RSL vs. DC 8/31-Pre/PBP/Post [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by the cup, Aug 25, 2005.

1. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ok, the Supporter's Shield was never a possibility, the USOC was a memory before it began, and MLS Cup aint gonna happen if we can't even make it to the playoffs which at this point would take a Red Sox type comeback.

We do have a current advantage for the Rocky Mountain Cup but for me the possibility of something greater is on the horizon, beating DC United.

Oh sure, beating LA was a huge victory for our young club, and handing Dallas their heads was fun but that only came after they had beaten us up twice. And Chivas? Well, we split with them which in a way is a defeat.

However, we have yet to face the Evil Empire of the East and for me a victory against them would be bigger than anything else this year. Why do I hate them so? Cocky fans? Yeh, but they have a reason to be cocky. Dirty play? That is a part of it and public enemy #1 Dema Kovalenko is the other part. The leg breaking animal belongs behind bars in my opinion.

The pitch at RFK is about the most holy of grounds as we have here in this country. To walk in to that stadium and hand them a loss, or even a tie and then finish the home and away series here at Rice Eccles, would count as much as actual hardware in my book.

C'mon lads, let's throw our spears into the pitch and play with valiant hearts this Wednesday.

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We must beat DC

:rolleyes: Yeah, sure :p Whatever.
    RSL also faces this at RFK...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT

You guys aren't the only team... :eek:

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

[sarcasm]
    Oh, ya, the boys may as well not bother showing up. They've never played a team with fans in the stadium. That's a new one and down right impossible.
    [/sarcasm]

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

Ha Ha!

6. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis

I thought that was going to go to the Thunder? ;)

7. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, I like RSL but...

REP!

8. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut

If this is a "must win" like the last 3 games, we need to try a different strategy. I vote we call it a "maybe it would be nice to win" game. :D

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree we need to win it, but the bright days of Playoffs are a lofty goal at this point.

Several things have to happen, and not having Cabrera and Pope are NOT one of them.
    Maybe Moreno will still be hurt from the Real Becks and Friends vs. MLS game...

Real question is: Will this match be on TV?

10. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fairly certain it is being picked up by FSN. It was to origainly be played on 7/28 on ESPN2 but was rescheduled so DC United could play a friendly against a European side (Chelsea I believe?). A while later the FSN telecast of the NE Revs match was dropped (only available at that point on MLS Ticket) so they could pick up DC United (possibly with Adu) instead.

11. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or how about "a point would be a nice change" game? I'm not sure what I would do if they actually WON a game on the road or even a point in fair weather. However, I don't think I have to worry. I predict the same-old poor performance on the road on wednesday.

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

true, you guys played in Chicago already hehe

seahawkdad, first pic is from Boston away game not RFK :p

13. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you can do it, it IS pretty fun to beat DC in DC (or Maryland, if you have to). :D

(Okay, enough fun at the expense of the DC folk. Now to be serious for a moment.)

But it isn't real easy.

This will be an interesting game - no Dema because of his second red in as many games, and Bobby Boswell seems to like scoring own goals these days. I wonder if the kid is hitting the rookie wall.

It will be interesting to see how your new players work out. Are they going to be available for this game?

14. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were all eligible for the San Jose game a week ago. Gregorio and Scarlett played but not Cabrera. All three played last wed. against Harbour View. However, I believe Cabrera is away with the Guatemala Nats right now. Last reports were that Tarley would be joining RSL in DC yesterday (Sunday) in preparation for Wednesday's game.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basic lineup for RSL for Wednesday:
    Countess
    Akwari--Knowles/Lookingland?-Dunseth-Broome
    Gregorio
    Williams-Scarlett
    Mathis
    Kreis-Washington

-Yes I think DJ will play over Nolly. Not saying DJ should but I think he will.
    -Pope and Cabrera will be gone for WCQ.
    -Gregorio will start over Cutler
    -Brown and Pierce didn't make the trip from injury
    -I think Ellinger wants to have Washington start over Cila with Tarley coming in as a sub.
    -I have no idea who is playing center back with Dunseth.

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting acquisition in Tarley - it will be interesting to see how he fares in MLS. He may very well be the forward you guys were waiting for all year - if he is as fast as they say he is, then he could very well be the perfect foil for Jason. It worked for Dallas in 99 with Graziani.

17. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

Yeah, but have your boys ever played in a hurricane? We're looking for some massive rain and, er, THUNDER on Wednesday. :eek:

Well, maybe not if they've played in the Home Depot Center or the Meadowlands. But at RFK--as at San Jose, Salt Lake, Chicago--the fans actually have to show up up to be counted in the attendance figs. :D

18. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

Yep, first game of the season vs Metro. Final score 0-0.

19. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

That was actually torrential rain vs the Metros, but close enough....

20. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

and they're not going to actually have a hurricane Wed night.

21. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City

I was there. . . it was like a hurricane, but COLDER. And RSL played a scrappy game.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Down with the squawking turkeys! A couple ok years with some nice runs in the playoffs and they think they're the best of the best.

RSL 3
    DC 0

And they though losing in Anacosta Arena to LA was bad....

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    How's Gregorio doing thus far? I saw him at the MLS Combine a couple years back and was disappointed when he went to Europe instead of coming to MLS. I haven't seen any of your games recently, so I thought I'd ask about him here.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen too much of Gregorio, but he seemed to do well in the SJ and Harbor View games. I think he will take over a wing or d-mid position, if not this week than next.

Also the papers are saying that Nolly should start and that Pope doesn't leave for the WCQ til after the DC match.

25. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Televised????