Rule-Based Cut at the 2010 Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Casper, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    There will be tons of threads like this over the next few years. I've decided to take an algorithmic approach to the '10 roster, put together in the following way. All field players who will be over 32 (born before '78) are off the list, though I made three exceptions. The holes created are filled by the player with the most recent caps/callups. By not putting in any of my judgment, I'm trying to take an impartial list at the "incumbents" for the '10 team. Obviously as many as eight to ten players on this list will be beaten out. You'll also notice that the rules are different for keepers, but it's not a huge deal. I also add the two injured players (Hejduk and Gibbs) in the pool of 23, making it a 25-man current roster. The point of the exercise is this: before you include someone on your speculative roster, for the purposes of this thread, explicitly say whom they should replace, and why. Example: "Adu has to be there in '10. He's already a better attack-minded M/F than Noonan."

GK (3): Keller and Hahnemann retire, though it's obviously possible one or both will still be playing.

Howard: Incumbent.
    Reis: Got enough recent camps to lay claim to the #4 depth chart spot.
    Cannon: In reality, the third keeper will probably be younger, but if you really want Hartman/Busch/Walker here, or Guzan/Wells on one cap each, enjoy yourself.

Defense (8): Pope, Berhalter, Hejduk, Lewis retire. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Hejduk and Lewis are still playing ball, but maybe not at Nats level.

Onyewu: obviously.
    Gibbs: if he hadn't gotten hurt, might also be "obviously."
    Bocanegra: Has the inside track.
    Conrad: Exception - born in '77. Inside track if he stays in form. Big if.
    Cherundolo: Will be 31 at a young man's position.
    Albright: Ditto Cherundolo.
    Spector: Possible he's the only guy injury knocked off of the roster prior to the original announcement.
    Dunivant: Slight nod over Pearce, because he made the alternates list.

Midfield (8): Reyna retires, Olsen too marginal for an exception. Making age exceptions for O'Brien and Mastroeni.

Mastroeni: Will he still be banned by then?
    O'Brien: A man can dream.
    Beasley: We'll need someone to criticize irrationally.
    Convey: After his third straight Premiership title, will be licking his chops for another go.
    Donovan: After his third straight Champions' League title, will be licking his chops for another go.
    Dempsey: After his third straight Grammy, will be licking his chops for another go.
    Noonan: Only youngish midfielder on the alternates list.
    Carroll: Very debatable, but he got a lot of PT this winter.

Forwards: McBride and Wolff retired. Ching falls on the borderline, leaving Rolfe just on the outside looking in.

Johnson: maybe he'll be good by then.
    Ching: needs to earn spot this all over again, but keeps it by my rules.
    Twellman: wait, he didn't make the team this time around? WTF?
    Casey: more likely an either-or with Ching (or neither), but he was an alternate, has a bunch of caps, and has been in camp a bunch.

Obviously, we'll never bring a team this old. This is not a prediction. But guys who want to play in 2010 need to beat someone on this list out for a spot.

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post.

My observation is that the average age/experience should decrease starting with the oldest at the back and youngest, more aggressive at the front. My guess is that your keepers and defense are a reasonable guess but I'm hoping/praying that some guys like Ngyuen, Zimmerman, Rolfe, Arvizu, etc. will really push for some of those forward spots.

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    1. So much depends upon the system a new coach (assuming it's not Arena) would play. For instance, Arena was very big on wide play, especially overlapping outside backs with quickness or speed. If a new coach plays a 3-man backline, I see no way that Cherundolo is a defender on that side.

2. Frankly, most of the defenders aren't anything to write how about. Maybe Gooch and Spector will improve significantly. Our backline worked hard and was okay. But we gave up the first goal in every match (though against Ghana that was about Reyna, not the backline). I admire the grit of our backline but right now, there are no defenders (though Gooch and Spector could change this statement) that look to be or become international class backliners.

3. I wouldn't be surprised if a Euro-based coach (ie: we hire someone who's background and experience comes from Europe) places a heavy emphasis on naturalized players (much like Austrailia has done with their Croatians). For instance, you could see someone make a big push to get Rossi from ManU to declare for the USA.

4. To be fair, if you go by number of caps over the past 8 years, I don't think John O'Brien would be on the top 5 remaining midfielders would he? The man has hardly any caps.

5. This is a reasonable approach you've taken here. But using a similar formula, one would have projected Brian Maisonueve to be a key player for the USA on the 2002 WC team. Which just goes to show that injury will derail some careers (paging John O'Brien, Mr. O'Brien please pick up the white courtesy phone). And guys who looked to be prominent under some coaches and some systems (wow--that Conor Casey sure gets a lot of time with the Olympic side doesn't he--he's an obvious choice for the NT in 2 years), then disappear under a different administration.

I think so much depends upon who the coach of the team will be. I think the other two wild cards are: the U17 and U20 talent (b/c a coach may decide he is better off bringing in players without experience from the previous regime) and naturalized players (which Arena didn't make a big deal out of but a foreign coach might).

4. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Brian Carroll over Michael Bradley (after he trained with the US before the World Cup)? Maybe I am expecting too much from him, but at 18 he looks to be a starter in Holland next season and I could see him earning a starting role if he reaches his potential.

Also I wonder if someone like Westberg will step up and take a GK spot. Sounds like Keller still plans to give it a shot at 40 though...

5. riles9999

riles9999 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Somerset, NJ
    I agree with adding Arvizu and Nguyen. There's gotta be a couple of superstuds out there that we haven't tapped yet. I mean, look at EJ. He never regained form after his injury, but he was on fire during qualies. Did anyone even know about this kid during the 2002 WC?

I know that Adu gets a bunch of smack thrown his way, but he wasn't even mentioned in the original post (unless I missed it somewhere). Is there no possible way the he can improve his overall game during the next four years to be considered?

6. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    I also think Simek will beat out Albright, but that is just a wild guess.

7. alffy

alffy Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Seattle-ish
    Nice idea, unfortunately it's just dreaming.

First of all, there WILL be a NEW coach, without doubt, and a different coach not only brings a different system/approach, but totally different interpretation of players (didn't Arena say when he took over that there was no guaranteed players, EVERYONE had to earn his position?).

This means previous caps/camps will mean NOTHING. Everything will depend on the interpretation of the new coach regarding players and HIS interpretation of their fit in HIS system.

Who will be on the 2010 roster will have little, if anything, to do with who was on this roster, or who contributed to this WC qualifying.

That's just the way I like it! Keep 'em hungry (Dempsey, anyone?)!

8. GaetjensGhost

GaetjensGhost New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    In the USA

Well I italicized my changes above.

We really need a 6'11" frustrated 260 lb frustrated center to play the last 10 minutes in games we're losing. Someone who is taller than all others and with springs and who is a natural athlete. Start training his ass now....I know we have lots of them available.

9. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    You're roster sucks a****S. I really hope we bring more to the table in 2010 than this.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing personal to the original poster, but that roster ain't that good.

what we need is new blood (players and coaches) and this doesn't address anything. if that's the best we can do in four years, why bother even showing up?

11. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I have no rat's chance in 2010 with your roster, really.

It will be decided by 2008/09, but this is a start from Aug, 2006.

Keep Howard and Hahnemann on the goal. The young kids like Guzan or Westberg can emerge for themself.

Defense--In the center, keep Gibbs, Onyewu, Bocanegra, and Conrad. Add DeMerit in the picture. Keep Cherundolo, Spector in the pool, and look for new faces either from MLS or our 2nd rate Europeans.

Midfield--Keep Donovan, Dempsey, and Convey. Add Clark, Feilhaber, Gaven, Bradley, Kljestan, Grabavoy, Szetela, Mapp, Rolfe, Alvarez, Adu, Nguyen in. Make Rolfe a wing midfielder.

Also check if Ballouchy, Nunez and Rossi still have a chance for US, but probably not.

Forwards--Keep Joshnon. I would also keep two previous failers--Casey and Buddle to see if they can revive their games. Otherwise, add Cooper, Jaqua, and Oacha.

If you check my midfield, Donovan maybe among the LESS skilled players there. By contrast, he is among the MOST skilled players now only behind Reyna.

12. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Just starting with the D as it will be our strength over the next 6-8 years.

You are looking at

Wynn Gooch Gibbs Spector

in the back.

Great back line. Very good size, athelitism, and speed. Tough cb's in Gooch and Gibbs with Wynn and Spector patrolling the flanks. Should be the best we have ever had.

With the backups

Marshall, Boca if he can make it, Demerit, Whitbread, Cherundolo fighting for backup spots.

