RSL vs. DC 8/31-Pre/PBP/Post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by the cup, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    There is no emoticon to describe my pain...

I can take a loss, God knows that all RSL fans can take a loss, sure.

But I am getting very sick of the lack of production from our lineup. We have a good team......what's the excuse now?

Holy fvcking sh!t man.

2. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    repped. thanks for the laugh.

3. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    Start the reserves.. they want to play and they want to win..They proved that in their last game...

4. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Certainly not wanting to troll, but just wanted to give props to Tarley. The dude can flat out play.

A bunch of us were arguing that DC should grab him after he had the 4 goals in the open cup against Inter Co, and I hope his arrival brings some success to RSL. Cause, as the other DCU fan stated, there is talent on the field. Cant argue with that. I guess its more about putting it together.

Good luck with the Revs. Someone break Reis' legs.

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    IN the open cup, Tarley had a brace against RSL and 4 against the Rapids.

6. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Query. Whats up with Jaime Watson and Dante Washington? I remember reading something a while back about Watson and he seemed, from the article, to have some fight in him. I also remember him getting into the action very soon after making his appearance. Does he not fit into Ellinger's plans?

As far as Dante is concerned, I know he is getting up there in age but has he played at all?

Thanks for the 411.

Edit to say that I wonder if it might be time to get some of the younger guys like Watson in some senior games soon. Couldn't hurt to get real game experience.

7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Watson is out on a Red. He has had tons of playing time, but does not always keep the coolest of heads. He tends to wear his emotions on his sleeve, which can be good, but also bad (as the Red would suggest...)

Dante is not constistent in my opinion, but can be effective if the planets align.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think it's high time Ellinger admits he has screwed up by stocking the roster with the Bradenton B-List and that it ain't workin' out too well.

D-mid is arguably the most important position in MLS and Kenny Cutler just ain't good enough to get the job done. The goal by Adu was pretty much indicative of the lack of pressure RSL is getting from that spot.

I mean, I went back and counted on Tivo, and Adu had the ball for six seconds and waltzed from midfield to about the 18 with NO pressure. What kind of D-mid lets a guy like Adu have the ball that long and not get stuck in? One that's petrified of being faked out of his jock, that's who, and that's a sign of a D-mid who ain't very good at this job.

I'm sure Cutler is a nice kid and all, but there's a reason he wasn't a full time starter at Clemson, a reason he wasn't picked in the draft at all last year and a reason no other MLS team thought about adding him.

And then there's the bench. Today's bench was all the Bradenton alumnin club: Countess, Trembly, Gregorio, Watson and Cila. Aside from the fact that Ellinger failed to use them all - like Watson couldn't use the experience - the fact that they are all his ex-players pretty much sums up the root of the team's problem, too much of a reliance on people he coached before.

9. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    I didn't get to watch the game tonight--maybe that's better. :(
    I'm distraught!!

10. mikebob

mikebob Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    Wow! Painful loss there guys. The standing around and ball-watching was absolutely unbelievable. It looked like RSL was in awe of DCU, why I cannot even guess. :rolleyes:

Has Mathis lost it all now? Sure, he had a FEW decent feeds to nobody in particular, but the majority of the match saw him just walking around like he had better things to do off the field (kegs, snacks, baywatch reruns). :confused:

Tarley looked pretty good, but he has to get used to the pace of MLS as he lost the ball quite a bit because he thought he had more time. When he did beat DC defenders he had great crosses and very real scoring opportunities. I was rooting for Tarley, by the way. If he can adapt, he will be a great player indeed! :) Hopefully he breaks the curse the rest of the team suffers from and doesn't get the curse himself.

11. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Thanks....

12. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    Watson was on the bench tonight as a sub so not understanding the "watson isout on a red"..He's a rookie and he still has the emotion of wanting to win the game.. Perhaps more of the veterans need this attitude.. Seems like we just had no energy on the field again..that's why we needed Watson and even Cila.

13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sure his suspension was over, I was just letting voyager know where Jamie had been for the last while........

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Whisky_Tango_Foxtrot

Not trolling, I was hoping you guys could hold DC to a point.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least Watson got the plane ride over Cila. So Ellinger must not think that bad of Watson.

As for the match, I guess this is what happens when you have 3-4 new starters in 6 weeks time. No wonder the team ain't gellin'.

We still have 8 more games and 24 possible points. Don't give up yet.

When Craps beat SJ 5-0 or Chivas USA wins 3 in a row, then give up.
    :eek:

16. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill
    IMO, Ellinger and Watson have a good relationship..Ellinger is just hoping that his more experienced veterans can get the team into the play offs.. but of course we haven't seen the veterans step up..I still say play the younger guys who have the desire to win and will give it everything they have..atleast they have more engergy than the ones on the field now (of course there are some expections).. just a thought

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It didn't show in the scoreline, but you guys have a good one there in Nolly. He kept it from being much, much worse.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Cila was there. Funny moment: He went to the bathroom in the first half. As he got to the dugout, I yelled, "They're calling your number over there" He mouthed back, "I wish!".

