RSL Playoffs 2019 Game #2: Salt Lake at Seattle, Weds. 23 Oct. 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Seattle have officially parked the bus. 6 in the box blocks of 4 when not in possession.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I guess Freddy is waiting for 15min left in order not to give up more goals and push forward, but based on Seattle formation now, I would sub now. They are parked.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defensive sub from Seattle, which I think is a mistake. We need to push, and we're vulnerable as hell.

I like what Everton has done tonight.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    this was a legit question, I don't follow RSL, just found myself in the area from time to time and met some of the guys.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did we not have a player on the near post on that corner?!

Losing my mind with the sub situation. Down a goal and it takes nearly 10 minutes to make a sub...

15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.
  6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Everton has been tremendous. he reminds me of Senna, the guy who gave Spain their first trophy. That guy was so smooth and in control. Plus a deceptively impressive defensive midfielder.

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I don't know man, they put 4 on dallas. Right now the game is 1-0 on a set piece.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the right sub to me (Beckerman off for Bofo).

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . though it sure doesn't look like we adjusted to him being gone. All three defenders played the same angle on the cross, none dropped to the space where Lodeiro was.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    And that is why Freddy kept the subs until the end.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one has been exactly zero fun. We didn't look likely to score once, and barring Nicky standing on his head, we didn't look likely to keep a clean sheet, either.

Red to Everton now.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t understand why Freddy waited so long to make any subs. We came out of the half flat and have been chasing the game. Seattle used all 3 subs before we made a single sub.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn dirty tackle. Not sure he meant it but he was out of control and went in studs showing.

14. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wheels. Off. Bus.

15 to 32 repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that would make this feel okay at the end is if the Sounder supporters chant for Rimando at the end of the game.

Another big save.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  16. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You were saying?

Attached Files:

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton may miss 3-5 games to start the 2020 season. And he'll be fined for not leaving the field in a timely manner.

RSLer repped this.
  18. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    No me gusta Seattle

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One shot on goal.

Zero dangerous chances created.

20. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only reason I'm still watching is to see Rimando finish one last game.
    We need a #9 So bad....

15 to 32, Ismitje and BalanceUT repped this.
  21. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wearing all black to work tomorrow.

22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope whoever is the coach next year gets rid of the conservative nature of our team. No one is willing to take a risk. We just pass the ball around endlessly. No outside shots. No risky through balls. I just want to see us attack better.

UofRSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not for the many soft giveaways in our defensive half and midfield he would have a strong point.

SenordrummeR2 and BalanceUT repped this.
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was fun while it lasted. Now, I can focus on footbal. Go Utes!

In a somewhat related note, Flamengo trouced Gremio 5-0 and goes on to the Copa Liberatores final against River Plate on 23 November. Vai Mengo!!!

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final 15 Game Recap for 2019
    1. I was happy to see Glad back in the starting lineup. I still don't quite understand the Marcelo switch against Portland (it worked, so not much is going to be said about it) and have to wonder how much psychological damage this club has done to Glad in the last 2 years.
    2. The first 15 were weird in that we certainly had the much better possession, but we also made some really bad mistakes and left ourselves open to Seattle. That team didn't finish, somehow, and we eventually settled down.
    3. Minutes 15-45 were all RSL. It felt like watching the 2010/11 team with how flat out dominant we were. Well, at least between the boxes. Once we got 35 yards from goal? We were completely useless.
    4. Which credit needs to be given to Seattle. They conceded the midfield and set an imaginary line of where they would eventually press. It was especially effective against Rusnak and Savarino as those two love to pull defenders out and then use the space behind to create chances.
    5. Which is something that shouldn't surprise this team, especially when we start Kreilach as the 9. The way to beat us is to play a tight line 30-40 yards from goal and keep everything in front of you. There is no concern of a splitting over the top run from our 9 because he's slower than anyone else in the attacking group.
    6. At minute 35 I pretty much stopped watching because it was incredibly apparent how the half was going to end. Unlike the Portland match where we found space behind, we just played pretty soccer between the boxes with nothing on the creative end. It felt like a possession drill, honestly.
    7. And the word on the street of applying pressure to our midfield and backline from the opening whistle of the 2nd half obviously found its way to Seattle. They absolutely destroyed us from minutes 45-70. Unlike us, though, they actually made it dangerous and scored.
    8. I've watched this team do the zonal marking without a near post defender for a bit now and wondered when it would come back to haunt us. The playoffs, man, the playoffs. The portland goal would at least have been contested by a near post man and the Seattle goal would have almost certainly been cleared off the line.
    9. Before that, though, what in the actual ******** is KB doing on that corner? The angle he takes... he does realize that Svenson is there, right? Just god awful from him and I really question why he is the front guy in the zone.
    10. Once that goal went in, the game was over. Our front four were so off that I don't think they would have scored on an empty net from more than 20 yards out.
    11. Which, again, shows why Freddy is not a head coach. He's a hell of an assistant and has shown time and time again that he can prep a team for the first 45 very well. But he is possibly the worst professional coach I've ever seen in how he reacts to adjustments.
    12. To elaborate: it's the playoffs, there is no second game to wait for here, so why is his sub, after we've gone down a goal, to take off our false 9 that can win balls in the air for a guy with speed? Seattle had dropped their line even further back. Taking off the guy who can win headers for speed was playing into Seattle's hand.
    13. Also, Plata as the sub for Baird was so damn scripted and not really what the game needed. Seattle was looking to straight counter from then on. We did not need 4 defenders. Take off Toia and play a 3-2-3-2. Glad/Onuhoa/Herrera can handle the responsibility in the back (and probably would have handled the run by Ruidiaz better on the second goal) and it puts more bodies into spots we were really struggling with finding a way to break down. Then we go down 2 goals and the master plan is to take off KB for Bofo? ******** off with that plan.
    14. Everton's tackle looked like the breaking point of a team that's been on the brink of a meltdown. With all the shit the club is going through, it finally looked like we were snapping. Everton certainly deserves an extra game or two for the tackle alone and then one or two for his antics. Round up to 5 given its the playoffs.
    15. We're now into, IMO, the biggest offseason of this club's history. Even bigger than before we started in 2005. We have to get this one right or else we're going to be paying for it (literally in DLH's case) for years to come. Don't rush into anything. Do a proper search. Find your club vision, find a GM that embodies it, find coaching staffs that can execute it, fix the pyramid to be an actual ********ing pyramid, or else we're going to be one of the worst teams in the league in 2020 and years afterwards... So essentially DONT DO WHAT USSF DID