At the mids

Dempsy, Donovan, Nguyn, Mapp, Convey, Bradley, Gaven, Feihnlieber?

Hopefully Landon will grab the bull by the horns and pickup his game. Convey could be one of the five best wingers in Europe by then if he continues his develope, Nguyn, Bradley and Benny Fein, all have promise and as cream should rise to the top. Clint just needs to get his passport and apartment picked out in Europe. Mapp has game and so does Gaven. No Beasly huh well not until he can learn some ball skills.

The big question mark is Clint, he needs to move to the middle of the field where he can Dominate a game. On the wing he only gets involved 50% of the time he needs to goto the middle where he can be in 75% of all plays.

At forward is where its a wasteland. We have Johnson who didn't look the greatest, Casey who has never broken out, Adu who knows if he will ever grow?, and the Rolfe from Chicago or Gaven up front.

There will be a complete turnover and the team will be alot younger for the next cup.

Goalies god who knows.

13. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I'm really hoping to see some players from the recent U20 and U17 teams who played at the world championships to make a push for the senior team. Arvizu looks like he's loaded with potential. Zimmerman could be very dangerous with proper training. I'd like to see more of Fielhaber. How much time is Lee Ngyuen getting with Young PSV?

I think Westberg goes to the South Africa 2010 as the #2 or #3.

These kids look full of energy and love getting foward.

14. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    That roster is painful to look at. I hope not....... fuc****** hell....

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA

Wynn has a LOT improvment to do. His ball skill is too much a problem to be a Cafu.

Maybe that kid who broken his leg vs. Holland in U-17 WC is a better prospect.

Convey will NOT be top five winger in Europe. Mapp may have a better chance than Convey. You talk about Robben, C. Ronaldo, Cole and Convey has no such potential.

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

If we bring that roster we will lose all 3 group games.

Altidore+Adu will be there
    Lee Nguyen, Villanueva maybe.

Marvell Wynne at right back. Nathan Sturgis and Jonathan Spector in defense. Heath Pearce will be playing 1.Bundesliga or Serie A ball by 2010.

Michael Bradley in midfield.

Hopefully ConnEx (forgot his realname rightnow) at Bolton will break out into the first team and be a factor.

Theres loads im forgetting.

If Albright makes the team in 2010 I will renounce my US citizenship.

17. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well seeing that the team only scored once (not including the Italian gift), that's hardly the defenders' fault is it? If the attacking players aren't putting the ball in the net, of course the defenders are going to be surrendering the first goal -- we only got one goal!!!

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Everyone criticizing my original roster - READ MY POST. It's quite explicitly not a prediction. Reading comprehension would be good here.

19. futbear

futbear Member

Jul 24, 2000
    How old is Brian West ? He can play midfield or forward and his very fast.

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say there is a better than average chance that Boswell we be in our back four in 2010.

And I don't think the strikers we need are even on the list - unless Johnson, Ching, and maybe someone like Eskandarian or Rolfe get over to Europe.

21. futbear

futbear Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I agree that Ching will slip lower in ranking. Rolfe if he continues to grow could be an option. I think West will be just over 30. He did not make this list, I am not sure why since he is alredy considered to be in the pool.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That roster is weak to mediocre in too many areas.

More importantly if hopefully a new coach comes in, I think
    we'll see a serious infusion of new blood.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    These are our most talented central defenders imo.

1. Spector
    2. Gooch
    3. Marshall
    4. Gibbs
    5. Bocanegra

You think Boswell fits into that group?

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee is young, but has seen a few (very few, in one match) minutes with the PSV first-team. Thing is, most folks agree that he's already too good for the Young PSV side, so hopefully he can fight his way up to the first team next season.

The original roster is terrible, but please note that the poster did not claim that it will be the 2010 roster, just that these are the guys *RIGHT NOW* that have to be beaten out for spots. Clearly, that's going to happen.

The good news is that the close to our goal we get, the better the players looks right now-- that's good b/c it takes longer to produce top-flight defenders. The offense in that roster looks terrible, so clearly there's room for young attackers, like Adu, Lee, Arvizu, Altodore, Kirk, Zim, JJ, ConnEx and others to step up and show what they have.

The truth is, the US gets better and better each year. As long as that is happening, it's always going to be fun to watch the new squad develop.