In the second half he went again... this time we asked him if he was getting ready for Mexico with some Montezuma's revenge.

:D

Sachin

19. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Gregoria looked good and so to did Mathis..... Broome looks to be the only player with any heart on the back line. Aweful.
    And how much longer does the Cutler experiment last at DM?
    And Tarley played well too. At least he can set in on the backline of the defense and cause problems with his pace.

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Nolly did stop alot of those shots, I am perplexed as I have him as a keeper on one of those fantasy team things, and as soon as he produces well or at least really plays he has to try and stop nearly 20 shots? He did well for what he had in front of him. Tarley made me nervous, as did Boswell....as far as scoring for RSL goes. :D

21. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Can someone list the active players worldwide that have played for Ellinger in the past? And then tell me why a decent team cannot be formed from this pool??? My guess is that's not the entire problem.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me list three:
    Adu, Donovan and Beasley.

Nuff said.

23. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anybody feel like releasing all but 3 or 4 people and starting over with this team?

24. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Rant on...

Dear Coaching staff: Sitting on your desk in your office is a neat little machine called a computer (com-pu-ter) which is connected to a wonderful source of information, the internet (in-ter-net). While on the "internet" you can go to a wonderful web-site call MLSNET.com and watch (just like tv) games of your upcoming opponent to learn their tendancies and prepare a game plan (that's when the coaching staff decides on how best to allocate their team's talents to offset the other teams' and to get a "win").

Had someone bothered to scout the DC team, one fact would have become obvious...they attack the ball in the midfield like wolves to fresh meat...vulchers to carrion...zombies to Jennifer Love Hewitt...then they take advantage of the fact that they have won the ball either deep in the middle third or in your defendsive third and go to goal...immediately...1 pass is best, dribbling a player and then passing to one of the 5 of 6 guys crashing to goal is also allowed.

So RSL staff, you have to have a plan on how to get through the 5-"five"-cinco players DC has placed in the midfield whose only goal is to get the ball away from your team immediately. To solve this problem you could have 1) worked with our new fast forward on making diagonal runs to the corners and play long balls; 2) work with our other fast new winger on playing high and knocking balls to the corner; or 3) try to play the ball on the ground in the middle third to 3 aging, not very agile, and somewhat lazy players (I'm not putting Kreis is the lazy category) while only playing 4 midfielders against their 5. We all know which they chose...The good news is, when they brought in Gregario and moved him up to outside mid, our midfield was only outnumbered 5-3 (obviously Williams and Mathis had no interest at all on helping the team defensively) as opposed to the first half when it was 5-2.

Personally, I think Cutler took his red because he was tired of looking bad...who, exactly, was he responsible for covering? He spent the game trying to cover the most dangerous of the 3 unmaked mids coming through, and then got to watch our center backs cover no-one...instead they chose the unique "if we stand in a straight line, maybe they will be stupid enough to run themselves offside" defense. Well, it kept Dunny and Pope from actually having to sprint, so I guess that was good. This just in boys...there is more to a trap than standing in a straight line...you must have ball pressure and you must move as a group to force the forward to have to do more than simply "j" his run by a yard.

RSL coaches, I leave you with this:

[Jason] "Scare 'em"
    [Ellinger] "huh"
    "Scare 'em. They're kids...that's what I'd do"
    [Ellinger throwing shinguards and cleats into the shower]...
    "You lollygag the ball around the midfield...you lollygag the ball in the offensive third...you lollygag pushing up on an offside trap...what does that make you...Jason? [Jason] "Lollygaggers?" [Ellinger] "Lollygaggers..."

[Ellinger] "Our record is 5-15-4...how the he!! did we ever win 5?"
    [Jason] "It's a miracle?"
    [Ellinger] "It's a miracle..."

On a serious note...Mathis was aweful last night. No help defensively and limited offensively. I hope he recognizes soon that no-one wants to spend the $$ we are paying him for a Southern, balding version of Valdarrama in 2006. His job is to create goals, but is not even interested enough to crash to goal. He floats around the middle third hoping for...well, I'm not sure what he is waiting for...other than his rather good service on dead balls (we should have scored on them twice...but Pope was not too interested in actually playing either) he gives the team absolutely nothing.

The good news...our new players look pretty good...

Players who were at least adequate yesterday: Scarlett, Tarley, Gregorio, Broome, Kreis, Nolly, Cutler (he was placed in an impossible situation...Davids would have looked just as bad)
    Players who played lazy and disinterested: Williams, Dunseth, Pope, Mathis
    Player who was out of position and got killed on the back door due to lack of positioning: Ackwari
    Persons responsible for this team have no tactical clue how to handle DC: RSL coaching staff

rant off... ;)

25. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France