RSL vs. the Poops errr, the Hoops. pre, pbp, post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Jul 19, 2005.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well the boys are coming back home. hopefully we get to see more broome, less lookingland. wasnt to impressed with his debut, but i will give the rookie the benefit of the doubt.

we need to stop letting goals get in. im afraid its not going to stop this weekend though. the hoops are probably going to win, i just hope we can give them a good challenge.

we get andy williams back for the match. that will help somewhat, he was playing very hard prior to leaving for GC duty and maybe will help pick up our attacking pace just a bit.

all in all, it should be a good game. its going to be hotter than hell, but im actually getting used to it at this point. current forecast is upper 90's - low 100's with a 30% chance of thunderstorms. a little rain would be nice to cool things down.

a win would go a long ways in raising my spirits after getting in a car wreck and having my car get totalled :( . sadly i just dont see it happening. im going to peg another 3-2 loss. goals by kreis (#98, getting closer) against his former team and in his new home, and watson. maybe just maybe we will get a goal on the north end. if we do, the stadium will explode. i could see us tieing 3-3 and taking a point. that would be good.

OH YA, and theres fireworks post game. hopefully a large crowd comes out, im wishing for numbers similar to 4th of july, 20k+.

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Glad to see that Williams will be back. I'm expecting to see Broome get his first start, too. I could be wrong but I hope not.

Here's to Kries scoring a hattrick!

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we might see Williams play instead of Mathis for this one. Ellinger even alluded to it in his radio interview yesterday.

But yeah this will be a tough one for RSL, no matter who we put in.
    Too bad Pope and Rusty aren't coming to the party.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    4-1 FCD. Two from Fishy, one from Alvarez, and the nail in the coffin from Abe Thompson in slop time. RSL's lone score from, oh I don't know, Kries I guess. Its close for about 15 minutes, and then we slam the door shut. Its bad timing for the Fake Salt Lickers as FCD has given up leads in the last two (and needed added time to beat a USL2 team) and Clarke will be all over them this week in practice. They'll be fired up to show the coach that they aren't going to lay down for anyone. Anyone want a make a bet???

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I think that Taylor Twellman and the New England Revolution are the best team in MLS.

What do you think Tex?

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Grrrrr.....I still think its a dead heat. It took those two last minute goals to win the game, in their house. We were still without Eddie Johnson and Vanney, while they got back everyone but Ralston. Lets see how they do as the second home game in PHP. It ought to be a real hot one in mid August in Texas. We'll see if they can handle the heat of the "oven". I don't think, based on that game, you can say the Revs are a clear #1.....not by a long shot. Dallas was more dangerous for most of the game. One thing we know, however, is that Dallas' vaunted state of not giving up a goal in the final 15 is now blown out of the water. A troubling thing to be sure....something that needs to be dealt with before we get into the late stages of the season.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmfao, rep.

how do you think dallas is going to do on our turf? is it going to be like the LA game with players stubbing their poor little toes and totally shanking shots? i hope so, wouldnt surprise me. also wouldnt surprise me for this dallas team to be overconfident coming in here and while they may be pissed about their recent games, may overlook us a bit.

of course the fish will be flopping, probably a little bit more on our turf since its faster and slicker. some one might want to warn him of turf burn, could hurt a little.

while our defense is bad, i seriously doubt we will give up 4 goals at home. they hunkered down well in the last 45-60 minutes of the KC game. starting broome would be better. i hope kamler can pull his head out of his ass and have a decent game. with akwari--dunseth--kamler--broome, we might be able to hold. better than any lineup with a rookie starter and behncke in it, thats for sure. cant wait for it to be pierce--pope--dunseth--broome. that will be even more solid.

any who, should be a good game. wish it was saturday instead of freaking wednesday.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Sure. I bet $20 that Ruiz gets hacked a few times, toughs it out, and then takes a random mother of all dives that is such a farce it finally gets the league to do something about him and his protege, Grown Ass Diver. :D

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the general concensus that Watson and Kreis are the best 2 up front?

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I know you guys still hold a grudge....heck I would too, probably....but can you point me to one other time this season that EJ has been accussed of diving? Nope? Didn't think so.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pope, red card, RSL's first game in Dallas.
    EJ was even fined for saying he dived after the game.
    Look it up.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides, has EJ even played 5 games since then?

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    One OTHER time, genius. I guess you couldn't tell from my post, but I was inferring that instance when I stated you guys are right to hold a grudge. Damn, I didn't think it was that tough to figure out.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Exactly 5, actually. He got hurt 5 games later in the 5-2 victory over Chivas USA. Still all anyone can point to is one questionable fall against RSL. Let me make this clear for you......one fall doesn't a diver make. I can't think of a single attacking player that hasn't taken at least one questionable fall in their career. I guess they are all "divers" too? Give me a break.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets put it this way, troller.. I mean TexGator, EJ HAS dived in 100% of the games he has played against RSL.

Now do you understand why RSL fans call EJ a diver. I mean really, he was fined and Eddie Freakin Pope get red carded. Pope! He is the model citizen of MLS.
    Shame!
    Personally, this part of the RSL/FCD debate is already boring me. EJ isn't even playing in this game.

16. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As noted, EJ admitted taking the dive when Pope got sent off in Dallas a few months ago. Odd thing about it is that many players have doine the same thing, but it was very unusual that EJ flat out admitted it immediately after the match.

Hopefully RSL can rise to the occasion and finally get a victory, but after conceding 2 very late goals to turn a win into a loss last weekend, FCD is going to be in a nasty mood and this will present a strong challenge to the home squad.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You know, now that I think of it, you guys are right.

Thanks!

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Right....now find me ANOTHER instance, like I've been asking. If we are going to go around and call every player who has ever taken a questionable fall a "diver" then we might as well rename the sport "Diveball".

19. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And I agree, we needn't resurrect this debate....so if you guys will stop referring to him as a diver then we won't have to. But I am going to stand up for one of the most talented and exciting players in the US every freakin' time.

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya it would seem that would be the way to go.

-------------------DJ
    Akwari----Dunseth----Kamler----Broome
    ------------------Cutler
    Brown--------------------------Trembly
    -----------------Williams
    ---------Kreis------------Watson

mathis on for williams, dante(although he hasnt done a single thing since we picked him up) in for watson. i could also see cila possibly coming on for watson. if broome cant go the full 90 which is possible then we might see the rookie come on for him.

i would also think its a safe bet to put money on many of the hoops players flopping all over the field. EVERYONE knows EJ and the fish are divers. everyone except the dallas fans that is.

edit: i strolled over to the rsl.org forums and found todays news:
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600149824,00.html
    FINALLY some news that is good. Pierce expected to play this saturday.

change that backline up above to pierce-dunseth-kamler-broome with akwari as a sub. its starting to get better. just need pope now.

21. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Just against you. Does your mom know your playing on her computer again?

22. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the latest on EJ? Any chance he'll play for FC Pizza Hut this weekend? If not, that sucks as it will be our last chance to see him this year.

I think the diving incident was just a stupid mistake on EJ's part. He's too good a player to be pulling that crap and I think he got that message. (Well, except for that "hefty" fine the league slapped him with...)

23. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Tex,

I know we are trying to stop debating this, but I have to put my two cents in here.

Anyone that admits to diving is a diver. There are no two ways about it. Great player he may be, but diver is in his resume from now on. Flat out.

RSL loses a good match, 3-1 with the 3rd goal by FCD coming very late in the match. RSL's only chance to win this game would be if Pope was playing, which of course he won't be. Andy Williams has been awesome as of late. Hopefully he will assist Kreis or perhaps even net one himself.

GO RSL!

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read my comments, I never once said the EJ was a diver.
    Thanks.
    And I'll use my own words, thank you.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnson is supposed to be ready next month, but I think Coach Clarke is seriously worried about damaging him if he isn't 100%. Arena isn't too keen on EJ starting before he is ready too.

I think FCD wants him ready by Aug. 6 but it might not happen.