RSL v Houston 8/5/17. 8pm Kick

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 4, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're all so excited about this one, I can tell.
    I predict we draw, yet again, and (hopefully) finally silence all the randoms that are like "we can make the playoffs!"

News flash: this team has 2 out of their last 9 possible home points.

UPinSLC repped this.
  2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a 3-1 win, mostly because I think revenge is sweet and Petke will be hungry for it.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  3. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston does well at home, but they're stinkin' it up on the road - only one win.

Things are going to kick into high gear for RSL tomorrow night; we're going to start our run to the playoffs with a 4 - 1 thumping, goals by Rusnák, Savarino, Plata and Glad, with two more near-misses from Yura.

You heard it here first.

4. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to stick with my prediction on the other thread but playoffs are still a longshot. In my opinion. But anything else puts a stick in our spokes for any hope of a playoff chance, little as there may be.

5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    There's no hope of playoffs.

Get over it.

Allez RSL, DrownedElf, TheBiff and 2 others repped this.
  6. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're five points below the cutoff line. The mathematical side of me says that's ridiculous to say "no hope."

However, I have personally been "over" the whole playoff question for a good month or two. I enjoy watching the team play. I enjoy seeing the improvements under the new coach. I enjoy analyzing players and strategy. The team gives me a couple hours of entertainment every week. I don't need to sit and pine about the future to enjoy the present match.

Edit: and to those who want to talk about "games in hand," I'll remind you what we said when it went against us the other way: you can't count on points from those. You just can't. If we couldn't then, we can't now.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want Petke to start mixing things up a bit in the lineup. To do this, I think playoffs have to be a complete pipe dream. There seems to be a strong belief within the team and writers that, while difficult, playoffs are something that could happen.

I hate this.

See this thing I wrote on it

Allez RSL, DrownedElf, Ivensor and 2 others repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we're 5 points behind, sure. But Vancouver also has THREE games in hand on us. They're getting points out of those games. Even if just a few, that gap widens A LOT.

9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article, 15.

10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I get the point with Vancouver. But you have Seattle and Portland that are six points ahead of us, and only one game in hand between the two of them. I see Vancouver jumping over them in the standings and one of those two landing at the bottom. I'm not saying playoffs are likely, and I don't really care/think about it that much. But given our strength of schedule, it's not impossible. Unlikely, not impossible.

11. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 andyslc, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Edit: want to say something better without sounding hurt

While I think we may win, I think it would be better for development to lose squashing any chance for playoffs. It's nice to dream, but the question for me is, with more TAM monies in the fold. We must decide what young players we want to use around (if any) player(s) we may gain in the off-season window.

12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Always felt this would be a perfect sponsor for Houston:
    [​IMG]

DrownedElf, andyslc and 15 to 32 repped this.
  13. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pffft. Youse people and your "there is no hope" attitude. Contrary to popular belief, this is not the 2018 pre-season, we are not only going to make the playoffs but make a deep run into them!

Who's with me?

Boz, El-ahrairah, The Franchise and 2 others repped this.
  14. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've been tracking Sportsclubstats.com for several years now, and they tend to be dead on with their odds of making the playoffs. Right now RSL has a 9.9% chance of making the playoffs. That's not zero, but it's low enough that I would totally vote for experimenting and giving young players more chances for the rest of this year.

I've already made peace with the fact that we aren't making the playoffs this year.

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since mathemagically RSL can still make the playoffs, I'm not ready to write the whole season off just yet, even though it doesn't look like we will make them. RSL should have won one if not two of our last two games, but.......the eternal optimist in me (which sometimes wins in fights with the brutal realist in me) says that RSL is undefeated in four games and that should count for something. So, given that statistic, I'm off to my happy place full of kittens, rainbows, unicorns and butterflies.

Speaking of butterflies, did you know what that the word for "butterfly" is in other languages? In French, it's "papillion". In Spanish, it's "mariposa". In Italian, it's "farfalla". And in German, it's "SCHMETTERLING!!!" German, the language of METAL!!!

16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not pining for playoffs, just improvement, and we're getting that. I predict a win that'll disillusion the hopeful among us further when it's followed by losses and ties.

I'll back up J, I mean LBee at 3-1, Red Shirts.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be nice to make the playoffs, but we still haven't shown form that is worthy of it. We probably need to average something like 2 wins, 1 draw the rest of the way. We've started trending that way, but not for long enough that gives me the belief that it will continue.

Sadly, until it's not mathematically possible, the FO will continue to think we'll make the playoffs. Even if we lose a couple the win one, they'll talk about how we're 'just' 7 or 8 points out, and just a few weeks can put us in the playoffs. Sure, those scenarios are possible, just very unlikely in a real world scenario.

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question is.....are you guys ready for VAR?

Ismitje repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm eager to see how they can screw it up.

20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    7th in the West is a pretty great accomplishment given that we quickly outpaced Minnesota for the worst team in history after they dropped Demidov from the game-day roster.

Luckily, DC has made the rest of us look better.

We forfeited season 2017 when DLH decided to keep Cassar on over the off-season.

It's okay guys. I promise. They can't all be good times.

EMBRATSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizzie Bee and The Franchise repped this.
  21. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    3ree points. Nothing less.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It bugs me that the head ref can ignore the VAR result if he chooses. I feel like if you're using something to make calls better, the VAR result should stand no matter what.

That being said, I full expect them to continue to get calls wrong, even when the limited angles we get on TV will show otherwise.

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah. Being a cynic, I absolutely expect there will be aspects to the execution of VAR that will reveal depths of incompetence/conflicts of interest that that most of us never would have otherwise observed.

24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As in Ref A hates Team B and no matter what the VAR says he is awarding the other team a penalty kick for a blatant dive in the box as perfected by the team that used to be called the Wizards.

RSLer repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wingert is back in place of Acosta. Everything else is what we've come to expect the past two ties.