Rules of the Mccain/Obama election?

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Microwave, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I made the mistake of looking at the politics forum today but I did learn something of interest. There is a new code. I've noted all the rules of the campaign.

1) To have faux sexism outrage is wrong and dirty politics. Make believe racism is fine though.

It's ok for Obama to say "so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills, you know." Even though "they" never did anything of the sort. It was so bad that Joe Lieberman had to go on the sunday shows and defend Mccain as "not a racist".

and of course even on Bigsoccer they said the Mccain celebrity ads were racist. Showing two white women in an ad about Obama is apparently racist. I have no idea why. Apparently most Americans are just as blind as I am

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...alf_53_see_obama_dollar_bill_comment_that_way

"Sixty-nine percent (69%) of the nation’s voters say they’ve seen news coverage of the McCain campaign commercial that includes images of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton and suggests that Barack Obama is a celebrity just like them. Of those, just 22% say the ad was racist while 63% say it was not.

However, Obama’s comment that his Republican opponent will try to scare people because Obama does not look like all the other presidents on dollar bills was seen as racist by 53%. Thirty-eight percent (38%) disagree."

and of course Obama would NEVER take anything Mccain says out of context. 100 years in Iraq. I mean, obviously Mccain meant that the war will go on for 100 years, right? He didn't mean we would have military bases there. No way would Obama distort what Mccain says, right?

2) It's homophobic to be opposed to gay marriage. Unless you're Barack Obama.

""I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

Here he is dancing around the subject on LOGO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73oZ_pe1MZ8

A gay man was emotionally hurt too.....

http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/2008/08/obamas-gay-marriage-position-i.html
    "I've twice this week expressed my dismay over Barack Obama's comments Saturday in Orange County on gay marriage. He said he believes "marriage is between a man and a woman." For me, it was a throw us under the bus moment and it hurt me deeply."

So in conclusion....Obama agrees more with the people in this forum on gay marriage than he does with the people in the politics forum.

3) He didn't mean anything by the lipstick on a pig remark.

Look I don't think the lipstick comment is a big deal and Mccain is obviously using this for political gain. It IS faux outrage. But let's not pretend Obama didn't mean it. Even people on Air America concede that he did mean it and they thought it was funny. He paused after he said it and the crowd cheered and laughed. The bigsoccer leftist are pretending he didn't mean anything by it but anyone with a brain who heard the clip knows he did.

4) It was outragrous that the Republicans LIED during their convention. Factcheck.Org proved it! Let's go on for pages and pages with our outrage! But ignore that the democrats were exposed by Factcheck.org just a week earlier.

http://www.startribune.com/politics...3aDhUec7PaP3E7_0c:5D:aPc:iUiacyKUnciatkEP7DhU

5) Scare tactics are a Karl Rove/Republican tactic. Dirty politics. Obama is above that.

It's the economy stupid. Of course no one on bigsoccer understands the economy. Neither does Obama and his commercials blaming Bush for the economy are merely scare tactics. The deficit is strictly Bush's doing. No argument there. He has been horrific there. But Obama's claim that the Bush tax cuts are to blame is either ignorance on Obama's part or a scare tactic. Take your pic. Bush's tax cuts were in effect in '05, '06 and the first two fiscal quarters of '07 and the economy was generally strong.....until the housing bubble popped. So was the housing bubble Bush's fault? Of course not, it started before he took office. Here is the number one number you should be concerned with in regards to the economy: THE MISERY INDEX.

See, when Kerry was lying about the mysery index it did cause people to do some fact checking....hey let's see factcheck.org again
    http://www.factcheck.org/kerrys_misery_index_accentuates_the_negative.html

The Misery index (which is unemployment + inflation) is higher when taxes are higher. But nobody told Obama....or bigsoccer leftists.

I'm glad I know the rules now. I can go vote for Obama now. It's gonna be great! Thank you bigsoccer for making things so clear!

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    It's been true since Reagan, and it's true now"

The Left is rife with loathing and contempt.

Reagan is dumb, Bush 1 is out of touch, Bush II is McChimpyHitler, Palin is a book censoring evangelical pig with lipstick.

