RSL vs. the Poops errr, the Hoops. pre, pbp, post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Jul 19, 2005.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i do agree that we are not very creative in our attacks and at times we completely lacked the ability to attack, but what i do see is cleaner passing and more a sense where guys are going to be. what i think we need is more of a wing attack, open up the backline of our opponents. our opponents can pretty much expect us to attack up the middle with few crosses so they compact down and prevent us from doing anything. we also need more runners, we seem to only have kreis and sometimes watson. what cila did was perfect. he sprint right up through the massive gap in the defense and caught them asleep. williams was very aware of cila's presence and did his job.

all in all i think it comes down to more of a sixth sense for the players. learning teammates tendencies and actions. knowing where and when to pass the ball to each other, knowing who is going to make a run and who is going to be able to make that through pass. we just cant expect that from our team right now. the lineup is changing every single week and to even expect that from a team who has been together for 5 months is insane. it takes time to develop those bonds and its going to start by fielding a consistent team week in and week out. i think its starting to happen. those set pieces were run perfectly and as a young (as in time spent together) expansion team we have to take advantage of those set pieces. at this point, i think we are going to really start seeing that consistent lineup. atleast in the attack, with mathis, williams, kreis, trembly, cila and with watson and kreamy as a sub. brown is also part of that mix. i think ellinger should just take this guys and force them to work with each other.

ps: mathis' shot should get GOTW. that thing was beautiful. all of the nominees were great this week, but i think a 40 yard rocket like that should come out on top. does anyone have a link to a place i can download that clip?

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :D I was actually referring to your defense :D

3. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    I guess that is a good excuse. ;)

I was half joking anyway. I know not everyone can go to every game. Hey, I have DC United season tickets and I will still missed 3 or 4 home games this year. Luckily I went to a road game to make up for it. :)

4. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with you for the most part, there were a couple of good opportunities. The first that comes to mind is when Andy Williams had a wide open net and tripped in the box. Darn turf... The other is when Andy Williams had Garlick one-on-one and passed to Watson who muffed the shot. Either one of those could've been a goal.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I look at this picture, I keep thinking "I feel like DJ Countess"
    [​IMG]
    :D

6. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    But my hair looks good!

7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    At the game, I thought I was smelling sh!t, but quickly realized I was just smelling Garlick.

......ha...ha......*cough*...

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys did two things that were very important to win this game: marked ROB out of the game by sticking a man-marker on him and took advantage of sloppy set piece defense by Dallas.

That shouldn't be discounted.

But bottom line - you wanted it more. That counts for a lot, esp. at home. Keep that up, and things will continue to improve. Look at it this way - you did better against us than either NE or Metro did during that three game stretch.

9. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it was a sign of good things to come. RSL played with more energy than usual in the first half and were desperate for the win. I just think Dallas wasn't prepared for such a high energy from the start. They picked up the pace in the second half but the game was pretty much over at that point.

I thought a huge piece to our defensive woes was Broome. He played well in the left back spot that's plagued us all season. Hopefully he'll stay healthy.

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul can play when motivated. He's had it a bit tough of late (ever since 2003) - I'm glad to see him getting his legs back underneath him.