Rui Patricio appreciation

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ---Z---, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fire tempers steel, and in similar fashion going through something like that PK shootout and being decisive really forged him into becoming a better keeper. Or at the very least more assertive.

2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patricio is now linked to Wolfsburg.

Not surprised.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hope he stays at sporting for the rest of his career

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Well let's be fair here. Outside of that goal in the final, Eder had been completely useless. Actually is entire performance in the final was epic, including the header he almost scored off the corner. That being said, Eder was never and will never be a world class player. Patricio has always been a top level keeper. Everyone's hate for this guy was always incredibly unjustified. That's the difference.

5. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Sumol repped this.
  6. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Everton are now the favourites to land him. Apparently Patricio has made it known to BDC that he wants a premiere league move over anything else. Ronald Koeman is the manager there and he's quite known for Portuguese transfers.

7. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup, I will gladly eat a healthy dose of shit after saying before the tournament that Patricio should not start for the NT.

He proved me wrong. He looked so confident as the tournament went along. Like some of you already said, he handled crosses and delivered the ball with confidence in a way that I never seen him do this consistently for the selecão. He had VERY few if not no silly mistakes that I think some of us were waiting to see happen.

Again, thank you Rui Patricio for proving me wrong.

BatatasFritas and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I had the same plate of merda as you did.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  9. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Somehow I also think that this tournament did wonders on him. I think he moved a couple of steps up just by being more confident/assertive.

Wolfsburg would be a bad move for him. The only consistency in Bundesliga that can be found are in clubs like Borussia Dortmund, Bayern München and Bayern Lervekusen. Any other club is susceptible to disappear for long periods of time. Also, Diego Benaglio is a heavy competitor.

Everton is a different story since Stekelenburg is not up to his level. However I'm not sure going to a Liga Europa club is better for his career.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Manchester City made a bid for 7m but Sporting rejected it. They want 16 to 20m.

11. Michael F

Michael F Member

Jun 22, 2016
    United States, NJ
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lmaooo they are looking to replace Joe Hart? I feel like he is the only decent English player right now.

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cash it in! RPAT is gonna get paid.

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Oil rich club bidding 7M for Euro winning GK...

Meanwhile Oblak gets sold for 20M from Benfica for nothing.

joaommx and ---Z--- repped this.
  14. The Dragon Lee

The Dragon Lee New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Rui did a fantastic job. I cried for them to put in Lopes as he is a far more talented Keeper. He proved us wrong. It's nice to see Portugal finding some keepers. Lopes and Jose Sa will be excellent for our future team.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #40 ---Z---, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    it's always the case

Before the tournament no one wanted Patricio and William starting , or Adrien . The only sporting player most people supported was João Mario

By the end of the tournament Fernando santos was starting all four sporting players and we won

2004 - Porto players cagou to Greece
    2016 - sporting players Campeoes

Even Portugal 1966 mostly benfica players starting even soem over sporting players who were league champs cagou to England

Portugal finally won with SPORTING being the main influence

Benfica nothing they are shit yes I know Sanches but Sanches did zero in the semi and final

Fact is Portugal won its first tournament with more players playing from sporting and most the squad (10 out of 14 playing in final) produced in sporting and now everyone is cheering our players being sold.

We are real Campeoes of 2016 and this euro 2016 cup basically also counts as a sporting champions league title

I won't be posting much this season , don't think sporting will have a good season we are paying the price for our success that was stolen

Benfiquistas and portistas always hating on sporting none of them deserved this title

The fpf should store the euro 2016 Henry Delaney trophy in the sporting museum

jec1 repped this.
  16. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

[​IMG]

theFOOTBALLlover and BatatasFritas repped this.
  17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Even the ultras came together to cheer for Portugal during the Euro. This clubismo view is crap. We won the euro, who cares what team the players came from.
    Moral victories are useless. Sumol's post shares my view on moral victories.

eurodad, Crooked and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  18. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Time to go back to the mental hospital.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  19. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Truth be told, you are one of the biggest haters in here. Benfica and Porto fans have cheered on Sporting players playing for Portugal for decades with no issues what so ever. It is the one place that we should pull together. You bring it down to hate. Portugal won ffs, Enjoy it, dont drag it through the mud or make it out to be some BS club thing.
    People are allowed to have opinions on players no matter who they play for. Yes I did not want Rui to start for us. To his credit, he proved me wrong and Im happy for him and for our NT. It was an opinion based on the player and not who he plays for. I dont care who an NT plays for. Hell you opened up a thread to make fun of the striker that scored the biggest goal in Portugal's history. Its an opinion, nothing else. As far as you not posting much this year ? LOL yes you will, you always say that, post less, retiring etc etc and you always come back posting even more than before. You are part of this place, you could not leave even if you truly wanted.
    Post away bud,

vaiamerda and BatatasFritas repped this.
  20. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that didn't take long.

The case of moral victories at the Alvadade must be huge

Sumol and BatatasFritas repped this.
  21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well Sporting did have huge contribution, I even read an article bout the academies influence this tourney and we should be lauded.. They do a great job in development.

I saw a ton of peeps hating in adrien before, now what? Imo... FS is the real hero bc he had the balls to play these young Guns; its that simple. Taking risks.

The youth movement is ridiculous now and the front 6 is already in ignition, add AS up top and were deadly.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  22. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You know who was really shit all tournament? Joao Mario

23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really was though.

Adrien was a beast though, that's for sure

24. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Back to the appreciation of Rui. We all know he made some huge saves, and controlled his area well and didn't make any of the mistakes we worried he would. I just wanted to say, there is one save he made that flew under the radar, vs Poland against Milik. I can't recall if it was late in the game or maybe in extra time, but Milik took a shot of a short cross, didn't make great contact put drove it down to the left of Patricio, but he got down fast and cushioned it with his palm which gave the illusion of a simple save. When you see the replay it was actually a good quick reflex and agile save, but because of no rebound or the ball didn't trickle, I don't think anyone even noticed.

NewLaw83 and eurodad repped this.
  25. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    He was the biggest surprise for me through out the tournament. He was great even coming out grabbing crosses, something most of our keepers in the past had a hard time with. I have never been happier to be proven wrong. Super tournament for him.

NewLaw83 repped this.