World Cup expansion forward to 2022, that's child's play, and what's worse I'm confident Infantino is prepared to go to any lengths, including the sale of the World Cup. Still didn't FIFA throw their weight behind Qatar 2022? A bit odd to serve two masters seeing FIFA will have to work with the Qataris (although it's fair to say Infantino only serves the one master, money). FIFA's stance that politics and sport don't mix is made a mockery when they themselves start meddling in the affairs of Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

State-backed clubs, like PSG and Man City, have been denounced, by Barca for example after Neymar left. Yet now the same club that denounces such practices is in favour of a state-backed CWC (and Nations League)? Saudi Arabia ban Barcelona shirts. What a club. No more than a bunch of hypocrites.

@Nico Limmat what are your thoughts? Saudi Arabia, flexing their financial muscle, looking for tools of soft power?

4. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    To be fair (to FIFA in general, rather than the vile Infantino) - it did seem that it was more UEFA, or more correctly, Platini and some of the other Confederations who really got behind Qatar (Blatter was probably as annoyed as anyone when that name came out of the hat).

At least that's my recollection.

J

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Definitely looks like Saudi Arabia have gone after Qatar in the football space. As long as Infantino needs them to deliver votes to the United bid they don't have to fear any repercussions. I am also not convinced the (Saudi funded) expanded CWC and Nations League are off the table - even if the vote has been postponed.

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    @Nico Limmat with regards to your last two posts, have a look at the tweet from BBC's Richard Conway below.

According to the German article (link in tweet) Infantino got cold feet because he had to put his position as FIFA president on the line. As only RM, Barca and City were interested Infantino had sent word through Boban that his expansion plans have been shelved. Both UEFA and Bayern have confirmed that this is the case. A vote of confidence was too risky for Infantino because he lacks support from the people that decide his fate.

PS Infantino is in Qatar now. Patching things up? Pitching the expanded 2022 WC again?

8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    #558 Blondo, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  9. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep - I saw him at the Emir Cup final lol...

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - just imagine, Infantino could bungle this so hard that the Confed Cup ends up surviving :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As long as Infantino remains president this won't go away. I fully expect it to be back on the agenda at the FIFA Council meeting in October. Perhaps with a bit more stakeholder involvement and added transparency. But right now Gianni is going to focus full-time on delivering the 2026 World Cup to the United bid.

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Marca, UEFA have been pressuring Concacaf and the CAF to join them on the anti-CWC expansion campaign, implying that European WC2026 votes could be at stake.

15. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    According to the article the BBC's Richard Conway linked to, the only ones that are in Infantino's corner in a vote of confidence would come from Conmebol and OFC. Infantino has been getting in bed with crooked allies, e.g. OFC president D.Chung, while Conmebol has been a playground for the corrupt and at the center of still-unfolding investigations. Wouldn't be a surprise if UEFA are looking for support in other confeds to oppose Infantino.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This has taken an inevitable turn.

As I mentioned early in this thread, the expanded CWC proposal is in direct competition with the UEFA champions league (at least for the years that its held). No-way UEFA was going to be okay with it (the money offered isn't that good).

17. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    How many federations would support the Club World Cup? Surely less than a dozen.

How many federations would support the FIFA Nations League? Probably most except the Europeans.

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And not b/c of the idea itself - hell, the way it's set up, literally every NT out there would have a reasonable shot at winning an international trophy, whereas only Division A in the UEFA and CONCACAF Nations Leagues has finals - but because of FIFA basically trying to steal it.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe I misunderstood the format of the global NL, but how does 'literally every NT' out there have a decent shot at winning an int'l trophy?

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA's proposal is for seven divisions, with each division having an eight-team finals at the end. So practically every NT on Earth is looking at a continental group stage where they have to finish first among a group of its peers, and then play in finals against teams of similar strength. And if that's too much asking, they could always end up relegated and be the big fish in the small pond in the next division down.

BocaFan repped this.
  21. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    A compromise could be to have Europeans only play the FIFA Nations League finals.

So for exampe the top 4 teams in the UNL Division 1 would qualify to the FNL Division 1 finals, the next 4 teams would qualify to the FNL Division 2 finals, the top 4 teams in the UNL Division 2 teams would qualify to the FNL Division 3 finals, the next 4 teams would qualify to the FNL Division 4 finals, etc.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'd like to keep the current format and have South Africa host.

It's called FOOTBALL and SixKick repped this.
  24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE