RSL vs. DC 8/31-Pre/PBP/Post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by the cup, Aug 25, 2005.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Being the gaffer at a club is a lot different than for your country, especially at the youth level. Sarachin seems to struggle with that shift for awhile with Fire. This is Ellinger's rookie year in the MLS, too.

And what do we do? GO with a new manager? I'm hoping the lack of defensive organization will be fixed as Ellinger figures out the MLS and finds a better mix of players for the midfield.

2. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    FWIW, Akwari was only in the game for 1 of the 5 goals - he tweaked something late in the first half and went out.

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes. That is exactly what we do.

4. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The midfield is the biggest problem with RSL..you all really need to dump Mathis. Use that Salary to bring in a good defensive midfielder and move Andy Williams to the position he should be playing and that's center mid. Andy is no winger and his play tonight proved that. Mathis's play tonight proved he no longer should be an automatic starter and he should no longer be earning an MLS max salary, it's all based on reputation. Tarley looks to be a good pickup if he can time his runs a little better to stay onsides, I think he will figure that out though with MLS expierence. The offseason will be rough, some tough decisions to make, but if I were Ellinger I would dump Pope and Mathis. THat's about half your salary cap that could be spent on younger, more consistent performers. Good luck on catching COlorado for that last playoff spot..your fans deserve it.

5. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yep...allowed Gregorio to get in...we know Cabrera is being molded for that position, but I would like to see Gregorio this weekend instead of Akwari...of course, I think Akwari does a better job in the middle than Dunseth, but I may be the only one...

6. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    My pocket book deserves it...I don't even want to begin thinking about how much time, effort and more importantly MONEY I have spent on RSL...tickets, merchandise, parking tickets,.....the lot of it. If they were winning, I'd have no problem doubling it all, then multiplying it to the power of 6.

7. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It just seemed to me like you were laying blame at Akwari for last night's debacle... I must have misread.

I 50/50 agree with you - yeah, Akwari seems to have better pace and is a strong player back there but Dunseth does one thing very well (even much better than Pope) - he can be physically intimiating on the backline. He will come in hard on headers and give a forearm or two to remind lone forwards that he's there... I just wish he was faster.

8. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I hear you... but, fwiw, the team/club is bigger than the players, the season, or their record.

Yep, it sucks we're losing so much. Yep, it's frustrating shelling out cash.

BUT, You just need to look at it like this for the next couple of years - you are spending money on the future. If RSL keeps attendance up for 2-3 years and continues to be a model franchise... single-entity/MLS will help it put a winning team on the field. MLS is a business first and the organization has done funny things for "business" reasons that don't make sense for "competition" reasons. Landon to LAG, Adu to DCU, Chivas, etc... Sure, it's not fixed or anything, but the league has a vested interest in rewarding the markets that make money and THUS it is in our best interest long-term to help RSL make money.

I say, be patient for 2-3 years, let the franchise get off the ground - but if Checketts & Co. are still putting a team on the field that can't win... they are going to have some serious survival problems.

They don't necessarily have to win trophies but they should put forward some solid teams capable of making the playoffs (which will get harder in 2-3 years when they add 2 more teams to the league).

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will, they will...all teams have their down periods and you're lucky yours is coming when it is expected, not like DC United's multi-year fall from grace after winning three of the first four MLS Cups.

And, for what it's worth, my pocket book shelled out $150 to buy a team autographed RSL away jersey and autographed ball, and I don't even live in SLC.

As you can tell from some of the posts, me and a whole bunch of others are pulling for RSL because it has fans such as you.

10. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed. RSL will get better and the money spent will soon be worth it. Like a few others have mentioned the young guys on the team will grow and contribute. Have patience.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, RSL did help SJ qualify for the Playoffs, so something was accomplished.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest question from last night: which DC player was actually Matt Taylor in disguise?

We seem to have gone the entire season without figuring out how to make the through runs that made DC so dangerous all night. It was fun to watch them, even as I cringed as an RSL fan.

13. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I don't think Akwari likes being a fullback and I don't think it's something he can do in the MLS.

14. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    At the stadium last night, I was very impressed with both Scarlett and Tarley. We played against Scarlett twice in March, and I really think he's upgraded his game. Very active, and--unlike one of the previous posters--I thought his touches were fine. When I watched the game on TV after I got home, I didn't notice him as much. From memory, he made some nice off-the-ball runs that weren't rewarded.

Tarley was having a massive game even before the goal. Seems like the perfect complement to Kreis, and for your team's sake, may you never have to witness Chris Brown ever again trying to impersonate a forward.

Was kind of stunned at how little Mathis moves off the ball these days, and given that you already have Williams (as with our own C. Gomez) who doesn't get back, that really leaves your defenders in a hole. That's the same reason we don't play Freddy and Christian Gomez in the midfield, and Mathis makes Freddy look like Claude Makalele. Is Clint really that much better on free kicks than Kreis and Williams that RSL can cede that degree of work rate?

In any event, I'm guessing that Tarley will hit a few more goals this year. Hopefully, he'll get a couple against New England on Saturday.

15. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Oh did Mathis play last night? ;)

16. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I hear ya!