RSL Playoffs 2014: Los Angeles at Salt Lake, Sat. 1 Nov. 6 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out we're #3 in the West after all, and start the playoffs against perennial postseason foe LA Galaxy, at home in November. Let's go.

Allez RSL repped this.
  2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was quick. :D

I'm kind of hoping FCD wins the play in, then beats Seattle. If we get past LA, I'd rather avoid playing on turf. If it has to be turf, I'd rather it be Portland.

I do think it's kind of funny that whether it was us or FCD in 3rd, we both ended the season at home, so it's home x3 if they get through the play in.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but right now we get a CCL spot with any of four results: we win MLS Cup, Seattle wins MLS Cup, LA wins MLS Cup, or DC wins MLS Cup. I want the first one to happen, but will accept one of the other three as a secondary thing.

scootsy repped this.
  4. Jester4422

Jester4422 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'd rather not make it in if it means Seattle wins the triple. Too high of a cost.

5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Not to put the cart ahead of this horse, but, if we beat LA, RSL will have a home game after I move to Salt Lake.

So I think I'm going to pull for a win. I guess.

RSLer repped this.
  6. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yessssss, I'm glad it's the Saturday game, means I can actually enjoy some good Utah beers before the game starts instead of worrying about work the next day. Thanks for taking care of business, Portland.

Can't wait, my first playoff game at the RioT!

15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how they played against Seattle I wonder if they have lost their mojo? They will have Keane and Gonzalez back so that will change things.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I've always thought we match up really good against LA. Not sure why, but it's always a good series.

9. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Bonus Game C!

A bit unfortunate that Keane sat out the Seattle game. More chance he'll play next weekend. Here's to a big smack on the a** for Donovan to help send him out on a not so high note.

10. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Or if Vancouver wins, no?

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that would be the case, since LA would already have one for being 2nd, since Seattle can't hold two spots.

Side note: Here's hoping DC crashes out before the final. As bad as our history is hosting finals, I'd much rather being cheering the team at home if we make it to the final. Even though we lost, that game against Monterrey is still one of my favorite memories as a fan.

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if we win, that means it's the last game Landon Donovan plays in MLS? Because LA is out?

13. JZK316

JZK316 Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Land of Leprechauns
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver is ineligible to take the spot as they are a Canadian team, so it would just go down the line on standings.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think you stated this wrong. If Vancouver didn't win the Canadian CCL berth (which they did this year), but ended up winning MLS Cup, they absolutely would get the CCL berth for MLS Cup. This is just like Seattle and the US Open Cup berth.

MLS Berths (apologies to NASL, USL, etc...):
    1. US Open Cup - SEA
    2. Eastern Conference - DCU
    3. Western Conference - LA (due to SEA already having the US Open Cup slot)
    4. Canadian Championship - VAN
    5. MLS Cup - TBD
    If any of those 4 teams win MLS Cup, then it automatically goes to the next highest regular season record, regardless of conference: RSL.

So Dallas is the only WC team that could spoil it for us. BOOOOOO DALLAS!!!:mad:

If DCU got into the final, then any other team besides Dallas from the WC making it to the final would guarantee a CCL berth.

GO DCUUUUUUUUUUUU!:)

And there you have it.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually a Canadian team can't get a CCL berth through anything other than that Canadian cup thing they do. The ones for MLS Cup, SS, etc, are all for US based teams, as those are the CCL berths given to the US by CONCACAF.

15 to 32, rslfanboy and Ismitje repped this.
  16. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or is it a home and away?

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Oh, wait. Duh. You're right.

However, if Vancouver wins MLS Cup, then RSL still goes through.

18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought the same thing, but it might be revisited if a Candian team were to win MLS Cup. The English FA had to consider the same situation for their Europa berths when one of the Welsh teams (Cardiff City, I believe) finished in one of qualifying positions. The FA made an exception and gave the berth to them, regardless of their national affiliation. But I don't think this will happen because it's Canada we're talking about.

19. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It is home and away. So we could see the next to last Donovan game...

20. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be getting sick or something if I forgot this. I think I need a vacation.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard LA is going to be exciting November 8/9

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would really love to see us go on another playoff run, but a CCL spot would be a decent way to end the season.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, would you look at that, we're playing LA in the playoffs. Who woulda thought!
    I this this was the preferred matchup (between LA/Seattle) but it's going to be a hell of a series if we're going to pull it out. I fear LA is going to be playing with a fight similar to when Golden Balls called it quits here. We have to play lights out on defense and find a solution up top fast if we want to pull this out.

Anything short of a 2 goal win in this first leg and I'm not overly hopeful. Though, the implementation of the away-goal rule this year should really make this first leg a lot more exciting that would usually be the case with Bruce Arena.

RSL needs to win, yes, but it would actually be better to win 1-0 than 2-1. Or better yet, 2-0 over 3-1.

Bottom line: cannot give up a goal in this first leg if we want an edge in LA

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  24. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I expect Keane will be back in the lineup, but perhaps Gargan and Sarvas get the disciplinary boot this week due to their dust-up in Seattle. Going to be tough one - would be nice to have Schuler back. I think Salcedo has done a good job in his place, but he got burned bad by LA last year, especially by Keane. Perhaps he's improved since then, but I guess we'll see.

My only wish is for the Sounders to turn into the Flounders about now. Winning a double is bad enough, but think of what they'll be like if they win the triple - "Best MLS team ever", "most dominant/consistent/etc. MLS team of all time", etc. Never mind that LA ran away with the best goal differential all year and broke even with Seattle in their 3 game series (1-1-1).

25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm rooting for FCD, because if we get past this series, I don't want to play on some horrible carpet.