Rugby Union internationals [R]

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by OldFanatic, Jun 11, 2004.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no mention of the Rugby Union internationals on FoxSportsWorld tonight? Is everyone caught up in the Euro 2004 (or MLS, or USA world cup qualifier, or the Formula-1 Canadian Grand Prix)? Anyway here's the schedule:

New Zealand vs England
    Saturday June 12, 12:30 AM Pacific, 3:30 AM Eastern LIVE TONIGHT!!!

South Africa vs Ireland
    Saturday June 12, 6 AM Pacific, 9 AM Eastern LIVE

2. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Re: Rugby Union internationals

forgot about this. the 'nz tour' is being show live on FSW, but b/c of its time (3:30am est, usa) i forgot about it. the ireland/SA match is on at 9am, a bit more of a respectable time, but not too much interest for me.

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tivo!!!! :)

4. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC

damn, looks like i should have Tivo'd it- seems like there would have been some good highlights (well for kiwi fans at least)

All Blacks destroy champions
    1. all blacks got 3 trys in the fist half
    2. near capacity crowd of about 38,000
    3. It was Eng's biggest defeat since losing to NZ 64-22 here six years ago

oh, i added the {R} to the subject line for those who DO have tivo ;)

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Haka is one of the most enjoyable event to watch in all of world sports. Great to be able to watch it after such a long time. What a joy!

6. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Anybody know where I can see the Argentina-Wales game? Looked like a great one.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Churchill Cup is taking place this week. The Men's semi-finals are played in Calagry.

NZ Maori 69 USA 31

England "A" 39 Canada 11

The Consolation match and Final are June 19th in Edmonton.

8. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Australia is playing Scotland today (Sun 13 June 2004 @ 3:30 pm AEST - GMT+10) in Melbourne under the closed roof of the Telstra Dome.

Finishes off the 4 UK & Ireland teams' first games in the Southern Hemisphere.

Hopefully AUS will put away Scotland and complete the Southern Hemisphere domination of Northern Hemisphere teams.

:)

Cheers.

Andy T.

9. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    AUS 35-15 Scotland.

It was tougher for AUS than the scores indicate. The Scots were unlucky to be out-muscled in the last 20 minutes of the game.

Andy T.

10. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Wallabies Labour to Victory
    Australia 35 Scotland 15
    A RUSTY Wallabies side has opened up their Test season by retaining the Hopetoun Cup in an unconvincing win over Scotland at the Telstra Dome.

The Australians were expected to demolish the injury ravaged Scots – who have won just one of their last seven Tests – but struggled to hold onto the ball and were surprisingly manhandled by the Scottish defence.

Pumas outlast Wales in a Thriller
    NEW coach Mike Ruddock came face-to-face with the schizophrenic nature of Welsh rugby in the intimidating Estadio Atletico today as Argentina ran out winners in an 11-try opening Test thriller

DoyleG- is that a 7's tournament, of full squad?

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's a full squad tourney.

I made an error on the last post. the Canada-England 'A' result I posted was actually a women's game between full international sides. the real men's game was played today.

Engalnd 'A' won that game 48-23.

The other game in the women's competition say New Zealand blank the USA 36-0

Finals on June 19 in Edmonton.

Women's Consolation: Canada v. USA
    Men's Consolation: Canada v. USA
    Women's Final: England v. New Zealand
    Men's Final: England 'A' v. NZ Maori

12. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, we go through a second round of this again TONIGHT!!!

New Zealand vs. England LIVE 12:30 AM Pacific, 3:30 AM Eastern
    South Africa vs. Ireland LIVE 6 AM Pacific, 9 AM Eastern

Get your TIVO set right this time. There may be a rerun of these, not sure. Also, looks like they're showing a Churchill Cup match USA vs. New Zealand Maori later this week. I don't plan to watch it, so I didn't note the time. If you care, check the FSW schedule.

13. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Finally finished watching both taped matches of last weekend in fast-forward mode. I've got to tell you, if you didn't watch them, you missed some incredibly good football action. Don't get misled by the scoreline of South Africa - Ireland. Until early in second half, it was very close and a great spectacle to watch. Now, off to watching Euro 2004, and catching today's Rugby Union matches later in the day.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Churchill Cup Results

Women's 3rd/4th: USA 29 Canada 10
    Women's Championship: New Zealand 40 England 0

Men's 3rd/4th: Canada 32 USA 29
    Men's Championship: NZ Maori 26 England 'A' 19 (OT)

15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    2 tests
    no trys against us

our foward pack finally got some fire in them
    we no longer have invisible thorne to lead us

with robinson, hayman, gibbes and rush we have the players that do the dirty work

id like to see andrew "the best first five of the last 10 years" merthens start

and carlos shifted to fullback since neither mulianina or evans have convinced at fullback

the rocket man now has 20 tries by his 14th test all before his 21st birthday

16. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the replay of the big World Cup final LIVE of FoxSportsWorld TONIGHT!

