RSL News :: 2008, part I [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Agreed. I don't think it will mean much at all.

A victory will be no major injuries. It's as as pointless to get upset over scrimmage losses as it is to get euphoric over scrimmage wins. Part of me wishes they didn't even keep/report scores.

2. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I agree completely. I could not have said it better - there is so much line-up tinkering, player evaluations, etc to get any real indication of how the team is going to play when it matters.

Perhaps a week or two before the season opener you might get some idea - but even then, it's last minute adjusting/tinkering.

EDIT - I tried to rep you but it said I had to spread it around before doing it again... I swear I don't rep you that much! ;)

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Craig Ziadie--there's a name I haven't seen in forever.

4. Xenofred

Xenofred New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    I agree with both you and RSLFM, but the fact of the matter is they do report these things. Sadly, the only thing that MLSnet can report about RSL is negative information. I've been looking for stories on RSL for weeks. They've had two pre-season wins and a lot of good things happening, but what does MLSnet chose to report:

Preseason roundup: RSL goes down
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080220&content_id=139793&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

It seems like they perpetuate the hype, meaning if your team has done well or is highly popular, they're positive; whereas if your team hasn't done so well and isn't as popular, they're negative. I don't think it's appropriate.

5. Stella FC

Stella FC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so...do either of these reports not count as MLS reporting on RSL's wins?

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080210&content_id=138570&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20080209&content_id=138527&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a pretty upbeat, two week old MLSNet column from Jeff Bradley - First XI - Get Real.

7. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
  8. utrossonero

utrossonero New Member

Mar 4, 2005
    RSLStadium Sec 21 RA
    Didn't see this posted yet.

Borchers is a key piece of RSL rebuilding process

"While resting his ankle this offseason, Borchers got in contact with Robin Fraser, "and he told me a lot about the team and the changes that were being made, and I was really excited to come back," said Borchers."

"Borchers' agent contacted both San Jose and Toronto and informed them his client wanted to play for RSL. With Toronto general manager Mo Johnston in the picture, cooperation was complicated. Johnston is the same person who selected then-RSL star Jason Kreis in Toronto's expansion draft two years ago despite no intention of keeping him. He knew RSL would cough up the cash to keep him, a brilliant move on his part."

9. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS still viable in S. Florida

Seven years after the Fusion played its final MLS season at Lockhart Stadium, Major League Soccer returns to Broward County with tonight's friendly between the Colorado Rapids and Real Salt Lake at the new 5,000-seat cricket stadium in Lauderhill.

10. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my dad updated Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008 to the latest version (with all the January Transfers). It has all the players, except Borchers, for Real Salt Lake. Plus, Olave is rated well above the rest of the Backs on our team. Just thought, I would pass on that I guess this game has high thoughts for Olave, as well.

11. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  12. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Final from FL...
    2 RSL
    2 Rapids
    "RSL controlled the play in the midfield, but never to get anything going once they were 25 yards out."

(hmm... get used to this)

13. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a report from the game (thanks to RSLFM.com for the link)

http://thesportsgranola.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/real-salt-lake-2-colorado-rapids-2/

This is the quote I found most interesting.

RSL controlled the play in the midfield, but never to get anything going once they were 25 yards out.

Why do I get the feeling that we are going to be seeing a lot of this in the coming months?

LOL. RSLFM, you beat me to the punch. :)

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So both goals were scored from more than 25 yards out?

15. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Scoring:
    '19 COL: Erpen (Cooke free kick)
    '40 RSL: Movsysian "tap in" (Sturgis)
    '52 COL: O'Brien (Kirovski)
    '81 RSL: Espindola (18 yard free kick)​
    EDIT: Official RSL Communications match report now posted in full HERE

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A different POV
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?NID=4T5Q/2380KY=

RSL's lineup
    Nick Rimando (Chris Seitz 45), Ian Joy (Tony Beltran 60), Nat Borchers (Dustin Kirby 60), Matias Mantilla (David Horst 60), Chris Wingert (Craig Ziadie 60), Kenny Cutler (Matias Cordoba 60), Javier Morales (Kevin Reiman 60), Nathan Sturgis, Andy Williams (Alex Nimo 60), Robbie Findley (Fabian Espindola 45), Yura Movsisyan (Indra Daud 45)

17. Dunlap Branch FC

Dunlap Branch FC New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Utah
    Not exactly a confidence builder. I am concern that this team is not getting enough games against MLS team or better teams. Integrating all of these new players needs game situations to create an adequate understanding between them.

