RSL in the 2005 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    To be honest, I don't see a lot of trolling here.... one post in the entire thread that hasn't some actual value to it? Besides I do believe that it was said earlier (by you, no less):

2. imanust

imanust New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    So, prk166, I did not see you visiting with us at the pre-game tailgate, or maybe I was too engrossed in grilling burgers.

There were so many new faces at pre-game and in the supporters section, it may have been difficult to pick out the traveling supporter.

Or maybe you just decided not to introduce youself to the Dark Clouds.

THE TASTE OF VICTORY IS SO SWEET

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Let 'em gloat boys.

This is as close to the Majors as Minnesota will ever get.....

Had RSL won the match, I know that us RSL boys woulda shown much more class.

Ismitje repped this.
  4. b_rad82

b_rad82 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Slick City
    Still. . . and let's be honest, it's pretty embarrassing losing 5-1 to chivas USA and the 6-4 to the Minnesota Thunder. What's next? A shootout loss to my sister's U14 team?

We (the team) need to get our ---- together. We're playing horribly. Maybe we should just offer all the Thunder players MLS contracts and switch out the entire team. We might need that ref too come to think of it.

Okay, enough of my rant. I'm very demoralized right now, and it's even worse to think I won't be in town for the next home game. If we can just win one on the road. . . even a tie would feel pretty good right now. Hell, if we could just put 90 minutes together - even a loss would feel good.

Here's to the future success of RSL and all of us living and dying with them.

Força RSL

we could use a nickname too by the way

Ismitje repped this.
  5. Mockba

Mockba Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Jul 1, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you point is...? As if Salt Lake somehow deserved to get an MLS team? Hardly. You got lucky to have someone with the big bucks needed to plop a Franchise FC in your city... oh, yeah, and to run the already-established PDL team out of town. That's the nature of the beast in MLS--it has nothing to do with fan interest, and only vaguely with market viability (see also: the ridiculousness that is Chivas USA). Hell, they're talking about putting an MLS team in Milwaukee, a place where two previous USL/A-League teams have failed.

Even after giving up SIX goals to a USL-1 side, RSL fans are pounding their chests, as if their first-year "club" has truly earned top flight status. Yup, that's "class" alright!

All I know is that last night's score was 6-4, and that the Minnesota Thunder is through to the fourth round of the US Open Cup, after defeating a team in the "majors"... oh, yeah, and that RSL's Open Cup run is done.

Oh, and that Colorado (a sucky established team) will make the playoffs, while RSL (a sucky expansion team) won't. But, that's ok, I'm sure the Thunder will be happy to beat the Rapids for you guys, so you won't feel so left out.

6. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

I smell jealousy. Minnesota is rank with it. :p

7. Thunderpac

Thunderpac Member

Feb 16, 2000
    NE Minneapolis
    6-4

What a joke. First one of you invites us to talk smack. We do so and you get angry. Then you invite us to come back and gloat if we won, which we did, and you get angry about that. You troll Thunder fans and then complain that we are trolling. Your flagship fan is a guy who lives in MN and was a Thunder fan right up until he decided to move to SLC a few months ago, at which point he turned on the Thunder and became an RSL poseur. What a joke.

The closest MN has ever been to the majors is back in the 70's and 80's, when the highly successful Minnesota Kicks led the league in attendance a few years and averaged over 30,000 fans per game two years in a row (http://home.att.net/~nasl/nasl.htm). The Thunder have been around since 1990 and have always had great support and fielded great teams. Between the Kicks, the Minnesota Strikers NASL team of '84, and the Thunder, we've got 22 years of top notch soccer history compared to your half year of great support and a crappy team.

Thanks to those RSL fans who have been cool and classy with the loss. To the whiners, get some history behind you and most of all get the cajones to put your money where your mouth is.

8. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well considering Chivas and the Thunder are on par with your sister's U14 team - I guess the answer is "yes"... :eek: :confused:

9. Mockba

Mockba Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Jul 1, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, you pegged me. I'm totally jealous of your 6-4 ouster from the US Open Cup. Completely green with envy.

:rolleyes:

History > Bandwagoning

10. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Then why can't you stop humping RSL's leg on these boards?... You've got 5 posts to you in total on BigSoccer and all 5 have come here in the RSL boards.

I took my hat off to the Thunder and gave them the credit they deserved (see above) - good win. We played horribly and the Thunder played great. You did a great job pulling equal in the 88th minute, and winning in Extra Time.

If you're not jealous... then let it go. Do you want to know how many posts I have on your boards? ... HINT - begins with "z", ends with "o", and rhyms with "nero".

11. Mockba

Mockba Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Jul 1, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You certainly did, aosthed. I never said otherwise. In fact, I wasn't responding to anything you said at all. Your fellow RSL fans, if this thread is to be believed, seem to still believe that the Thunder don't deserve to even exist, despite the outcome of the game.

These aren't closed membership boards--and neither are the boards on usldiscussion. This is a topic about a game including RSL, not some RSL "safe area." The group here started demeaning our club before the game, spouting off about how RSL's status in MLS made RSL obviously superior. The game was played, RSL lost... and the snobbish air of superiority still lingers. Hence, a response from the other side.

But, I suppose it is time to move on this topic, since our club has moved on to the next round, and the only thing involving moving and your club is the existing club that was moved out to make way for Franchise RSL.

Good luck to you and RSL in the rest of the season.

12. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    You can't help yourself can you?

13. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 6-4

Sorry that some of the posters have been a bit hostile. I think that even though we are an expansion team and first season struggles are to be expected, giving up 11 goals in 2 matches is simply brutal and many RSL fans are getting discouraged and taking it out on whoever they can. Hope RSL turns it around soon, and that the Thunder have a long run in the Open Cup.

And who knows what the future holds? Maybe the next time RSL plays a team from Minnesota, it will be against a new MLS expansion team in 2008.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: 6-4

Flagship fan? poseur? WFT??? Seriously, you're mommy didn't teach you about making assumptions. Years ago I got Thunder season tickets but havent' for awhile. I frankly got frustrated with the level of play, driving to Blaine, the lack of coverage, the long ball play, and such. TO be a fan is to be fanatic; that stopped long ago. YOu can come here and have your fun but there's not need to be fictional with my biography. :mad:

15. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Seriously, take this to rivalries. You're just digging a hole for yourself. Or do I need to point out the logical conclusion to your points here?

16. Mockba

Mockba Member

Minnesota United
    United States
    Jul 1, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Between work, traffic, and running down to Savage to get the camera (doh!), I got there right after the national anthem.

ONly because I could sense the evil! :)

Seriously, going into the match I figured I'd be 50/50 and just happy to see the game. But it didn't feel that way. In fact, when Clint flipped out at Kries, I had visions of storming past security (don't let those 12 yr old ball girls fool ya, they're tricky and tough!) and kicking Cleatus in the head, I knew I was "doomed". :)

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Freddy Juarez played in this game; he was a Thunder player in 2005. I can't find a box score for the game, just scores. I am curious whether our new coach played against us is all. Petke did, several times for both Colorado and the Red Bulls.

(Too big a thread bump? Nah!)

BalanceUT, RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine he did play against us since Minnesota was playing against a MLS club and they would bring out their best eleven.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. I’m impressed by this bump.

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That thread just reminded me that I was a serious lurker back in 2005. LOL

22. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oh, the good ole days, 2005.

I'm surprised I didn't post on this thread originally, but back then I was splitting my message board time between here and realsaltlake.org