Australia vs. England 1:30 AM Pacific, 4:30 AM Eastern

Although, England have hardly played like the World Champions in the 2 test matches against New Zealand All Blacks so far. There will be huge revenge factor for the Wallabies. Let's see is England go 3 defeats in a row.

Other matches for Saturday morning/afternoon: South Africa vs Wales LIVE, and New Zealand vs Argentina on tape delay. Check the FoxSportsWorld website for more info.

17. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Chandu,

Good game all round.

[result]Australia 51 (6 tries) beat England 15 (2 tries) comprehensively[/result]

:p

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there an Ashes series in Rugby Union between these 2 countries like in cricket? Or is the Wallabies - All Blacks a bigger rivalry? (I know there is some Ashes thing in Rugby League - Australia Kangaroos vs Great Britain Lions??. But I don't follow League, so I haven't paid attention to it.)

19. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Chandu,

Yes it's called the Cook Cup (as in Captain Cook), but is just a recent development (2 years old). It's come about as the Southern Hemisphere (AUS, NZ, SA & to some degree ARG) national teams have been too strong for the Northern Hemisphere teams over the past 10 years or so. This particular competition was a device whereby there was at least some competition between AUS & ENG on an annular basis.

In Rugby Union it's not as intense as the "Ashes Series" (of games) in Rugby League (against a combined UK team - the British Lions) or in Cricket (where the "Ashes" were actually first named).

The first touring AUS Cricket team beat the English team in a series of games in England. One person sent an Urn "containing the Ashes of English Cricket" to the MCC (the governing body of English cricket) as an act of condolence & protest. This "Ashes Urn" became the symbol of cricketing supremacy between the two countries and is played for, but never leaves England whatever the result (quite unfairly to AUS as even the America's Cup had to be handed over when lost by the USA). Rugby League then started to use the "Ashes" as a term to do likewise. It's never been quite the same in Rugby Union. Other sports also use the "Ashes" term in AUS v ENG national teams competitions (eg women's Netball; Field Hockey of both genders).

AUS v NZ (eg the annual Bledisloe Cup in Rugby Union) is about the most intense rivalry we have, but both countries love nothing better than beating England at ANYTHING (even tiddly-winks).

You can imagine then what it was like for AUS to beat England 3-1 in football in England last year, in what the English like to now characterise as a "meaningless friendly". AUS doesn't play "meaningless friendlies" in ANY sports at National Team level.

It's a completely different attitude to the rare honour afforded the elite of a sport to play in their AUS national team, at any time, in any game, anywhere in the world. It's with some dismay to all other sports persons in AUS that some of our English-based football "stars" have caught the "English disease" and are selective as to when & where they show up for national team duty. It's the insidious English view of clubs being more important than country, which is quite foreign in AUS but very strong in English football (where most of our NT players ply their trade).

Phew, hope that load of gas-bagging has helped.

20. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, great explanation. Thanks for that, Andy Taus.

21. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The other thing about Australia v England (or NZ v England for that matter) is that it was hard to get a real rivalry, as they hardly ever played.

Until recently England, Scotland, Ireland & Wales only ever toured as the combined British (later & Irish) Lions. So, you only played the home countries once every 4 or so years on a Grand Slam tour.

23. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I thought the British/Irish Lions was a League specific thing. Does such a "Lions" team still exist in Union?

BTW, anyone willing to take a stab at explaining what the New Zealand Barbarians (Baa-Baa's) are all about? Are they a collection of scraps who couldn't make the All Blacks grade?

24. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, the Lions still exist - last toured Australia a couple of years ago. They wear red jerseys (Wales), white shorts (England) and blue socks with green tops (Scotland/Ireland).

The Barbarians games are basically exhibition games. The original Barbarians are the English, but there are also less famous NZ & Aust versions.

Basically they are invitational teams. The organising comittee can invite any one in the world to come and play. Usually a few recently retired players make comebacks, and also a young up & comer is usually picked to get a taste of international football. The games are usually very spectacular and attacking, as noone cares about the result.

Traditionally the English Barbarian match was the last one that a Grand Slam touring team would play at the end of their tour. A coupel of the greatest ever matches were the 1973 (v NZ) and 1984 (v the Grand Slam winning Australians).

One of the interesting 'touches' is that players wear their own clubs socks, which makes for a pretty colourful look at the ruck & scrum.

25. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, can someone explain what's the deal with Radike Samo? I mean, when/how did he become a Wallaby? Isn't he born in Fiji or something, and does he now hold an Australian passport? I know he was playing for the Brumbies. But I didn't think the requirement for being a member for a Super-12 team was a citizenship/residency of that country/locality. For example, Rupeni for Blues who's from Fiji as well.

What are the IRB rulings for how a player can switch from one country to another? Are they regulated somewhat similar to FIFA?

I noticed the camera had zoomed onto Radike when the Australian national anthem was being played. He didn't seem to know the words very well, and was just carrying along. BTW, Radike looks like a great player. I remember some of his flamboyant runs in the Super-12 playoffs carrying the football in 1 hand away from his body. (OK, he didn't display any flamboyant expressions himself, but for an observer it was cool to see.) I think his addition will be very valuable for the Wallabies.