Of course, when the tables get turned, and Obama is mocked as the Obamessiah and the "community organizer" (picture his slim physique in a Che T-shirt) and a known to be comrade of non-repentant terrorist bomber turned awesome educational grant writer Bill Ayers...well, it's just too too much for them.

They can dish it out but they sure as hell can't take it.

In the end, for the left it comes down to sloganeering. McCain is "4 more years of Bush." Republican tactics are "swiftboating."

To be honest, I really don't care who wins. It's a set of tradeoffs with either candidate, none of which are very appealing.

But it would be immensely entertaining to see McCain win and then watch the left and the Democratic party go completely insanely apoplectic.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Yes, but within a year, the right would be going nuts. Remember, the right used to despise McCain for his stance on immigration. They're kidding themselves now if they don't think that issue won't arise, and they're going to feel completely betrayed when he pushes a plan that involves amnesty.

The Bill Ayers stuff is, frankly, about as stupid an issue as I've ever seen. Two weekends ago, I came across his wife, Bernadine Dohrn, down here in Hyde Park. I didn't meet her, but a friend pointed her out. The friend knows both Ayers and Dohrn and has almost certainly spent more time with them than Obama ever did. I'm not going to pretend that those two are good people or that their subsequent charity absolve them of their association with the repellent Weathermen, but like it or not, they're fixtures in Hyde Park.

Kark, here's the kicker: the friend is a retired professor from Kellogg! :D

(I'm not making that up.)

4. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Bojendyk, I ain't gonna defend Mccain and I think Obama would be slighty less awful than Mccain. Mccain IS using dirty tactics. And there are things about Obama that I admire.

But my point is that Obama's religious cult (aka bigsoccer leftists) completely ignore when Obama engages in dirty politics. When someone countered the lipstick debate by showing Obama did the same thing there were two responses I found interesting

1. It was ok for Obama to bring up alleged racial bias because the Republicans ARE racist. Of course there is no evidence that Mccain has a racist bone in his body.

2. It was not the same because Obama did not make a commercial.

The left are just as ridiculous as the right wingers that they hate.

I'm still considering Bob Barr. He was mediocre in congress but he now is saying the right things and he admits he made some mistakes. I am a vote my conscious type of guy even though I live in what looks to be a battleground state.

5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    There's no question that Obama has thrown a few elbows. But let's not kid ourselves. He's been subjected to some awfully egregious attacks made by opponents. The emails about his supposed secret Muslim faith, his "plan" to bring his dark African relatives over to the country after his election, etc., are at least as nasty and libelous as the emails and whispering campaigns directed against McCain in 2000.

And Palin has been allowed to get away with tremendous bullshit. It would be nice if someone called her on it, but hey, it's been two weeks since her announcement, and her handlers are still too terrified to let her speak without prepared text . . . text, incidentally, that former Bush speechwriter (and vegetarian!) Matthew Scully prepared several weeks before he even knew who would be delivering it.

It's a different subject, but Scully's . . . I'm sorry, "Palin's" and Giuliani's obnoxious, snarky jokes about Obama's community organizing work made me livid. He worked in some incredibly dangerous and hopeless areas of Chicago, working for virtually nothing, right out of college while he was in his early 20s. What was Palin doing in her early 20s? Drifting between community colleges and entering beauty pageants. Ooooooh. Beauty pageants! How honorable!

6. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

but those emails had nothing to do with Mccain. What about the stuff Air America says about Mccain and Bush? Should I hold that against Obama?

7. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I'm in a state that's already in the Obama column, but I'm voting for him just for vanquishing Hillary.

OK, so the Dems get a pass while the GOP is guilty until proven innocent on the racism issue. The tables are turned (and the libs caterwaul over this insufferably) when the Dems are guilty until proven innocent on the patriotism issue. What would you rather be, a bigot or traitor? Take your pick.

Likewise, would you rather be a greedy polluter or soft on murderers?

These stereotypes are the backdrop to any issue, and it cuts both ways. Four years ago it killed Kerry. The Swiftboat thing would have been much less effective against a Republican. Like it or not Bo, that's your lot in life as a lib. The good part is, you can accuse everybody all day long of racism and greed and hating hineyboys.

8. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Yeah but it's a big game to most people and I refuse to play. Rush Limbaugh is trash. Air America is trash. The Bigsoccer politics forum is trash.

9. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    But that's about an ISSUE. Not about a smear.

No, it isn't stupid and here's why.

Barack Obama worked closely with Ayers on efforts at "educational reform" which for Ayers was simply a conduit to get his extreme left wing views propagated through the Local School Counsels, extreme left wing views, by the way, that he lovingly shared with Hugo Chavez not too long ago.

The difference between, say, Daley and Obama was that while Daley can express tolerance for Ayers, when it really counts he wasn't going to let that particular sort of "reform" poison HIS school system.

And of course, when asked directly about his relationship with Ayers, Barry says it's "a guy who lives in my neighborhood" as though he accidentally runs into him from time to time at the deli.

Gimme a break. He held a fund raiser at his house.

In other words, this was a chosen association with a way-out-of-the mainstream extreme leftist designed to achieve specific policy ends. It's fair game.

All Obama would have to say is, "It was bad decision on my part to work closely with this person. It won't happen again." It's actually striking he hasn't thrown Ayers under the bus, the same way he threw Wright, considering how politically convenient it would be.

By the way, next time you see Bernadine, tell here, dig it, I stuck a fork in the belly of a pig I recently roasted, it was wild!!

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Karl, Hyde Park isn't that big. You simply can't be involved with local politics down here without also occasionally dealing with this fella. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if several of the big-wigs at the GSB dealt with Ayers from time to time. And the "fund raiser" consisted of people getting together for coffee at Ayers house in 1995, after which Ayers donated a whopping $200 to Obama's state Senate campaign.

The Woods Fund Board's membership can be found via Google. In addition to Ayers, it includes executives from the radical organizations of Skidmore, Owings, & Merril and UBS.

This was not a "chosen association with a way out-of-the-mainstream organization" any more than Obama's tenure at the U of C indicated sympathy for the far-right views of Anton Scalia or Richard Posner. It's silly guilt-by-association nonsense.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I agree with the comments about talk radio, left and right. You raise some very good points in your initial post. I also understand your comment about the P&CE threads but that is where I disagree. You have to filter out some idiocy on both sides but there is some very good conversation that occurs there. I would also say that there is a real need for more balance there as well.

I've tried to post in Bills forum before and get a dose of what it is like to get shouted down but I don't think simply having echo chambers provides any benefits. I am often worried when reasonable conservative voices give up on the election threads because the entertainment and value come from reasonable differences of opinion.

Bob Barr? Seriously? ;)

12. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

But how much filtering should you have to do? When did you try to post here? Yes there are a few conservatives who act like jackasses and I admit I lost my temper with Bojendyk but overall I think you can be a liberal and post in here. I wish more people like you posted here....and I wish Nicephoras would come back and post too.

As for giving up on the election threads it seems like most of the conservatives have left. There was a really good debator named Colin Garbow (grabow) who doesn't seem to post anymore at all.

Bob Barr.....not a good congressman. No question. But if you listen to his speeches or go to his website, he makes many of the same arguments Ron Paul does and that is my general belief system.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Wow. It looks like it has been about two years since I was here. :D

I share many libertarian ideas but don't go nearly as far as the hard cores. I am skeptical of Bob Barr. I think his true stripes were revealed as a republican congressman and his act now is just a way to revive a dead career.

14. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm... the comments made on his being a community organizer were a direct result of Obama's campaign making public statements questioning whether Sarah Palin had the experience to be president because, after all, she was just the mayor of a small town in Alaska that had lower payroll than Obama's campaign. Completely disregarded that she was Governor of Alaska (and that she was the state's youngest and first female Gov). So they replied in kind talking about Obama's equivelent experience.

That being said, I didn't care at all for Guiliani's speech. Thought it was a terrible speech, and pretty crass. Made me glad he wasn't the republican nominee (not that I'm thrilled with McCain either). I was surprised it was well received by most conservative commentators.

15. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    The harcore libertarians are pretty funny to me. Regulation? Never needed for anything or anyone anywhere for any reason! I've seriously met Libertarians like that. They should just call themselves economic anarchist and be done with it.