Rubio Rubin thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by comoesa, Nov 14, 2014.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If that is all you got - well...

ironically, if JA had extended with Utrecht, RR might be sitting and chillin' - or might have kicked JA to the bench!

2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i am too dumb to understand..

3. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Alright I did spazz but I just don't like to see guys take up a roster spot when there are better deserving guys not getting looks.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree, but at least Green is a decent prospect with a high ceiling.

The real head scratchers are calling players like Wondo, Beckerman, Beasley or players like Bobby Wood and Jordan Morris who should be so far out of the current picture right now.

Green and Ibarra are not huge head scratchers that they were called up, but they probably need to actually prove something at a decent level before they are called in again.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It happens. No shame.

Namdynamo and The Irish Rover repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #31 The Irish Rover, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Beckerman would be there to provide experience in the centre of midfield, esp. with Jones going back for play-off duty - you don't want an inexperienced CM or CM pairing getting overrun against experienced opposition. I'd expect to to see him and Morales starting or spending at least one half on the field against us.
    Wood, well we two aren't going to agree about him, are we? ;)

Tend to agree with you about the others though. The older guys are well-known quantities, so why call them up for experimental friendlies? Give other fringe players - like Wooten - a look, esp. MLS players.

Morris is just bizzare, unless Klinsi wants to push him to make up his mind on the pro deal the Sounders are allegedly thinking of offering him: Klinsi & Sigi are from the same part of Germany and apparently speak the same dialect of German together when they meet up. Maybe Klinsi knows something about Schmid's thinking?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    After it came out that Klinsmann is pushing American players to Europe who haven't yet signed a professional contract in MLS, I wouldn't rule out these two call ups of Morris being the case of Klinsmann seeing a lot of promise in Morris and trying to advise him to go to Europe instead of signing with Seattle.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin needs to learn how to finish, until then, then we'll where he can help the most.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Wondo, Beckerman, Beasley, etc. aren't out of the picture because Klinsmann is only thinking ahead to Gold Cup 2015. Fans think in 4 year cycles, but Klinsmann and staff have important tournaments they want to win every summer.

If our forward group was healthy we wouldn't see Wondo or Wood. Johannsson and Boyd would take their places. And if Agudelo would ever get his frickin' act together we'd get him in there two. All are certainly more talented than Bobby Wood. Wondo is at least productive in MLS.

Rubin is certainly an option for the 2015 Gold Cup squad. However, he's more likely to be on the 2015 U20 World Cup squad. While we've had guys play in both during the same summer (Michael Bradley I believe was the last), it's unusual. Clubs don't want guys being worked that hard in the "off-season."

Heck our U20 World Cup squad is going to be more exciting to watch than the Gold Cup squad. So much talent there....................and it should be noted that two of our top talents aren't eligible to play in the U20 World Cup: Green and Zelalem. [I'm now 90% convinced Gedion is switching to the US. And that number keeps going up every month he isn't called in by Germany.]

Namdynamo and Martin Fischer repped this.
  10. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #35 JozyBradley, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Is it just me who think Bobby Wood is not totally useless?..

While he's missed a few goal chances, at the least, he's been able to get himself in scoring position, create some chances off the dribble for himself and be dangerous....That is more than enough to continue with the USMNT.

I will also go as far as to say he has a better "striker upside" than Jozy who doesn't get enough shots on goal as a striker......Wood simply needs to learn how to finish and work on other element of his game.

As for Rubin, I also think he could eventually be better than Jozy since these guys are already demonstrating more aggressive movement to get behind defenses than Jozy.

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't look terrible other than not finishing again. So, who knows. I would be a little careful comparing him to JA - at Wood's age, JA had 13 USMNT goals already and three times as many club goals (JA would score more goals in the club season when he was 22 alone than Wood has his entire career).

12. JozyBradley

JozyBradley Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #37 JozyBradley, Nov 18, 2014
    You are right that Jozy had a much better resume at 22 than Wood, but from the small amount of playing time I've seen from Wood and even Rubin, they already look more mobile, elusive, dynamic than Jozy..Their movement are livier........By 2018, I feel we need that type of striker that can pull defenses apart by driving at them with the ball and maybe dribble past their marker...That's something that Jozy doesn't do or can't do consistently.

In this age, "holding up the ball" with back on goal is no longer enough as a striker...I need much more from my starting striker and both Wood and Rubin have a small chance of getting there than a 25 year old Jozy.....

13. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 Likes
    0 Likes
    0 Likes

14. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think He was talking about the time Rubin will/might be with the u20s and u23s.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, to be an excellent finisher you have to be born with it. Some of the best fullbacks were at one time strikers that could only score 1 in every 20 tries. Wood may be one of them.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Bobby Wood is a bench player on a team in the relegation zone of Bundesliga II that's scored a total of 3 career goals. 1860 Munich fans have all of these jokes about him, because they just think he's awful.

Jozy Altidore is a 25 year old that's currently 5th on our USMNT all-time scoring list and is stalking Brian McBride on that list. Unlike Wood, he actually has a track record of goal-scoring at a good level. You can't sneeze at his goal-scoring record in the eredevisie. [Well, you could if we had a group of strikers scoring goals at a higher level than that.] I think at times we're too hard on Jozy because of what's gone on when he's played in the Premier League. Until a forward comes along that actual does something to wrestle appearances away from him, he's still going to start for us.

We don't know yet how good Rubin will be.

Mr Martin and ebbro repped this.
  17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #42 taylor, Nov 18, 2014
    oh ja= jaun agu not jozy alt., lol... yeah maybe. my bad.

well played, sir.
    Always look at the likes and not the facts ...

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #43 LouisZ, Nov 18, 2014
    I would say be a little careful when talking numbers too. Here is Jozy's breakdown...

upload_2014-11-18_9-30-7.png

It would seem that Jozy had a good year in 2009 at age 19/20, scoring 6 in 17 appearances but let's take a closer look.

upload_2014-11-18_9-33-33.png

All of his scoring was against very bad teams back in 2009 except for his goal in the confederations cup vs. Spain. Also, he didn't score in any of this friendlies in 2009. Sometimes the numbers don't give a true picture of a player's performance.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It would seem that the majority of our games that actually matter are against CONCACAF teams (Gold Cup 2015, Gold Cup2017, 2018 WCQing). So Jozy having a great track record of scoring against them would seem to be a positive.

Until somebody steps up that actually proves they can score against "better teams," Klinsi is going to continue giving Jozy opportunities.

It could be Rubio Rubin. Who know................................??? All I know is we don't have many forwards "in their primes" that are better than Jozy right now.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  20. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador was pretty unfortunate in the 2010 cycle. They were a competitive team in qualifications. Us was lucky to draw them in El Salvador and they put up quite a fight in the US (we won 2-1).

6 goals in quals put him as one of the top (if not the top) goal scorer of the cycle. I'm not saying he was a super star, merely pointin out people seem quick to discredit him when he does score and quick to bag him when he doesn't.

I read a comment on another site stating that pk goals shouldn't could t as a real goal and that perhaps scoring one should only remove a yellow card from your team. However is wager that fan would boast about LDs scoring record despite the number of pks he had (tangent over :p. )

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think is as much as we don't have many forwards but that our coaching staff don't go beyond the "eye test" that Jozy passes. I remember when Juan Agudelo started out, back then as a 17 year old and he already had a better ball control and better work rate than Jozy in his limited time during friendlies, not sure if it was immaturity or not getting playing time in NY but he fell out of favor with the coaches. Johannsson doesn't pass the eye test even tho the kid has more weapons than Jozy. Boyd is bigger, way better aerial game but is slower than Jozy, he doesn't get his due time with 1st team. In my opinion Jozy came in at the right time in to our National team when his only competition was Davis but soon after he got injured, since then all coaches have been looking for a Davis replacement rather than a Jozy replacement. I guess is hard to look beyond a player that is built like a bull. Imagine us, a top 20/24 world team that has to rely on a forward that can only score when he is served or when his only consistent move is his cut inside and shoot hard on frame. We are not going to move up to the next level until we move away from a single striker and look at playing with two SS, heck, Germany won the WC without a CF, so it can be done.

22. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bacon would have gotten more pt but he picked up an injury leading up to the World Cup and is just now recovering. Hard to say that he warranted more pt that late in the cycle. He'll be back too. Personally I would have liked to see him and jozy paired but given the above.

Boyd struggled for some time and his only quality stints came with te u23s. He'll get more looks as he continues to do well at the club level.

Agudelo started off strong but has only really had one good season as a pro. He has flashes but needs consistency. The lack of a club isn't eloping his case

23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    have no idea why wondo, wood, morales or who ever started above rr and why a college player played. nothing to take away from this game.

24. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    RR missed practices so he was not going to start this game. Wood is a nice player if he can get some first team minutes next year and build on that I think he could be a nice player in our pool of attacking forwards.

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Altidore was pretty pitiful from 2010-2012. Especially considering there were some penalties thrown in there. He turned it around, though.