Stay in Florida RSL. Get more game against other MLS teams in the area. Play Yura, Espindola, Cordoba, Morales together (not like tonight) and get Dema and Beckerman in there when given the chance. Bring in the Lynn FIU of the world for scrimmages practicing game situations as a check on whether or not the second team is competing hard and pushing the first team.

Blackburn was in Florida earlier this week. Pay them how much it will take to play against them. Let JK get tutored by Mark Hughes on how to manage the game. Let the defense try to isolate Santa Cruz. Make Stugis understand the concentration needed to defend Morten. There was an opportunity lost.

18. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    They have 3 scrimmages in Argentina. If one of these is against Newell's Old Boys that will be a pretty good test. I agree that many other clubs are facing MLS competition in these preseason tournaments and we are missing out. We are already going to struggle with all the new faces, we could get off to a slow start.

19. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    No doubt this will be the problem. I do expect RSL to score off counterattacks, especially early in the season when the play in general is still sloppy and teams haven't adjusted to RSL having a compact midfield which tackles well. They should be able to win a lot of balls in midfield and feed Findley early. They could have some set play potential, but the question is, will anybody foul them? I'm still not sure I see enough individual talent to expect teams to have to take our guys down in front of the box all the time.

If RSL is going to score any decent number of goals, they need to be great on corners and on crashing rebounds in the box.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means we need to develop skills we have not heretofore shown.

21. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Well - A win this time, but we aren't exactly burning the nets. It is interesting (if it's correct) that we scored in the first minute.

Real Salt Lake 2 : 1 Florida Atlantic University
    RSL Spring Exhibition #6
    Saturday, February 23, 2008
    Holiday Inn Sports Complex – Sunrise, Fla.

Scoring Summary
    RSL – Kyle Brown 1 (Tony Beltran 2) 1
    RSL – Indra Sahdan Daud 2 (Robbie Findley 1) 50
    FAU – (goal) 52

Discipline Summary
    None

Real Salt Lake Line-up: GK-Kyle Reynish; DF-Tony Beltran (Brennan Tennelle 22), DF-Dustin Kirby, DF-David Horst, DF-Craig Ziadie; MF-Salim Bullen, MF-Matias Cordoba, MF-Alex Nimo (Kenny Cutler 45), MF-Kevin Reiman; FW-Tino Nunez (Indra Sahdan Daud 45), FW-Kyle Brown (Robbie Findley 45

22. ravenrooney

ravenrooney Member

Sep 21, 2006
    If you'll notice, the majority of our lineup is reserves, and we did just play a game last night, so I wouldn't expect this to be a total sweep.

23. TheAntiKreis

TheAntiKreis New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This was a lineup designed to expose mistakes and decide who to cut. But this needs to end soon. Kreis has to know who is best eleven are by early March and work on bringing that group together on the field. Then, barring injuries, he's got to give that eleven a run of 4-5 MLS games before deciding to make changes. However, I'm worried we'll start slowly with an entirely new back line that will let in many goals, forcing Kreis to chop and change in the first few games of the season.

Competition for places in fine and dandy, but the first step to molding players into a team is for the coach to know his best eleven. I don't think Kreis had a clue about this last year.

24. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    The contract compliance date is March 3rd. Garth has said that they will be taking what they view as their opening day roster to Argentina. They will have some trialists join them in Argentina, and they could always add the much elusive forward at some point. But I believe Argentina will be about getting the team in to form for opening day, and figuring out who the starters will be.

25. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Ouch! I wish I could debate the accuracy of this, but they've got a point.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_8350091